• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Yeah, but that was 80 4gal food-grade buckets with gasketed lids for $70 total. I'd go broke paying $4-5 each at Home Depot. Two years ago I bought an entire pallet of 5gal buckets with lids from some place in Elkhart for $85(140 buckets)and I felt so bucket rich I generously gave them away to anyone I thought might could use them,.....and I've had to resupply with buckets twice since then. I'm keeping this batch hidden.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    find some painters and see if you can take their used paint buckets...just make sure nooone took a crap in them first

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    find some painters and see if you can take their used paint buckets...just make sure nooone took a crap in them first

Generally, it is recommended you use only "food grade" buckets. Those have never had chemicals in them. If you do use such a paint bucket, clean it thoroughly and don't put the food in it directly. Put the food in mylar bags.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    This week convinced the cat that the garage isn't scary (so that killing mice in there is fun).
    Last few years she didn't want to go there at all but persistence has paid off.
    :yesway:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Did some inventory on ammo and reloading components. I've got ammo in calibers I no longer own.
    Debating if it's best to keep it or trade it off.

I've been going through some similar house keeping and I'm very glad I've largely purged whatever I'm not using. Right now, it's not a hassle to get rid of anything and you're probably helping someone out who's desperately trying to find that. Who knows what it'll be like 6 months from now, but today it's easy to purge because people are paying attention to it all.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Turkeys are still $0.79/lb at Meijer and they still have hundreds of them, so tonight I grabbed one just to stuff in the freezer.

Keeping up with technology and keeping scammers at bay.
    I saw the meltdown from a large ransomware attack recently.

Had this go through my employer over the summer and hit my parents a few months before that. Living in the past with Windows 7 or other obsolete software is ill advised. I have a few I need to bring up to 10, including the one I'm on now. It's a few weeks away from being retired, so, not sure its worth the effort.

I say it falls into the prepping camp to make sure your digital game is secure too.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My vehicle bag got a very serious upgrade last night. At the end of August with all the riots & looting going on I wanted armor in my vehicle, but I didn't want a tactical looking vest that makes a person stand out like a sore thumb. I was thinking grey man, not tacticool. I saw a sale on AR500.com and that's when I became aware this even existed. I like the idea that it looks like a very simple and cheap jansport type of backpack a kid would use for school. I was a little hesitant that it wouldn't hold much gear in addition to the steel plate and still look right. I was also nervous about how it'd feel having a pack with a steel plate on my back.

I bought this in the 11"x15" version because I'm a big framed guy:
    https://www.ar500armor.com/phoenix.html

z9ZXKfu.jpg

kzmFWL7.jpg

rDN3o9C.jpg

Obviously this isn't a full review because I've had it in my hands for less than 24 hours at this point. I can say it feels well built, and the color depending on lighting seems pretty boring and not something that'd attract attention. Oddly enough, walking around my house with it on feels like a one side plate carrier or like a framed backpack. It doesn't ride bad at all, but I need to pound some miles with it before I get too happy with it.

Normally when I look at a backpack this is my list of features that are dealbreakers for me if it's missing: 1.) load lifters, 2.) pockets on hip belts, 3.) under 1 pound of weight per 10 liters of capacity, 4.) Sternum strap, 5.) External water bottle pockets that hold a bottle securely, and probably a couple other things. Basically this pack has none of the things I'd normally look for other than it stops bullets and looks like any other nerdy backpack.

Currently what all fits in it:
    Helikon poncho & swagman roll
    Mora light my fire knife with pathfinder inferno tin
    Pathfinder 32oz bottle
    Paracord ridgline with 4 stakes
    Bankline wrapped on a piece of fatwood
    First aid kit
    Snacks
    Pocket flashlight & headlamp
    Sawyer water filter

All that stuff fits in there pretty well and when I packed it up I was intentional to make sure the outermost pocket was empty so it could be filled with mags & medical if I had to abandon my vehicle. I'm actually pretty happy with how everything turned out and I'm pleased with it so far. I'll do some rucking with it and really see how it feels after a few miles. That's always the final judge.

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    My vehicle bag got a very serious upgrade last night. At the end of August with all the riots & looting going on I wanted armor in my vehicle, but I didn't want a tactical looking vest that makes a person stand out like a sore thumb. I was thinking grey man, not tacticool. I saw a sale on AR500.com and that's when I became aware this even existed. I like the idea that it looks like a very simple and cheap jansport type of backpack a kid would use for school. I was a little hesitant that it wouldn't hold much gear in addition to the steel plate and still look right. I was also nervous about how it'd feel having a pack with a steel plate on my back.

I bought this in the 11"x15" version because I'm a big framed guy:
    https://www.ar500armor.com/phoenix.html

z9ZXKfu.jpg

kzmFWL7.jpg

rDN3o9C.jpg

Obviously this isn't a full review because I've had it in my hands for less than 24 hours at this point. I can say it feels well built, and the color depending on lighting seems pretty boring and not something that'd attract attention. Oddly enough, walking around my house with it on feels like a one side plate carrier or like a framed backpack. It doesn't ride bad at all, but I need to pound some miles with it before I get too happy with it.

Normally when I look at a backpack this is my list of features that are dealbreakers for me if it's missing: 1.) load lifters, 2.) pockets on hip belts, 3.) under 1 pound of weight per 10 liters of capacity, 4.) Sternum strap, 5.) External water bottle pockets that hold a bottle securely, and probably a couple other things. Basically this pack has none of the things I'd normally look for other than it stops bullets and looks like any other nerdy backpack.

Currently what all fits in it:
    Helikon poncho & swagman roll
    Mora light my fire knife with pathfinder inferno tin
    Pathfinder 32oz bottle
    Paracord ridgline with 4 stakes
    Bankline wrapped on a piece of fatwood
    First aid kit
    Snacks
    Pocket flashlight & headlamp
    Sawyer water filter

All that stuff fits in there pretty well and when I packed it up I was intentional to make sure the outermost pocket was empty so it could be filled with mags & medical if I had to abandon my vehicle. I'm actually pretty happy with how everything turned out and I'm pleased with it so far. I'll do some rucking with it and really see how it feels after a few miles. That's always the final judge.

My church safety & security team uses these. They are filled with first aid supplies and we carry them during service, so they are always available. We put first aid patches on them so people would know that’s what they’re for, without freaking out about the plate (which they won’t have a need to know about).

A get home bag is on my list for each vehicle. This bag is a great idea.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My church safety & security team uses these. They are filled with first aid supplies and we carry them during service, so they are always available. We put first aid patches on them so people would know that’s what they’re for, without freaking out about the plate (which they won’t have a need to know about).

A get home bag is on my list for each vehicle. This bag is a great idea.

Hopefully you wouldn't get the same 4 month wait that I got, but for $100 bucks it's hard to beat.

My church still doesn't have any kind of a security team that I'm aware of. I'm the only one who I know for sure who carries, but there's probably a few more. If we ever do get one setup, I'm going to donate a orange bag of ventilated chest seals, TQ's, and pressure bandages.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Last edited:

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I finally got another set of filters for the Berkey on the way. They are only:rolleyes: a hundred bucks for a day or two more... https://www.berkeyfilters.com/products/black-berkey-replacement-elements-holiday-sale-2020

I'm gonna food color test my old filters before cleaning them again. Maybe after also? Never really did a final test on them after the drawn out vinegar cleaning procedure earlier this year.

I just ordered these and the sale price is still valid as of 8pm on 12-24.
    Very much appreciated, rep inbound. EDIT (After I spread some around)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Went through all of my gear that is fire arm related.
    Inventoried and organized the ammo locker. I am better off than I thought.
    The terrorists and I loaded all the spent mags from the last couple of outings.
    Inventoried and re-organized the magazines. Re-labeled the ammo cans they are in to easier identify contents.
    Made a solid list of the gun related projects as to up-grades and maint.
    Started on those projects. needed parts are in the mail. Going to be some serious time spent of the bench.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Added a colt delta elite 10mm to the scram bag with extra mags and ammo, ordered a heck of a lot of mags for different pistols and rifles, rotated some rifle ammo, cleaned some guns, redoing food storage, adding shelves, rearranging,added bulk water storage. been busy

Top Bottom