• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It looks like we are in the direct path of Hurricane Isaias which will hopefully be downgraded to a tropical storm before it hits. I Just serviced our generators and have 60 gallons of gas (with 20 more in equipment). Will be putting up all loose items tomorrow. We have a hand pump on a 2nd well if needed.
    This storm will not be a flooding concern but after getting flooded during Florence in 2018 we are prepared for flooding. We raised our log cabin and set it on pilings 10 feet higher than original. We just moved back in 2 months ago.

I think you posted about this when you were flooded.
    In our thoughts. Stay safe.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    It looks like we are in the direct path of Hurricane Isaias which will hopefully be downgraded to a tropical storm before it hits. I Just serviced our generators and have 60 gallons of gas (with 20 more in equipment). Will be putting up all loose items tomorrow. We have a hand pump on a 2nd well if needed.
    This storm will not be a flooding concern but after getting flooded during Florence in 2018 we are prepared for flooding. We raised our log cabin and set it on pilings 10 feet higher than original. We just moved back in 2 months ago.

Batten down the hatches and stay safe.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    A second acquaintance asked if I knew where they could buy guns and ammo.

Still building 9mm. Caught up on stored gasoline ($1.89/gal!), stored water, coffee, canned goods.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Made some repairs and serviced the generator. I have to give Orange County REMC a plug here though, my entire life I've never seen more professional and swift people in outages.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On the list of too-do's is pull out the genny's. Drain the fuel and cycle it through the truck. It is 2 years old but has been satybil-ized. Fresh fuel and run some heat into them. Top the tank/staybil-ize and put the up.

I have all the parts for 2 genny power panels 1 for each house. I need to get them assembled and installed.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been trying to make good on getting rid of excess gear that I won't use. That includes guns and ammo. I've been purging long guns and handguns in the classifieds and I'm about to list a serious amount of ammo. The only thing that makes me second guess myself, is that when I was looking for comparable prices to make sure I wasn't too far out of line on anything, absolutely nothing was in stock anywhere at all. I was amazed, puzzled, and a little saddened. I won't be out of guns and ammo after this purge, but balances the herd of equipment is very important. It's caused me to focus on exactly what specific ammo do I want to stock up on and what's never going to get shot up. For me as a precision shooter who reloads, I know it'd be a long ways down the line before I ever got to the Wolf 308 FMJ ammo, so that can go without any issue.

Backpacks were another vise/habit/overstocked item of mine. I do use the variety and I like spares as a loner for other guys, but I don't need as many as I had. I've cut down to a 80 liter, 62 liter Large Alice, 50 liter, 32 liter, 25 liter, and my dry bag backpack. That variety pack will serve me and my family well.

Once I get through the initial thinning of gear, it'll be time to focus on sharp & pointy things to get rid of. In a way it's liberating and exciting to get rid of all this extra stuff. I'm not 100% sure on where to reinvest the $$$ from all of this, but precious metals, medical, and long term food have been crossing my mind quite a bit.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Batten down the hatches and stay safe.
    The eye passed directly over us last night around 1am. We had sustained winds of 85mph. We were a little concerned being up 12 feet on pilings but there were no problems. Only lost electricity for 2 or 3 minutes. Satellite TV is out but that is not a big loss for me. We haven't found any damage except for limbs and branches down.
    Some small dead pines are down across trails. This is the first storm I have not had one or more trees down across our 1/2 mile long driveway.
    We have already set everything back out and will clean up the limbs and branches tomorrow.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The eye passed directly over us last night around 1am. We had sustained winds of 85mph. We were a little concerned being up 12 feet on pilings but there were no problems. Only lost electricity for 2 or 3 minutes. Satellite TV is out but that is not a big loss for me. We haven't found any damage except for limbs and branches down.
    Some small dead pines are down across trails. This is the first storm I have not had one or more trees down across our 1/2 mile long driveway.
    We have already set everything back out and will clean up the limbs and branches tomorrow.

Have been thinking about you folks.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County

Glad you made it through without damage or injury:yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got I genny serviced and ran it for an hour. Fresh stabilized fuel in the tank and fresh oil in the crank case.
    Putt the old gas in my truck on top[ of 3/4 full tank. Should do fine as the genny fired right off and ran before I drained it.

Tomorrow I will do the other one.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    made 5 cups of pizza sauce and 1/2 a batch of marinara last week. Froze a bunch of tomatoes this week as I have not had time to process them.

Struggling to find 5 gallon buckets (food grade). Still on that mission.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Rotated and restocked the storage barrels, added another surgical and trauma kit. Canned up lots of goodies from the garden...tried zucchini relish for the first time, seems to be a good variation on the classic. Our beans are going gang busters so we made some quarts of Dilly Beans - think dill pickles but with green beans; we like to add some crushed red peppers for a bit of bite.

Top Bottom