What grand adventures did you not take that you wish you had?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Really, none. Every 'adventure' I turned down was due to taking another one or because family comes first. The one I wish I'd been able to take without interfering with 'family comes first' was the port security job in Jamaica. $160k/yr to operate an MVACIS machine. One of our ex-Ghurkas took it, contract lasted 18 months. That's nearly 50 times the average annual income in Nepal. Good money for us, lottery money for them. I'm glad he was able to benefit from it.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I was shocked how close the pyramids are to the urban sprawl of Cairo.

My plane stopped in Cairo enroute from Riyadh to NYC - never got off the plane, but I was quite surprised that I could see the pyramids anyway. Amazingly close. Altho it is a wonder I saw them because of all the smog. Cairo air was filthy.

When I was still single there was this married gal at a wedding without her husband, and she was drop dead gorgeous, stunning figure. Just stunning. Did I mention stunning? And, shall we say, the romance of the wedding had her all amped up. Yowza.

But she was married. (But stunning!) And the appearance differential was substantial. I don't know if I mentioned how absolutely stunning she was, but as for me, I am....not stunning. On the scale from Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime to Arnold's twin brother in that one movie, I'm less Arnold and more brother. My intellectual side said "The fact that this stunning goddess wants you indicates a butt-load of crazy". Speaking of butts, she had.... well never mind. She was stunning.

Ahem.

Anyway because she was married, and because the great big flashing red warning light of crazy doom was flashing so fast in my brain that it was starting to smoke, I declined as gracefully as possible. Happily she did not go all Fatal Attraction on me. That was a serious test of my ability to make a sensible, morally correct, wise decision, which I passed. Dang it.

Did I mention how stunning she was? Yowza.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My plane stopped in Cairo enroute from Riyadh to NYC - never got off the plane, but I was quite surprised that I could see the pyramids anyway. Amazingly close. Altho it is a wonder I saw them because of all the smog. Cairo air was filthy.

When I was still single there was this married gal at a wedding without her husband, and she was drop dead gorgeous, stunning figure. Just stunning. Did I mention stunning? And, shall we say, the romance of the wedding had her all amped up. Yowza.

But she was married. (But stunning!) And the appearance differential was substantial. I don't know if I mentioned how absolutely stunning she was, but as for me, I am....not stunning. On the scale from Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime to Arnold's twin brother in that one movie, I'm less Arnold and more brother. My intellectual side said "The fact that this stunning goddess wants you indicates a butt-load of crazy". Speaking of butts, she had.... well never mind. She was stunning.

Ahem.

Anyway because she was married, and because the great big flashing red warning light of crazy doom was flashing so fast in my brain that it was starting to smoke, I declined as gracefully as possible. Happily she did not go all Fatal Attraction on me. That was a serious test of my ability to make a sensible, morally correct, wise decision, which I passed. Dang it.

Did I mention how stunning she was? Yowza.

#1 - Never look at doing the right thing as a missed opportunity.
    #2 - Just from your description, she had clearly more than just going for a guy (yourself) you self-deprecatingly describe as far lesser than she on the attractiveness scale to evidence crazy.
    As they say, never stick your **** in crazy.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Advice to live by from oldpink.

My life so far has been long and interesting, just hope it goes on for a while longer.:)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Well, this morning I get worst father of the year by causing a missed opportunity for my son. Both of our alarms failed to go off and I failed to get him to his baseball travel team tryout this am.
    Backstory: he grew 12" a year for 2 years and had Osgood slaughter (knee pain from rapid growth) up until about 1 yr ago. Because of that only played rec. league bball. After he realized it isn't painful to simply walk he really got into it. Has spent all last winter and this summer taking private lessons/ going to clinics, and playing with the goal of hitting a lot of travel team tryouts. He has real expectations and knows he is playing catch up but to simply fail to show up to one of the teams he had a good chance of getting on is a hard blow.
    We are fighting some bad upset and depression today, this is a fresh one.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    While I had some great opportunities it all seems to work out in the end.

Only one I wished I had "moved" on and there is no way I am putting it out there for the world to see. Let's just say it would be one to scratch off the bucket list. "Giggity"

Now if you want to talk regrets I have some of those I wish I could go back on!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Advice to live by from oldpink.

My life so far has been long and interesting, just hope it goes on for a while longer.:)

Mine as well. Yes, there were some interesting and very tempting opportunity's that had I taken my life would have not the one I have today. No matter where you go, there you are. To have deviated from the path traveled would have totally changed the destination. Or something like that.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    It's always a girl, isn't it?

It certainly was for me. High School friend that I never thought I had a chance with. We got together many years later and it really would have worked out if I hadn't of still been so wild and thought the next best thing would come along. She's been married to the same guy now for 30 years now and can't help but wonder what could have been if I'd of stayed with her. The one thing she taught me was, underwear will get in the way of passion. (Or a mad husband coming home early)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, this morning I get worst father of the year by causing a missed opportunity for my son. Both of our alarms failed to go off and I failed to get him to his baseball travel team tryout this am.
    Backstory: he grew 12" a year for 2 years and had Osgood slaughter (knee pain from rapid growth) up until about 1 yr ago. Because of that only played rec. league bball. After he realized it isn't painful to simply walk he really got into it. Has spent all last winter and this summer taking private lessons/ going to clinics, and playing with the goal of hitting a lot of travel team tryouts. He has real expectations and knows he is playing catch up but to simply fail to show up to one of the teams he had a good chance of getting on is a hard blow.
    We are fighting some bad upset and depression today, this is a fresh one.

Sounds like it's time for him to have a "life lesson".
    If he REALLY wants something, he'll take more responsibility.
    Get him an alarm clock.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    No real regrets on what I've missed.
    Maybe a few on the ones taken though.
    But not really though, as the great Captain Kirk said (paraphrased), "I don't want my mistakes erased. My mistakes are what make me who I am."

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    During my senior year of college with graduation rapidly approaching and the job search ramping up steadily I had an opportunity for a temporary position doing research for the USFWS in Alaska. Other than preferring a degree in biology the main qualifications were: 1. Must be comfortable and proficient handling firearms. 2. Must be capable of handling a 12 gauge with slugs or rifle of at least .375 caliber. 3. Must be willing to defend self and others against aggressive bears. It sounded like quite the adventure and likely would have been a good way to get my foot in the door with the USFWS but my girlfriend and I were getting serious so I turned it down. It ended up working out well since we've been married for 7 years and I ended up with a local job doing work many people would have paid to do..... and I didn't get mauled by a bear! 

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have to ask Indiucky. He documents all of that stuff.

I painted this that one time....

eclipse1.jpg
    2Q==

2Q==

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I graduated college in 1990. Spent June & July unemployed and looking for work and direction.

So lots of free time, some cash in the bank, and Pink Floyd announces they will perform "the Wall" live at the (just came down) Berlin Wall. I got as far as calling about plane tickets before I talked myself out of it. Would have been epic.

Top Bottom