• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Couple of these signs got posted along the neighboring treeline. Anyone know any particulars about what the posting might mean?

20231218_092906.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Some info here.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Couple of these signs got posted along the neighboring treeline. Anyone know any particulars about what the posting might mean?

View attachment 319518

Looking at those nails, they may have been up for a while. It means they've decided to SAVE on property taxes...

Supposedly, you need to submit a management plan and have the forester out every few years. I had a chat with the local forester before I purchased a property that had some land in the program.

He alleviated all the concerns I had and is just a phone call away if I need him. If I decide to build on any of that land (or use it for an unapproved purpose), I can take out that small section, not just acre by acre.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks! This explains a lot.

These signs went up this last summer. I thought maybe it had something to do with hunting or shooting or trespassing?

Other neighbor has a backyard shooting range in the valley next to where these signs were placed. Sounds like it has nothing to do with them?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Thanks! This explains a lot.

These signs went up this last summer. I thought maybe it had something to do with hunting or shooting or trespassing?

Other neighbor has a backyard shooting range in the valley next to where these signs were placed. Sounds like it has nothing to do with them?
    Absolutely nothing to do with that, they likely just found out a good way to save on property taxes, $0.13/acre for land in the program.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I have family that is in this program. Many years later they truly regret it. It really limits what you can do to your land.

Chuck

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I don't recall. But the prospect of paying the back taxes plus interest and a fine per acre made them regret it.
    The fine is nominal, and the back taxes are variable.

Since the seller of the place I bought didn't disclose this in the listing, I had asked that they remove it from the program. IIRC, it was under $3,000, but they were adamant they would not be doing it.

Since they put a new roof on the place and everything else we asked for, I let it go.

Again, you do not need to pull out full acres if you are building on it, just small sections. Hunting, fishing, even cutting sections of timber are allowed.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    The fine is nominal, and the back taxes are variable.

Since the seller of the place I bought didn't disclose this in the listing, I had asked that they remove it from the program. IIRC, it was under $3,000, but they were adamant they would not be doing it.

Since they put a new roof on the place and everything else we asked for, I let it go.

Again, you do not need to pull out full acres if you are building on it, just small sections. Hunting, fishing, even cutting sections of timber are allowed.
    How much land was in the program?

chuck

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    How much land was in the program?

chuck
    Less than 20 acres. So fines, 10 years of back taxes and fees were under 3k. If you call your county assessor, they can do the math on costs to remove all (or some) of a property from the program.

My in-laws have had 100+ acres in the program for 25+ years. If they ever pull it out, they will be $$$ ahead.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I have family that is in this program. Many years later they truly regret it. It really limits what you can do to your land.

Chuck
    It promotes good forest management, no grazing animals, and no building structures on permanent foundations. Makes sense if you want to get a tax break and maintain your property for forest production.

If you want to pay full taxation, run hogs, build pole barns then by all means, don't enter the program.

The rules are laid out pretty straight forward.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It promotes good forest management, no grazing animals, and no building structures on permanent foundations. Makes sense if you want to get a tax break and maintain your property for forest production.

If you want to pay full taxation, run hogs, build pole barns then by all means, don't enter the program.

The rules are laid out pretty straight forward.
    Exactly.
    I have 50 acres enrolled in that classified forestry program.
    Property taxes for that 50 acres last year was $19.
    It is 50 acres of unimproved woods, but 90-95% of it is in a flood plain that precludes building anyway.
    We bought the property for the sole purpose of hunting so for us the program is ideal.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Does anyone know off the top of their head if there is a minimum parcel size? I've got a 1.7 acre parcel across the road which is in a flood plain but the county is raping me with residential property taxes on it. They don't seem interested in correcting the issue, if I could Charlie Brown it out from under them it would be well worth the effort.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Does anyone know off the top of their head if there is a minimum parcel size? I've got a 1.7 acre parcel across the road which is in a flood plain but the county is raping me with residential property taxes on it. They don't seem interested in correcting the issue, if I could Charlie Brown it out from under them it would be well worth the effort.
    10 acres.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    How convenient.

I'd fight it if its in a flood plain. You cant build on it because of that, right @phylodog ?

IF not I wonder if you could get it reduced since its not suitable for building on.
    Correct. There was a house on it at one time, the county came in and raised the road bed and the house began to get flooded on occasion. The previous homeowners apparently walked away from it, H.U.D. condemned it, dug a hole and buried what was left of the house and rezoned it flood plain.

I bought it from a friend who went to the county about getting it changed and they refused, told him they don't do anything which results in lower property taxes. I haven't personally tried, I don't tend to handle things that don't make sense well, particularly when no one can or will even bother trying to explain the justification for it so I'll need to be in a very, very, very good mood before I attempt it. Been here five years, haven't been in that good of a mood yet.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    How convenient.

I'd fight it if its in a flood plain. You cant build on it because of that, right @phylodog ?

IF not I wonder if you could get it reduced since its not suitable for building on.
    The program has been around since the 1920s (IIRC) to preserve forests and they encourage that by reduced taxes. Not sure how 1.7 acres is much of a "forest", or how the taxes on that little bit of undeveloped land would be much.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I just looked into online it for Michigan. I could save 40%/year. I'm going to contact the folks in charge and see if I can get 35 of my 40 acres in it. Or all of it if I can still build my retirement house.

Top Bottom