What does the law say about letting felon shoot YOUR firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    I wouldn't let the felon touch one of my weapons:nono:, no matter what the felony. Just for the simple fact I wouldn't want any possiblity of gettin a shiny new pair of bracelets.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I don't disagree with the statute posted, I've just never rented a gun from a range. Do they require anything other than payment? Do they run a background check or have you sign affirming you're not a felon?

The renter must fill out a 4473, and the dealer must call it in to NICS, but the first paragraph says that the chapter does not apply to people with LTCH.

I've never rented either, so this is all I have to go by:

IC 35-47-2.5
    Chapter 2.5. Sale of Handguns

IC 35-47-2.5-1
    Applicability; conflicts
    Sec. 1. (a) This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) Transactions between persons who are licensed as firearms importers or collectors or firearms manufacturers or dealers under 18 U.S.C. 923.
    (2) Purchases by or sales to a law enforcement officer or agent of the United States, the state, or a county or local government.
    (3) Indiana residents licensed to carry handguns under IC 35-47-2-3.
    (b) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the state shall participate in the NICS if federal funds are available to assist the state in participating in the NICS. If:
    (1) the state participates in the NICS; and
    (2) there is a conflict between:
    (A) a provision of this chapter; and
    (B) a procedure required under the NICS;
    the procedure required under the NICS prevails over the conflicting provision of this chapter.

IC 35-47-2.5-4
    Dealer requirements before sale, rent, trade, or transfer
    Sec. 4. (a) A dealer may not sell, rent, trade, or transfer from the dealer's inventory a handgun to a person until the dealer has done all of the following:
    (1) Obtained from the prospective purchaser a completed and signed Form 4473 as specified in section 3 of this chapter.
    (2) Contacted NICS:
    (A) by telephone; or
    (B) electronically;
    to request a background check on the prospective purchaser.
    (3) Received authorization from NICS to transfer the handgun to the prospective purchaser.
    (b) The dealer shall record the NICS transaction number on Form 4473 and retain Form 4473 for auditing purposes.

Trpanther

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Don't Do It!!! Felons can not possess firearms anywhere not even at the range. Muzzleloaders are considered a firearm in the state of Indiana.

redsuperduty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    New Paris - Northern
    I would not do it in a public place like a gun range if you decide to, what if he had an accidental discharge with your gun? I have done target shooting on private property with my uncle that is 65 years old, he was convicted of a non violent felony when he was 18. It might be wrong, but I will do it again next time we are together. In my opinion it depends on the circumstances of the felon, the location and the risk you want to take.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    ABSOLUTELY DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH YOUR GUNS. I have seen some attorneys post on here that there is a distinction between state and federal depending upon firearm classification but in my experience over the last 13 years any felon seen touching and/or carrying a weapon is likely to get rung up by the local elected county prosecutor. Feds likely won't blink unless a sale or transport is taking place but for a local prosecutor this is simply meat on the table. Easy kill with no political blowback.

Additionally, unless you assist and testify that the felon had exclusive possession of the weapon for that period of time in question you will likely get an invite to court for your own aiding and abetting related offenses.

Play it safe --

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    And if you are going to let a felon shoot your guns, no matter where, for goodness sake don't post it on a frigging internet message board. One with lots of cops hanging out openly, and where there are bound to be some not so open. It's a pretty fair chance they won't all ignore it, seeing as how it's a felony and irritates some of them.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Everybody is posting about "possession"... I agree, felons cannot be in possession of firearms. This is clearly a fact. But what constitutes possesesion, exactly?

Think about this: INGO NFA DAY. At this event, people handle and shoot guns that they cannot legally possess (as they don't hold valid stamps)! Applying the same logic to that event as is being applied to felons; by shooting the NFA items, participants would be effectively taking possession of the class III firearms, thereby breaking the law.

I'm not convinced that allowing a felon to shoot my gun in my presence constitues giving him "possession" or a violation of the law. (That said, I don't know any felons well enough to invite them to shoot with me...)

Top Bottom