What do you use to paint your front sight?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I use Testor’s Model paint. If there is a Hobby Town near you they carry a myriad of different paints. Hobby Lobby used to have a good selection but it seems as if they are cutting down on some of that stuff. They still have a wide selection of various paints in different areas of the store so sometimes you have to ask.
    I use bright red or orange. Sometimes a gold dot. They are easily replaced if they get chipped or you don’t like the color.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Long before gas filled glass and fragile fishing line filament, we used and still do plain black steel for precision and painted steel for action pistol and EDC.

After cleaning with alcohol we apply the base of white and let it cure for 24 hours. Then we apply Flo orange. Been using testers for over 50 years. Works for me.

Touch up is easy maintenance.

Having solid steel painted front sights comes in handy if one needs to lay open a cheek bone or two.

See you and my sights on the range

Trapper

IMG_2369.jpeg

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I have drilled and tapped front sights for shotgun beads then filed and polished them down. I've also used a small ball end end mill to create a recess to add a drop of jig head paint.

Someone else comments to drill for a fiber optic rod. Above all suggestions, this one is the one I've used and recommend the most. The rods are cheap and easy to replace with a lighter and razor blade.

The rods come in all sizes and colors.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Several good suggestions. I have always used Testers of orange or red fluorescent for my K frames and non night sight M&Ps I have.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I have not used these but they look to be worth trying.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Looking for something to make it stand out more. First thought is a Testor florescent paint maybe a bright red??

I see paint kits for sale. But for one splash of color, I hate to buy a whole kit of colors.
    Traffic Cone Orange nail polish -Walmart. Tougher than enamel model paint. Dries quick

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom