What do you use to paint your front sight?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Looking for something to make it stand out more. First thought is a Testor florescent paint maybe a bright red??

I see paint kits for sale. But for one splash of color, I hate to buy a whole kit of colors.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Other ideas... What color do you recommend?
    It’s a personal preference on my part. Somepeople like green, white or bright orange. I have white out on one and orange nail polish on another. I can’t recommend any because it is so subjective. In side, outside, lighting conditions all make a difference. I am certainly no expert.

There are web sites that explain what colors may work better than others. This may give you an idea where to start. Don’t like it, use some nail polish remover and change it.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I am always outdoor. So bright orange or red might work best. A black front site sometimes gets mixed with the front sight protectors (If that is what you call them. The ears to the left and right of some sights) Especially on a quick sight picture.

I tried glow in the dark before on other things. Most of the time they work when charged up in bright light and them dim within a few minutes.

I love the fiber optics. But not much you can do with a post sight, besides paint.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Char it or paint it...depends upon conditions.

It's yet another advantage of iron sights... you can change it quickly on the fly if it needs to be

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    My wife and daughter's nail polish. Putting some clear over top of the colored base layer helps it "pop" a bit, and also protects it from cleaning solvent and grime for a little longer than just the base color alone.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I generally like black sights for an indoor target pistol. White is good for outside.

Marble sight company (remember them) made a sight with a bright orange insert that I put on my revolver. It face was concave, almost like a lens., really easy to catch your eye. I liked that sight for bowling pin matches, metallic plates and other action pistol type events. Sadly I traded that handgun. I have repurchased a similar revolver, but Marble sight company discontinued that style of sight, probably 20 years ago. I still miss that bright orange front sight.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I snagged some bright green fingernail paint from my wife To use on my Smith 442. I hit just the top angled part with some white first then the green. It does help it stand out some.

I generally prefer black for plinking and target shooting, but this is not a target gun!

Top Bottom