• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    I just spent the day shooting my MKIIBV .22 at a 100 yard target. It is very easy to hit small targets, we shoot at bottle caps, and spent CO2 bulbs. I have posted a target on this forum that is less the one inch, using several different manufacturers ammo. My buddy and I enjoy friendly competition, and instead of shooting groups all the time, we like small targets that react when hit.
    Bill...

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Have a model 12 fvss varmint contour, 26" barreled .300 WSM that I dearly love. They no longer offer it that I am aware of. The stock sucks and accutrigger took some getting accustomed to, but I really have enjoyed it. It's a longrange death-ray! The only thing I have done to it is free float the tang, bed the action and recoil lug and stiffen the forend. Other than a krylon job, it's stock.

I really think that they are well worth the money.

Dirty Steve

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I have a Savage 93R Varmit barrel, Accutrigger, thumb hole stock in .17 HMR. Got it used in a trade and wouldn't take anything for it. It's a tack driving keeper !! Just make sure if you get one, it has the Accutrigger.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Picture023-1.jpg

I really like my old savage 308. They don't make them like they used to.
    Beauty! I think that would be a sweet gun to have in a collection.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    That is sweet! Steel tubed Weaver? Lyman? Either way it fits the rifle beutifully!

Old steel tube weaver with post recital. I think the rifle and scope were purchased as a package at the same time. Notice the gold trigger on mine. I think it is a savage 99dl but my savage 99 knowledge base is a biit lacking. I also think that the records of savage are rather poor.

It is sweet. I just don't get to use it much here in Indiana.

Nobody seems to like to old savage bolt action rifles. I had a savage 340 in 222 rem for sale here for quite some time and finally billybob44 bought up the old baby for a song and dance.

Normally i buy used when I find something I like. I think the 1970's and 1980's were the mecca of the best guns. Better steel, newer machines and still affordable craftspersons making them. That savage predates the 1970's buy a few decades. Lever boss dates it to 1958. Not old for a savage 99.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    We've got a Savage hand-me-down in the family from my grandfather. It's from the '30's or early 40's, heavy, and built to last. We still use that dandy rifle for plinking, or target practice.

Old Savages are worth a look!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Savages

We shoot Savages in .17 Fireball, .204 Ruger, and .223. They are all but one heavy barreled varminters intended for prairie doggin'. Last weekend we took the .223s to TN for some longish range games. I was able to score hits on a woodchuck size target at 800 yards shooting 69 SMKs from my M12 LRPV. My wife beat up a 16" steel plate at 600 with 52 SMKs from a M10 FCP-K. Both of them are high-mileage factory guns. We also shot chicken eggs (white mist :D) at 230 yards with the .17s. Typical Savage accuracy.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    I have a Savage Lever action 30-30 made around 1890 I inherited. Never shot it, can’t use it here in Indiana anyway. Nice heavy old gun with a Redfield mechanical site on it.

tredwing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    My dad has a 308 Savage and with a scope he could hit a deer 100-150 yards out no problem. At the range, it seemed to have a awsome long range accuracy compared to other rifles for the price.

Top Bottom