• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I personally think good folks should be able to carry, but with 18 year olds who drink, I just can't help thinking that is going to lead to problems. As sick as it sounds, I guess one has to weight the body county from killings vs. those from kids playing around. The former we all hear about, the latter usually only makes local news.

So based on your logic, I, a 20 year old male whose sole job is to attend an institution of higher education, am automatically a drinking, reckless person with wanton disregard for safety? Give me a break :n00b:. Yeah, you alwayyyys hear about how us young'ns with LTCH's are shooting everything up :rolleyes:

:patriot:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    In all honesty, do you want your daughter harmed? I have known cases on universities where guns have been taken off students. It seems the ones we take them off usually have "issues" such as having been arrested (yet they still have a permit after attacking someone) or under restraining orders for violent acts against others. Then there are the wanna-be cops who for some reason think they should just open carry and don't seem to grasp the concept that most folks are sheeple and will freak out over that. I personally think good folks should be able to carry, but with 18 year olds who drink, I just can't help thinking that is going to lead to problems. As sick as it sounds, I guess one has to weight the body county from killings vs. those from kids playing around. The former we all hear about, the latter usually only makes local news.

18 year olds who spend their time getting drunk are not the ones who are concerned enough about their safety to bother getting a LTCH. Also, there are plenty of people in their 20's, 30's and 40's who drink and carry. The argument against college students doesn't hold water. An 18 year old who is not in college has more opportunities to carry and is not inherently any more or less likely to drink. There is another thread on the board about drinking and carrying, and you may enjoy reading it. It sheds some light on the variety of opinions.

Furthermore, people who OC are not simply wanna-be cops. That statement simply shows that you have not openly considered both sides of the discussion. I will be glad to have that discussion with anyone here, but only when they approach it with respect for both sides. I have not attacked your choice to CC, even though I could. The reaction of sheeple is not my problem, and I will not cater to it. I conduct myself politely in public, and OC when it is not imprudent to do so.

I understand your argument about kids killed in mass school shootings versus kids shot playing with guns irresponsibly. However, I disagree with your conclusion. You seem to imply that less people die as a result of mass shootings, but that comparison requires the number of people accidentally killed on campus by LTCH holders. I wont be so naive as to suggest that all LTCH are responsible- as that simply isn't true. You are correct- it comes down to statistics. I can't yet believe that your conclusion is correct.

Regards,
    Josh

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In all honesty, do you want your daughter harmed? I have known cases on universities where guns have been taken off students. It seems the ones we take them off usually have "issues" such as having been arrested (yet they still have a permit after attacking someone) or under restraining orders for violent acts against others. Then there are the wanna-be cops who for some reason think they should just open carry and don't seem to grasp the concept that most folks are sheeple and will freak out over that. I personally think good folks should be able to carry, but with 18 year olds who drink, I just can't help thinking that is going to lead to problems. As sick as it sounds, I guess one has to weight the body county from killings vs. those from kids playing around. The former we all hear about, the latter usually only makes local news.

18 year olds who drink. And why is their being on a college campus any different from elsewhere? An 18 year old who drinks on one side of the street (off campus) is OK but on the other side of the street (on campus) is not?

Or is it that the 18 year old is only going to drink on the "campus" side of the street? Or perhaps the only 18 year olds you know are on campus?

I _don't_ want my daughter harmed which is why, when she is of an age, I want her armed.

If the State of Indiana considers a person able to carry a handgun, when what hubris gives the college the right to overrule that decision?

The "body count from playing around" reminds me of the "blood will run in the streets" arguments that the antis keep coming up with whenever reducing infringement of RKBA is brought up and it keeps not happening.

BTW, "18 year olds" is a weak argument anyway. College students are only 18 for one year. Last time I looked, a basic bachelors' degree generally took at least 4 years. Do you feel the same about 22 year olds? Or how about 31-36 year olds year olds (you know, a significant portion of student bodies these days are made up of older folk returning to school--those latter numbers was the range when I went to college)?

The rules only stop the concientious and law abiding. They do not stop the careless, the criminal, or those who think the rules don't apply to them--i.e. the folk who are most likely to be a threat to my daughter.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Well, state colleges are private entities that receive tax payer money. It is no different than Lucas Oil Stadium or Circle Center Mall.

They are not. State universities are state property, are chartered by state statute, and have their governing bodies constituted according to state law. IU, for example, bans employees from carrying through work rules, and bans students through the student code. The only people who can carry are those with licenses. Even then, they'll insist that you remove yourself, if discovered, through threat of trespassing charges, not illegal carry.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    As was stated, students that are concerned with getting the LTCH and are wanting to carry are not the ones that are out getting drunk every night. Sure there are probably some expections but there are expections to just about every rule.

I think it is ridicules that student and staff are prohibited from carrying, therefore protecting themselves. It has been debated over and over whether the Virginia Tech and Columbine shootings could have been prevented/stopped sooner.

I am going to say that absolutely they could have. I don’t know if Indiana has changed their LEO training but I know several states have. After Columbine they realized by the time SWAT showed up it was too late. Their answer was to train LEO’s to enter in 4 person groups in the shape of a diamond. Even this did not stop Virginia Tech because of the delay in getting police in place. Studies have shown that the “type of person” that does these shootings has no intention of coming out alive. The statistics are staggering that show as soon as a gunman in these situations are met with armed resistance they commit suicide.

At the very least professors and staff should be able to carry and constitutionally students should be abele to as well.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    We often carried at Rose-Hulman. The Gun Clubs firearms were located on campus as well as many officers personal weapons. I do not remember if they had an specific rule for or against it, but I often carried.
    Student handbook from when I was "in":
    FIREARMS AND OTHER DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTS
    The transfer, use, or possession of explosives, fireworks, firearms, dangerous chemicals, or any lethal weapon on Institute property under any circumstances except as part of an Institute authorized activity, instructional session, event or duty is prohibited. This includes specifically resident halls and Greek housing units
    Guns had to be checked in with (and stored at) Public Safety's office. No ammo is allowed on campus outside of the .22 for the rifle team (not sure how they do that, guess they get away with it since it's a sanctioned NCAA sport). After Midgely's brief tenure, all ammo and related stuff for the club had to be removed from the club room to be stored off-site at a secured location now.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    After Midgely\'s brief tenure, all ammo and related stuff for the club had to be removed from the club room to be stored off-site at a secured location now.
    Are the weapons still in the room attached to security, just the ammo off campus? Do you have to go off campus to reload now?

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    I'm pretty sure I have no hope as Notre Dame is obviously a private school and they, I assume, have God's will over any rules that they want to make or enforce.

Top Bottom