What Changed? Four Door Trucks Are Cool…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I think the Kenworth inspired Ram really put pickups in to pop culture, then the huge increase in ride quality from coils. Forced the other makers to compete. Interiors got nicer. SUVs moved up scale, the trucks the were based on profited as well.
    GM started with the GT400 (88-98). That was a massive leap forward in comfort over the older square body and at the time anyhing from dodge or ford. You finally had a fullsize truck that would knock down low 20's on the highway, you could see out of and was large enough and comfortable enough to live with daily. In 99 the jump to the GMT800 platform made them the most car-like to date even with the rear leaf springs and the drivetrains were even better.

The dodge had looks but they still drove like a truck. Once they made them ride and drive decent with the next gen ram it was a contender (except quality holy hell were they trash)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    First, marketing. Are you saying the big three aren't marketing tarted up trucks to you as a family vehicle? Are you not arguing that they still have the attributes of a serious truck? So what does how it is marketed have to do with it's essential nature? A station wagon is still a station wagon regardless of marketing hype

Second, numbers. Using 2021 so as to get full year numbers for comparison purposes, Subaru sold 583,810 vehicles of which at least 282,000 can be definitely said to be wagons as I've broken out the models that only come in wagon form. There will be more than that submerged in other model designations, such as my wife's Impreza Sport Premium wagon which would only show undetectably as an Impreza. We did not need the raised suspension of the Crosstrek

For the same year, Ram sold 569,388 pickups. So Subaru sold 50% as many station wagons as Ram sold pickups. Ergo, the wagon is hardly dead

OH, and I drive a WRX because I can get a remarkable handling car with plenty of power and a 6 speed manual, something plenty of companies 'marketing' vehicles as sports cars no longer offer

How does that Dilbert line go? "What we do here may seem to be criminal fraud but it's not, it's marketing"

One maker still bothers with them and sells them as SUVs but they are alive and well because they sell at a fraction of one manufacturer's supply chain limited yearly sales of one alternative. Got it.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    CAFE, overwrought safety standards, and skyrocketing vehicle cost are the reason. People-hauler sedans have been killed by CAFE, and new vehicles are so ludicrously expensive that people want one truck to do everything instead of a sedan and a dedicated truck. And of course we're not allowed to have light trucks because of the chicken tax.

Overregulation is the reason for everything.

Reactions: Leo

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    CAFE, overwrought safety standards, and skyrocketing vehicle cost are the reason. People-hauler sedans have been killed by CAFE, and new vehicles are so ludicrously expensive that people want one truck to do everything instead of a sedan and a dedicated truck. And of course we're not allowed to have light trucks because of the chicken tax.

Overregulation is the reason for everything.
    And. OST sheeple have no idea of that…

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My sedan history:

1970 Ford LTD. Real American Iron, with the good and bad that entailed.

1995 Lincoln Town Car. I loved it, super super comfy, reasonable gas mileage, reasonable power, spacious trunk. Sold it with nearly 300k miles. All original drive train, even still had functional airbag suspension. Wife hated it. Called it my old man car.

2008-ish Taurus. Can't recall exactly, may have been a 2009. It was right after the Ford 500 got renamed as the Taurus. Good car, but was mainly my wife's. She was tired of SUVs and wanted a car.

2015 Chrysler 200S. Midsized sport sedan, wife wanted smaller car. 300hp, 9 speed, paddle shifters, sport seats. Nice car, they only made the generation 2 years then killed the sedan. Seats are hard, but otherwise really nice car. I just feel like I'm driving an escape pod after driving my truck.

I've kicked around a sport sedan, but just never committed to one.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    This is also true. There are trailers of all kinds everywhere, types that were not even available 50 years ago. Built in brake and lighting controllers, hitches, engine and transmission coolers were not as common back in the day. Seems likely todays trucks will pull more than they ever haul. Because they are so expensive and used for family as well as work using a trailer helps keep the truck nice. Avoiding things like chucking a piece of firewood through the back window. (Don’t ask!). LOL
    I won't ask because I don't have to. Didn't shatter the window but broke the seal all the way around. Leaked like it was open.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    More posers
    giphy.gif

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Dodge/Chrysler. Charger/300. Toyota Avalon. BMW, Mercedes, I think Lexus still does.
    I guess the term full sized has changed. I am still on the 6 passenger seating and a trunk big enough for three more defining full size. With a real trunk it is far easier to park the car as you travel without your stuff attracting attention. Like a days worth of guns and ammo for a trip to the range. Or two PA speakers with stands, a power amp, a guitar amp, a mixer board and two solid body guitars that do fit in the Grand Marquis. And it has a fill sized spare tire. That is as small as I want to go. I guess I am just going to have to make other plans.

I have been seriously considering having something like a 1972 Town Car restored and updated. I was hunting for some cars in Texas before I found the car I have now. Complete mechanical rebuild, complete interior and complete paint, maybe fresh glass. Some would think that is a waste of $30,000 plus, but a new car you don't like is pricey too.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I guess the term full sized has changed. I am still on the 6 passenger seating and a trunk big enough for three more defining full size. With a real trunk it is far easier to park the car as you travel without your stuff attracting attention. Like a days worth of guns and ammo for a trip to the range. Or two PA speakers with stands, a power amp, a guitar amp, a mixer board and two solid body guitars that do fit in the Grand Marquis. And it has a fill sized spare tire. That is as small as I want to go. I guess I am just going to have to make other plans.

I have been seriously considering having something like a 1972 Town Car restored and updated. I was hunting for some cars in Texas before I found the car I have now. Complete mechanical rebuild, complete interior and complete paint, maybe fresh glass. Some would think that is a waste of $30,000 plus, but a new car you don't like is pricey too.

Nothing wrong with the classics. You can get the same features and a bit more modern comfort in 90s Town Cars as well, but would likely hand to retro fit velour...

Tough to find 2 bench seats any anything now. Some trucks, but not all. Have to stick with lower trim levels. Sedans, at least the 300 meets the criteria other than it has a center console, so 5 person seating. Trunk space is ample and opening is large.

One reason trucks are better sedans than sedans is available tonneau covers for the truck bed. Add a cover and you've got security and water proof storage. Higher height to load, but no lip.

I remember using Armor All on the vinyl bench in my LTD. First curve I was suddenly hanging on to the steering wheel to avoid sliding completely to the passenger side.... learned to not do that and use the lap belt.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I remember using Armor All on the vinyl bench in my LTD. First curve I was suddenly hanging on to the steering wheel to avoid sliding completely to the passenger side.... learned to not do that and use the lap belt.
    When I sold motorcycles there was a customer that became a legend for wrecking his bike with Armor All on the seat. Even if it was really lack of rider skill, he blamed the Armor All.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I have 3 kids, I own a home so am frequently hauling stuff home from Lowes, HD, Menards, etc. Wanted something 4x4, plenty of room for the family, and able to haul stuff (be it kids things/luggage while we travel, or stuff for the house). The decision was pretty easy for me. Plus, its sexy. :):

1670987529942.png

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    When I sold motorcycles there was a customer that became a legend for wrecking his bike with Armor All on the seat. Even if it was really lack of rider skill, he blamed the Armor All.
    I have been known to put some of that rubberized dish mesh for cabinets on my seat.

It’s probably better just to get a Corbin seat cover.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom