• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I asked the same thing in 2021 and since then I've spent quite a bit of time in bear country. With black bears I have at least a g43 with hard cast buffalo bore. Depending on what I'm doing it will be the g43, a 357 cattleman, or a 10mm 1911. Once I carried a vaquero in 44mag.

I talked to a usfs ranger that worked in brown bear country for years and he said he carried/carries a g17 full of buffalo bore and had a wml to use as a stand off so he could push the gun into the bear if it was mauling him without knocking the gun out of battery.

All that being said I stomped my foot and hollered "go on now get!" And ran one off that way.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Don't plan to see any bears unless they take up residence in west central Indiana. If that happens I have two handguns that I would feel comforable with, Blackhawk in 41 Mag or a Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. Now if there was a real good chanceof seeing one I would take a 12 gage pump or a model 39 or model 44 Mosin. Jim.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Never seen an angry black bear. I have seen a hungry bear in the trash and a scared bear in a campground. Both were making trails after seeing me.

I would think about anything 38 special and above should do well.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Black bears aren't the threat that grizzlies are. The actual current advice is to chuck a rock at them.
    But...10mm.
    I'd carry a .44mag with hardcast, or even just .45acp with hardcast truncated cone. They're black bears, not grizzly, brown or polar; more like overgrown raccoons. Don't get betwixt a mama and her cubs and you won't have anything to worry about.
    If it’s black, fight back,
    if it’s brown, lie down,
    if it’s white, good night.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Your chances of seeing a black bear in that neck of the woods are slim at best. That said. I would take a salt shaker and a switch. If you get close enough to put salt on his tail, thrash him with a switch and you’ll be fine.

TLF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I have hunted black bear in Maine four times and have taken three bears. I would consider a .357 Mag loaded with a heavy bullet to be my minimum suggestion for black bear. I would feel confident carrying my S&W 681 loaded with either Garrett or Buffalo Bore ammo.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I asked the same thing in 2021 and since then I've spent quite a bit of time in bear country. With black bears I have at least a g43 with hard cast buffalo bore. Depending on what I'm doing it will be the g43, a 357 cattleman, or a 10mm 1911. Once I carried a vaquero in 44mag.

I talked to a usfs ranger that worked in brown bear country for years and he said he carried/carries a g17 full of buffalo bore and had a wml to use as a stand off so he could push the gun into the bear if it was mauling him without knocking the gun out of battery.

All that being said I stomped my foot and hollered "go on now get!" And ran one off that way.
    What caliber is your foot?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have hunted black bear in Maine four times and have taken three bears. I would consider a .357 Mag loaded with a heavy bullet to be my minimum suggestion for black bear. I would feel confident carrying my S&W 681 loaded with either Garrett or Buffalo Bore ammo.

Recommendations on Maine hunting?

TLF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Like I said I have bear hunted Maine four times using three different outfitters. If you have ever wanted to hunt bear then Maine is a great place to hunt and the state is beautiful(looks like northern Michigan but with mountains). Lots of guides/outfitters, good bear population, and over the counter tags. I enjoyed Maine so much that I put in every year for the Moose Hunt Lottery.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Like I said I have bear hunted Maine four times using three different outfitters. If you have ever wanted to hunt bear then Maine is a great place to hunt and the state is beautiful(looks like northern Michigan but with mountains). Lots of guides/outfitters, good bear population, and over the counter tags. I enjoyed Maine so much that I put in every year for the Moose Hunt Lottery.

Have not read the whole thread.

What are the three outfitters you used? What did you think of them and why? Are they canned hunts or wild hunts?

TLF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Have not read the whole thread.

What are the three outfitters you used? What did you think of them and why? Are they canned hunts or wild hunts?
    Two of the guides are now retired, the first guide/ outfitter I used(back in 1998) is still in business North Country Lodge outside Patton Maine. The other two guides were better IMO. I did harvest a bear at North Country, their lodge is very nice and food was great, my only complaint is they do a volume business. I was one of 20+ hunters in camp for a week. That's too many hunters. Look for a smaller operation to get more personal service. It's a fair chase hunt on stand over bait or with hounds. I've killed three bears and each hunt was a challenge and I really enjoyed it. The farther North you go in Maine the better the hunting and experience seems to be.

Top Bottom