What caliber do you use for deer hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1SG USA Ret

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Pendleton
    Well I tried a new round this year. A bolt action 25.06 using a 117 grain Hornady. No problem with stopping the deer but my son said it was too much bullet and caused a mess inside the deer. I have used a 35 Remington regularly with good success and have thought about using my .243 safe queen but it is too pretty and engraved. I also hunted with a 7mm-08 and a 300 Blackout. Would be interested in what caliber you use and do you have any significant spoilage with that caliber. All my shots are 100 to 200 yards, though I did get deer at 40 feet.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I hunt whitetail with a suppressed Ruger American in 300 BLK using 150g Winchester Deer Season XP. Longest shot I have on my property would be about 150 yards and it is plenty sufficient for that. Plus I do not have to worry about hearing damage or ear protection.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I hunt whitetail with a suppressed Ruger American in 300 BLK using 150g Winchester Deer Season XP. Longest shot I have on my property would be about 150 yards and it is plenty sufficient for that. Plus I do not have to worry about hearing damage or ear protection.
    This is the same set up I used this year but I shot 110 gn Barnes. Once I started processing my own deer, I became very aware of the damage to meat caused by too much gun.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    For deer hunting I use my marlin lever action in 44mag. Hit a deer across the top of the heart. He ran maybe 50 feet and dropped. His insides were pretty clean considering being shot in the chest. Heart was 98% still intact just ripped the tubes off the top.

Watched a buddy shoot a deer with a 30.06 the deer dropped where it stood and field dressing was pretty easy work.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Bucks in two states with two different .270's. Son has my Pa's .270. He is a fan now too.
    Daughter would go to war with her .243. She got a nice buck AGAIN this year.
    .38-55
    .45-70
    .30-30
    .44 mag, several!

A .25-06 is screaming a light bullet. It's going to scramble the egg when it hits. It's the nature of the beast.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Well I tried a new round this year. A bolt action 25.06 using a 117 grain Hornady. No problem with stopping the deer but my son said it was too much bullet and caused a mess inside the deer. I have used a 35 Remington regularly with good success and have thought about using my .243 safe queen but it is too pretty and engraved. I also hunted with a 7mm-08 and a 300 Blackout. Would be interested in what caliber you use and do you have any significant spoilage with that caliber. All my shots are 100 to 200 yards, though I did get deer at 40 feet.
    Don’t own a 25-06 but I’ve been interested in it for awhile now because of its versatility and velocity. Honestly, I’m partial to the .270 because I can shoot 90 grn. bullets up to 150 and being a Jack O’Conner fan it will take down North American game with the right bullet construction. Admittedly if I were hunting grizzly bears I would probably err on the side of caution with a .338 at a minimum. The 30-06 and .243 are are very capable. I think it’s kind of a preference and what you shoo well. If you are a retired 1SG, welcome to the show top. Army as well!

Top Bottom