What are the more reliable 22lr rifles with high cap detachable mags?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm really rethinking my 22lr rifle. The reason is because I really like high cap mags and even though Ruger is now making the bx25, I still get some jams here and there. I'm thinking of selling it and buying a rifle that was built from the ground up to be used with high cap magazines.

In particular I'm looking pretty hard at the S&W M&P15-22 MOE rifles, but I'm still open to other suggestions. I honestly don't think there is a perfect 22lr rifle out there, but I just want something that's very reliable and would work for what I want to get done.

Any suggestions?

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    but I just want something that's very reliable and would work for what I want to get done.

Any suggestions?

Question begs to be asked then..... What is it your trying to get done?

Gonna make a difference in the suggestions offered up...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm looking for an accurate 22lr rifle that is fed by reliable high cap magazines. My 10-22 is ok, but at times even the new BX25 mags fail. I've tried cleaning them and I haven't gotten to take the whole setup back out to the range since cleaning the mags, but I was thinking of looking for something that was designed to take high cap mags from the ground up rather than an afterthought.

Mostly just for fun & plinking, but if a ground hog shows up it'll be a target of opportunity. Possibly rabbit hunting, and pest control as well.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    Ok..first things first...its a .22. No semi auto .22 is going to run flawless. The .22 just doesnt have the kick of larger ammunition to get more recoil and alot of .22 ammo varies widely in its loading even in the same lot. My 10/22 was reliable..FTE/FTF here and there. just the nature of a little .22. But i have had less than normal amount of that from the S&W M&P 15-22 i picked up for the wife. It takes 25 round mags and runs like a champ if its fed the Tactical .22 ammo. Bulk brick stuff is..like everything else .22...a bit less smooth running with fte/ftf here and there. less than the 25 round mags in my 10/22..and its an easily cleared weapon.
    As for your little game hunting..whats better for hunting in semi-auto than an AR platform as it has a plethora of after market accessories and optics available.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    +1 for the S&W M&P15-22. I have a 10/22, which I love, but I also have the M&P15-22. I'm not perhaps as fastidious as others about noting every FTE/FTF, but my gestalt is that both guns run great. I usually run federal bulk for plinking and CCI for hunting. My M&P15-22 is the magpul version in coyote tan or whatever they call it, but it looks awesome and is a 10 on the fun scale to shoot! You won't be sorry if you go that way. I hear good stuff about Sig's ar type .22 too, but I don't have any first had experience with it.
    :ar15:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Teddy, have you tried the Tactical Inc mags? They're a little more than the Rugar mags but mine have been as reliable as any 22 can be

tdosha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I have the 10/22 with multiple BX25 mags and the M&P 15/22 with several stock mags also. I have noticed that neither of them like the mags completely filled. I find that if I load them at about 75%, mine run a lot smoother. I have bigger, more expensive guns, but certainly none that are more fun on the smile/cost per shot scale.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    my sig 522 hasn't had a FTE or FTF yet with full power or subsonic loads, suppressed or unsuppressed.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I've probably run 10k .22lr (maybe more) through my 15-22 and I can tell you the only time it flubs up is when the magazines are loaded improperly.

It eats everything from federal bulk to CCI Velocitors. I've also fired subsonic .22lr while suppressed with zero FTE/FTF's.

But if you fail to alternate cant of rounds in the magazine you'll have feed issues on a regular basis.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Teddy, have you tried the Tactical Inc mags? They're a little more than the Rugar mags but mine have been as reliable as any 22 can be

Great suggestion! OP, you should check out some reviews on these. They have adjustments so that you can fine tune them to your 10/22. They are highly
    regarded as reliable. I don't know if they're cheap poly one works like the more expensive aluminum or not as I have no first hand experience with them. Cheaper than buying a new rifle.

When you load you mags, are the rounds pointing at an upward angle out of the msg lips? Sometimes when a buddy loads my mags, they some how get them to b kind of flat and they never feed properly like that. I just push down on the rounds and try to get them to angle up properly. My mags have never done this to me, so it must be something about how they load them.

cory nigra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    i really like my gsg5 for a .22 caliber. its priced well and burns thru its 22 round clip. i believe its 22 possibly 28 ill have to check

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    i really like my gsg5 for a .22 caliber. its priced well and burns thru its 22 round clip. i believe its 22 possibly 28 ill have to check

Magazine%20-%20vs%20-%20Clip.jpg

Top Bottom