What are the current "good to go" hard use red dot optics?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It's been a while since I've setup an AR, but couple times I used an Aimpoint PRO. I've been very happy with them and I like them a lot. I wouldn't have any hesitation to buy another. However, I get that times change and there's other options out there as well. I'm curious what the generally accepted red dots are that are a level of quality that you can bet your life on.

Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    I went through this search a couple of months ago. After researching multiple forums, YouTube reviews etc. I came away with the impression that the Aimpoint Comp M4 was the toughest RDS out there. I also wanted long battery life, which ruled out the Eotechs for me. It is in the upper end of the price range for RDS, but this is the only RDS I am going to have on my rifles. It will be for my do everything rifle - I am downsizing to one (maybe 2) rifle(s). I wouldn't doubt that some of the more budget-friendly options are adequately robust - for me I just decided to buy once ....

I Invented the Internet

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    IN
    Aimpoint all the way. I have an EOTech and I kind of like it, just not enough to buy another due to the battery life and the fuzzy reticle. It'll get sold off at some point. I had a Trijicon MRO green dot and the battery life was pathetic so I got rid of it.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Aimpoint Pro and Eotech for similar price points. There are lots of good ones under that, but not what I would personally consider hard use worthy. YMMV or course. For what it is worth, I like the Eotech better. With my astigmatism I see the Eotech reticle much clearer than the aim point.

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    The current trend with the masses is aimpoint T2 or Eotech on a Unity Riser with a Magnifier on Unity mount. Sig Romeo 5 and holosun HS & HE series are acceptable on budget builds. A lot of the other dots on the market have quality of life or underlying conditions (phantom battery drain, low refresh rates, poor glass quality, etc). At the end of the day, it’s your gun build it to what you like.

IMG_1520.jpeg

IMG_1517.jpeg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I still kinda feel like there's good utility in a low-ish mounted true 1x- LPVO with lume, and a Holosun or similar ittybittydot on an offset mount.

Top Bottom