• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shawn156

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Indiana
    My son is 11 and has been asking to go to the range with me to shoot my 9mm. He is smaller then a normal 11 year old and I don't think he would be able to hold the gun without it kicking out of his hands. I have taken my daughter several times since she is almost 18 and she does good.
    I told him I would buy a 22 rifle for him when the money is there but he is really wanting to go. What age should I let him shoot the 9mm?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Whereabouts do you live? Some INGOers may be willing to help out with some .22 firearms to help get him acclimated.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My son could handle an SR22 by himself at age 7.

Your son will likely be able to handle it. He might have strength issues with grip strength, limp-wristing, etc (I don't know what he will be shooting) but I think he will be able to hang on to it.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Borrow something smaller and take him now. Despite what other ingoers are saying, don't let him use your 9mm yet. You know your gun and you know your son. If you say he can't handle it then i take that at face value. Nothing could be worse than having a negative first experience, it could turn him off from shooting for life.

If you can't borrow (although INGO is statewide, I'm sure someone would be willing to help) look for ranges in your area that rent guns and go that route. Good luck!

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    Teach him the rules of range and proper gun handling and take him with you. My daughter has been shooting since she was 8.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    My kids started shooting well before that and have been fine, but all kids are different. My personal recommendation would NOT be to start out with handguns of any kind. I think the ideal first gun is a bolt action .22. I got my daughter a Savage Rascal when she was 8. It's bright pink and the young boys who I've taken shooting like it more than the 15-22...no kidding! Slowly build up in recoil, starting out with a 9mm handgun would be nuts, but there's no real set age. It's all about when they can safely handle the firearm, even then start them out with 1 round loaded at a time while you're standing immediately next to them.

Crocodator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 6, 2012
    Hancock County
    I'll second the comments above - he can probably shoot just fine now with some training, but I wouldn't start him with the 9mm. My boys are 9 and 11, and they both have a great time at the range. They started with 22s (rifle then pistol) and loved them all. Now they prefer skeet shooting with a 12 gauge, but that's still pretty tough on their shoulders.

Members here are all over the state, so I'm sure you can find someone close by who would share a 22 or two for you to try with your son. If you can kick in some ammo then everyone wins.

I'll also add that when I take anyone shooting they have to learn and then explain back the safety rules before they every get on the shooting line. Whether the guest is 9 or 39, they don't touch any of my guns until I am confident that they can do so safely. This also helps them with confidence because they understand the do's and don'ts up front; there is less uncertainty and fear that way.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    i would not start him on a 9mm. 22 is the way to go. i started my boy @ 8 yo on a 22 rifle, @ 9 yo shooting a walther p22 and he loves it. he is 10 now and next time out, he gets to shoot the 9mm carbine. 9mm pistol is still too much for him.

Shawn156

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Indiana
    I don't know anyone with a 22 I can borrow. I don't get to go to the range much as well since I work a lot. I have let him hold the 9mm (unloaded of course and no mag in the gun) and it fits in his hand fine but the kick is what would worry me. I think I will save up for a 22 rifle.They aren't much and can probably get one in September.I hate back to school shopping :( They should add rifles to the list for self defense LOL

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I don't know anyone with a 22 I can borrow. I don't get to go to the range much as well since I work a lot. I have let him hold the 9mm (unloaded of course and no mag in the gun) and it fits in his hand fine but the kick is what would worry me. I think I will save up for a 22 rifle.They aren't much and can probably get one in September.I hate back to school shopping :( They should add rifles to the list for self defense LOL

We have lots of members in your area, I'd like to think one of them will chime in shortly to help you out.
    My son is 12, and began shooting bb guns around 8 or 9. at 10, he progressed to .22
    He has no desire to shoot larger calibers, and I am in no way going to press him to do so. I ask often enough, but he seems content with .22
    I've seen far too many vids of new shooters exposed to large calibers ending badly. Not worth it imo.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    When you do decide it is time to let him shoot, be it pistol or rifle, I might suggest loading a single round at a time for a bit. I even made my son shoot the 10/22 like a single shot for a period after letting him move from the Crickett (he's a lefty and the Crickett is right-handed since it was his sister's first.)

Top Bottom