• ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I though about putting this in Survival and Disaster... :rolleyes:

So today started at Midnight with watching the Ferguson Standoff/Riot until 2:30 am then got to sleep around 3:30 am, only to have to wake at 6:45am up for 8 hours of work starting at 8:15. At 11:45 am my wife calls and tells me there is water on the kitchen floor and it's coming from "under the sink".

I take lunch and come home to find water on the floor and in the cabinet under the sink but no leak... My wife tries her hardest to explain what she saw, but I can't recreate it. I look around and way up under the sink to find just a bit of fluffy blue copper corrosion on the faucet's feed lines and rust and water spots up there, and one droplet of water dangling.

I try everything I can to make it leak, I jiggle pipes and flex lines and run water down drains... nothing. Then I notice it leaks a little above the sink from the o-rings at the neck pivot when you jiggle and turn the neck... I knew that but forgot because it was never a problem before... I figured water is running down under the faucet base and in under the sink. I know this faucet has given us trouble before and it has hard water deposits all in the workings and never comes clean on the outside, plus the corrosion on the permanently attached feed lines up inside the faucet... time for it to go.

Just needs a new faucet, easy fix... or so I thought...

I try the under sink shut off valves, which have always been crusty since we moved in (probably longer)... They're seized tight but they don't leak, so I leave them and I show my wife how to shut off the water to the house at the softener if need be, and ask her to check it every half hour and I go back to work.

After work I run to Lowes and buy two Delta faucets, one $84 faucet with long plastic tubes and tapered fittings, and one $55 faucet with shorter threaded copper lines and a set of some long multi-fit flexible hoses. I borrow an extra wrench from the neighbor and tear into it.

I get the old faucet off and decide to go with the $84 faucet with plastic lines because I can just mount it and hook it up to where the plastic lines on the old one connected and be done... wrong again.

As soon as I'm done clamping the new faucet in place and start to hook up the lines my arm bumps the right basin's brass p-trap and it lets loose a steady trickle of drain water from the bottom of the trap onto my chest.... There is the real leak, a pinhole in the brass P-trap... damn Comet. :xmad: I assess the situation, and how to fix the hack job some handyman did years ago without re-plumbing the entire sink. I call my dad to bring his saw and off to Lowes I go again, I get there just before closing. I get both a Poly Pro trap and another brass trap. I get home and tear into it... and find the iron drain pipe is good after the P-trap but is 90% clogged with black gunk. :(

I pulled the disposal side off, it's the side we normally run the portable dishwasher over, and its clean so I leave it alone and start working on the nasty one. About that time my parents show up to watch the fun and dad happened to think to bring a snake with him. I cleaned it as best I could and test fit and pre-cut the Poly trap to test fit length. I chose the Poly trap because the Poly trap on the disposal side is in perfect condition, while the this side's brass one failed.

The handyman's install was a rubber coupling clamped OVER iron pipe threads then clamped to the brass trap which instead of cutting, he shoved inside the iron which of course means they touched in a salty food-water electrolyte bath... at least it never leaked.

I final cut the poly trap and pushed it inside the iron with a new coupler, clamped and screwed everything together and finished hooking up the faucet, then turned on the valves downstairs... and went to make dad proud by turning on the water and have everything work with no leaks the first time and... nothing... no leaks, no drips, but also no water.

I go over everything and find I installed the dishwasher aerator on the faucet wrong and blocked the tiny 1/4 outlet at the end of the faucet so I try again. Water now flows into the sink and down the drains but also into the under sink cabinet.

The under sink shut off valves chose that moment to spring leaks at their seals and not only that but the new drain trap leaks and so does the cold line's copper to cast iron to brass to plastic section (I know, BAD... galvanic corrosion...) I didn't make it that way, that handyman or the previous owners late husband did, I don't know, this house has surprises everywhere... it was all here when we bought the house. Crappy inspector.

I put pans under the valves and tighten the drain clamp and pipes and... everything still leaked. After taking the PP p-trap apart a few times and about to swap it for the brass one, I find a tiny piece of mold flashing folded over on the sealing surface of the sewer end of the p-trap... pick it off, reassemble, and no more leak. :yesway:

The copper - iron -copper -plastic line section is done... no amount of tightening stopped the seeping, it has finally corroded through enough that disturbing it messed up the seal at the threads. :noway:

My wife needs her shower for work... so I had no choice... I broke the valves free.

That made things worse, now they spray when on and drip when off... There too old and corroded to trust repacking. :noway:

I shut the valves, put pans under then to catch the 1 drip every 10 seconds from each, cleaned up, and showered.

Lowes and everyone else is closed, so I now have a nice shiny-new expensive kitchen faucet, fully installed... that I can't use yet.

So, day two... or day 1 of my 3 days off I was going to use for my own enjoyment... will now be spent sweating new all copper lines up to the feed lines with 1/4 turn ball shut off valves.

But I still love this old house... we're 30... it's 2/3 paid with it being our ONLY debt. It's a 1958 single story ranch with basement in a wonderful neighborhood. Hand set plaster walls and real wood hardwood floors throughout... even today's $350K+ homes don't have that. :)

Night.

Last edited:

Desdinova

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    Austin
    Good luck with that... in my experience, PEX is a giant pain in the butt. One of the six buildings that I work in was done entirely in PEX and I'd just as soon the whole thing burn to the ground before I have to screw with any more of it. Give me straight pvc anyday!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Good luck with that... in my experience, PEX is a giant pain in the butt. One of the six buildings that I work in was done entirely in PEX and I'd just as soon the whole thing burn to the ground before I have to screw with any more of it. Give me straight pvc anyday!

The PEX is the factory installed feed lines on the Delta faucet. It may not even be actual PEX. Everyting else will be sweated copper and brass.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The PEX is the factory installed feed lines on the Delta faucet. It may not even be actual PEX. Everyting else will be sweated copper and brass.

I put new quarter-turn ball valves on a sink in my house awhile back, but I used the compression fittings, since that's what the old crappy rubber washer valves were.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Both of my 1958 build homes have been totally re-plumbed and re-wired. No more Bravo Sierra nightmares.
    I occasionally run scalding hot water down the sink drains to flush any errant crap that may build up in the lines.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    And that's why I have our plumber on speed dial. In 12 years of owning rentals, there comes a point where the time is far more valuable than the money. We still do a few things, but by and large, we have the plumber out 3-4 times a year for stuff. Just easier.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Both of my 1958 build homes have been totally re-plumbed and re-wired. No more Bravo Sierra nightmares.
    I occasionally run scalding hot water down the sink drains to flush any errant crap that may build up in the lines.

If it's just gunk, and not hair + gunk, one can use baking soda and vinegar followed by the boiling water flush. Wait until the drain is dry and pour a 1/2 - 1 cup of baking soda into the drain. Not just in the bottom of the sink, into the drain. Follow with 1 cup of vinegar; let it stand for 2-3 minutes. Them immediately flush with several cups of boiling water. I use the entire tea kettle, which is slightly less than 2 quarts.

Caveat: if the gunk has been there a long time and has hardened, it may require a manual clean-out first. Regular use of this method will help prevent additional build-up.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Well I'm done... I didn't have to sweat any copper, the fitting was perfect under the old valve. Was well worth it to me to do myself, even if it wasn't as simple as I hoped.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If it's just gunk, and not hair + gunk, one can use baking soda and vinegar followed by the boiling water flush. Wait until the drain is dry and pour a 1/2 - 1 cup of baking soda into the drain. Not just in the bottom of the sink, into the drain. Follow with 1 cup of vinegar; let it stand for 2-3 minutes. Them immediately flush with several cups of boiling water. I use the entire tea kettle, which is slightly less than 2 quarts.

Caveat: if the gunk has been there a long time and has hardened, it may require a manual clean-out first. Regular use of this method will help prevent additional build-up.

I re-plumbed the houses in total so my rinse outs are maintenance. Do not let it build up.
    This does sound like a solid idea.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well I'm done... I didn't have to sweat any copper, the fitting was perfect under the old valve. Was well worth it to me to do myself, even if it wasn't as simple as I hoped.

If you cycle those valves on occasion they will stay in service. If not they lock up.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Plumbing is one household job that just plain sucks. Period. I burned a day of work several summers ago replacing the outbound fitting on my water heater. Did I say ALL DAY!

Top Bottom