• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If I was in the market for a good 1911 in the $1200-$1500 range, which one would you recommend?

Also, what mags do you get for your 1911's? Where do you purchase them from?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You guys are debt free already? ;-)

gun note: I'm not a 1911 guy. But I REALLY really like the looks of the Dan Wesson pistols.

-J-

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    For $1500 even I'd recommend a double stack 1911 from Detonics. I'm somewhat biased, I have the first production model and 1 of the prototype pistols. The guns are amazing. Bushingless coned target grade barrels. No creep triggers. Ergonomic grip. 12 round magazines. All 100% American made. All 100% American parts. Fully CNC machined from steel or aluminum, no MIM or plastic parts.

1-26.jpg

photo2-5.jpg

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    With some judicious searching, you might be able to get into a used Les Baer in that range. Should be no trouble finding a used Springfield TRP. I don't buy new often, but if I did I think I'd be looking at a top end Colt, (low end if your range), or a Dan Wesson VBOB (high end of your range). Maybe, just maybe you could squeeze into an entry level Guncrafter Industries model at the very tippy top of your range. I really, really want to fondle one of the new Detonics, though. I think it would be a nice addition to my stable, but I haven't even seen one out in the wild.

Wilson 47D's or Chip McCormick PowerMags are what I use.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Either a Colt or used Springfield TRP myself. I do think the Springfield Range Office and or Ruger SR1911 are great pistols for the money as well. And that leave you money for Wilson Combat 47D mags and Chip Mcormick Shooting Star mags. I also have a couple of the Kimber tacpro mags that work well. Love my Glock's and such but the 1911 is a fantastic feeling pistol that I love to shoot. :D And you will have money leftover for ammo, big ol 230 grain hard ball. Mmmm

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If I was in the market for a good 1911 in the $1200-$1500 range, which one would you recommend?

Also, what mags do you get for your 1911's? Where do you purchase them from?

I would check the INGO classifieds, if I had the cash, I would be buying the S&W 1911Sc bob tail that is new and unfired. The price is incredible.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have several Sprigfield offerings. In the price range you list I would look at a Trophy NM.
    It is just the sweetest 1911 I have out of the box. It is stainless and drives tacks.
    Next in that range is my TRP. It is a machine. It groups well but the Trophy is the one for the range. The TRP is for, well, TRPing. (Tactical response)
    I have a Range Officer and it is the best 1911 for the money IMHO...$750 range.

I use Wilson and Chip McCormick mags.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Here a link that has several to search for:Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts...

Hit the guns shows and try on several for your price range, haven't seen any STI or Dan Wesson or some of the off names, but there many options. My likes after searching are Springfield, Sig, and Colt. That's what it came down to but I'm new to the alumni, so my opinion doesn't matter much.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Yeah, Springfield accually has a Customer Service Department and a Custom Shop. And they use them both very well.
    I used Springfield service for the first time today. I have nothing but praise by the way I was treated over the phone. Immediate answer to a real person "Tom" and my parts are on the way.

I have to say the same for Kimber's service as well. I've used them twice over the years and They've been GREAT also.

I'm a Kimber fan but I don't limit myself to only one brand or model 1911

AU2nd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    I love my Kimber Tactical Custom II. It fits great in my hand and is a tack driver! I use Chip McCormick 1911 mags with it. $1,200 well spent.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I used Springfield service for the first time today. I have nothing but praise by the way I was treated over the phone. Immediate answer to a real person "Tom" and my parts are on the way.

I have to say the same for Kimber's service as well. I've used them twice over the years and They've been GREAT also.

I'm a Kimber fan but I don't limit myself to only one brand or model 1911

Ive heard numerous horror stories of Kimber's CS dept. or lack ther of. Its only been recently that Ive heard a few good things coming from them. Glad to hear they are starting to make an effort.

Springfield has always had stelar CS and is regarded by more than a few to be the best in the industry.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Gen I Kimber, Dan Wesson would be what I would look for but I've never owned a Springfield so I won't comment on them. If you really shop you might even find a nice used Wilson or Nighthawk in the 1500 range?

IMHO Wilson mags are the best in the industry.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Here a link that has several to search for:Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts...

Hit the guns shows and try on several for your price range, haven't seen any STI or Dan Wesson or some of the off names, but there many options. My likes after searching are Springfield, Sig, and Colt. That's what it came down to but I'm new to the alumni, so my opinion doesn't matter much.

Pay very very very very good attention to that link (and forum).

The owner of and writer of that post is EXTREMELY knowledgeable.

I think there have been years that he's spent more on firearms than I earn in take-home pay. He has MANY 1911 pistols - from the very cheap & inexpensive to full-house 100% custom guns that cost well into 4 digits.

HE carries a Kimber of some flavor...

-J-

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Pay very very very very good attention to that link (and forum).

The owner of and writer of that post is EXTREMELY knowledgeable.

I think there have been years that he's spent more on firearms than I earn in take-home pay. He has MANY 1911 pistols - from the very cheap & inexpensive to full-house 100% custom guns that cost well into 4 digits.

HE carries a Kimber of some flavor...

-J-

Yes his gun "room" is lined with 1911's. He talks on GlockTalk a lot, seems to be well versed on the subject. Wish I had the money AND time he spends on firearms. :): I still haven't had a Kimber though, heard a lot of annoying things about them over the years. My LGS tries to sell me one every time I walk in the doors though.

Top Bottom