What’s your favorite semi-auto for conceal carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I see that many people here carry various kinds of handguns. I am curious how it works out when switching off between a DAO and a SA with a safety and a DA/SA. I've carried a Glock for most of the 21 years I've been an officer and have 100's of thousands of draws and shots on that platform. I used to carry an off-duty that had a safety and was a SA/DA because it was more convenient. I qualified with them and shot them quite often so I was comfortable carrying them. About 13 years ago I had to draw and fire my Taser. The Taser has a manual safety that turns on the device. I no time to think, I just drew and fired. But it didn't fire because under stress, I didn't activate the safety thus I fumbled. I have so many reps on my Glock/DAO platform that it was my "go to" under stress even though I practiced with other safety platforms and my Taser. I still carry my Taser but I swore off any platforms that require a safety. I just have too many reps on my duty platform to feel safe that I could operate it under stress. My off-duty Gen 5 G19 is IDENTICAL to my to my duty G17M in all practical ways. I even make sure I use the same night sights. I do own a S&W .38 for back-up that I can point/shoot if need be I don't really carry it off-duty since a speed reload under stress might be quit difficult for me. My word of caution (just I tell recruits) be careful carrying something too different to what you typically train with because under stress, it might take valuable seconds to get it working. time you might not have. Just my .02.

Right now, the main EDC guns are a G23, a P10C or a G30sf for this ^^^^ reason. All get shot regularly and all have the same operating parameters. I still love 1911s, but just don't carry them other than a USGI 1911 around the house on Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, 9/11, Dec 7th and Independence Day.

As a bonus, none of the normal carry guns would be missed much or hard to replace should any of them end up in an evidence locker.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    For a couple years I carried a G30, which was okay. I got a deal on a G23C - which I bought mainly because I had so many G23 magazines, which were legacy from when I carried a G27 for 10 years - but put a CT conformal light on it and couldn't find a holster for that combination. Bought a SCCY CPX-2 to gift to my son if he ever gets his concealed carry permit, but I carried it for about 9 months - and still do carry it occasionally - and shot it pretty well. Since that experiment worked fairly well, I bought a Canik TP9SF-EliteS. When I finally got the holster situation for the Canik straightened out, I figured a way to mod a Raven Concealment Phantom holster for my G23C/light combo and now I pretty much alternate between the TP9 and the G23C, with predominance going to the G23. Except for the SCCY being DAO, the three pistols shoot pretty much the same and since I'm practicing more, I feel fairly confident in all three.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    DAO striker-fired for me for the last 30 years or so. The one constant thing is always been Safariland ALS holsters. At least for as long as I’ve known about them. Which reminds me... I just learned earlier tonight at the Safariland 7378 7TS holster is now available for the Sig P365. Hallelujah! Ordering tomorrow.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I started with a Bersa 380 Thunder (1 year), upgraded to the SW40VE (2 years), which upgraded to the glock 27 (11 years)... now i'm stuck between a G23 or a 1911 commander.....

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Light duty - shorts t-shirt low threat = S&W Shield 9mm
    Med duty - polo shirt pants higher threat = S&W compact 2.0 9mm or DW Valor Commander in .45

JoeG1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    Greenwood
    Been carrying a Glock 43 for about a year now, all I can say is WOW, I love this thing. I am a big guy and can carry it appendix if wanted, its like its not even there. For the size it shoots surprisingly well. I don't shoot it as well as say my 17 but not far off either. I have trijicon HD's on it and I'm sure that helps.

Top Bottom