• ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    From the article:
    "The sheriff's office said it did not report Mason's accidental release for six days because they were using it "as a tactical advantage" in the hopes of catching him and not driving him into hiding."

Umm, he just escaped from jail. I'm pretty sure he knew you'd be looking for him. :rolleyes:

I can only assume that they were worried that he would realize that he had escaped.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    While not fashionable in political circles, sometimes it's best just to admit you screwed up and focus on correcting the problem. The "tactical advantage" story sounds bad.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If what I heard on WIBC this AM is accurate, I think this is more of an IT/procedure issue than personnel. But I dont know enough to totally absolve anyone.

It was described he was being held on 3 counts. An admin was removing counts* 1 and 2 to clean up the system. Maybe that makes him show up as 3 different people? I dont know. But they were trying to clean up the system for some reason.

Shortly afterward, somebody in PA was reviewing the case and revoked count 3 from the warrant.

With counts 1 and 2 now removed, he appeared to be held for only count 3 which was dropped. So naturally if you are holding somebody for a count and the agency that said to hold you said they no longer wanted you for that count, of COURSE you would need to be released if there were no other outstanding counts. So they cut him loose thinking he didnt need to be held anymore.

Sounds like there is a problem in the computer system that causes issues of some kind when you have a prisoner being held with multiple counts. If so you need to find a way to "hide" or consolidate those charges into one so they dont clutter they system without making them go away entirely. Because if the charging agency had decided to drop charge 1 or 2, he'd still be in jail, so it is partially a fluke. (but still needs changed)

So I guess for us to totally understand what happened, we need to know why that worker was deleting active holds. And of course figure out how to do what they were trying to do without making it look like he didnt need to be held for charges 1 and 2.

*random numbers used for ease of communication

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

What could go wrong?

"Mason was mistakenly released on Sept. 13 because of a faulty records review by inmate clerks in the Marion County Sheriff’s Office"

I believe the 2nd article mentions that "two records clerks were fired" (from their inmate job). Ha, Ha.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What could go wrong?

"Mason was mistakenly released on Sept. 13 because of a faulty records review by inmate clerks in the Marion County Sheriff’s Office"

I believe the 2nd article mentions that "two records clerks were fired" (from their inmate job). Ha, Ha.

Yeah, that was the problem all along. Clerk in Indy thought they were deleting duplicate bookings, and then the Minnesota clerk thought they were doing the same. Voila! No bookings! You're free to go Mr. Mason...

Edit: I'm not sure that "inmate clerks" means "clerks that were inmates" (suspicious) or clerks charged with keeping track of inmates (incompetent).

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Yeah, that was the problem all along. Clerk in Indy thought they were deleting duplicate bookings, and then the Minnesota clerk thought they were doing the same. Voila! No bookings! You're free to go Mr. Mason...

Edit: I'm not sure that "inmate clerks" means "clerks that were inmates" (suspicious) or clerks charged with keeping track of inmates (incompetent).

Yep. I took it to mean clerks who were inmates. Thought about the other possible meaning after I posted. Curious now on which one is correct.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion

I'm pretty sure inmates doing paper work is fairly common. A jail I was going to apply to several years ago had inmates working almost every job that wasn't directly security or serving warrants within the jail. Clerical, janitorial, motor pool, commissary, food services, everything it was really strange to see.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    And the hits just keep on coming!

Trigger alert: they interviewed Jody ****ing Mediera for this.

EXCLUSIVE: 2 inmates mistakenly released from Marion County Jail in 8 days

The charges stem from an incident where Hellams was revived from an overdose and then attacked the police officers at the scene.

Court documents indicate Hellams “pulled, twisted and squeezed” an officer’s testicles. He also bit and attempted to choke an officer during the incident.

Hellams bailed out but was booked back into jail less than three months later on unrelated drug charges and that’s where he stayed until he was sentenced on Sept. 5 to two years in prison for attacking the officers.

As part of a plea agreement, his drug charges were dismissed.

However, the same day he was sentenced, Hellams walked out of the Marion County Jail.

Nobody even realized what had happened until Marion County Community Corrections was alerted nearly two weeks later. The agency applied for and was granted a warrant to have Hellams re-arrested, writing he was “erroneously” released.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    And the hits just keep on coming!

Trigger alert: they interviewed Jody ****ing Mediera for this.

EXCLUSIVE: 2 inmates mistakenly released from Marion County Jail in 8 days

The charges stem from an incident where Hellams was revived from an overdose and then attacked the police officers at the scene.

Court documents indicate Hellams “pulled, twisted and squeezed” an officer’s testicles. He also bit and attempted to choke an officer during the incident.

Hellams bailed out but was booked back into jail less than three months later on unrelated drug charges and that’s where he stayed until he was sentenced on Sept. 5 to two years in prison for attacking the officers.

As part of a plea agreement, his drug charges were dismissed.

However, the same day he was sentenced, Hellams walked out of the Marion County Jail.

Nobody even realized what had happened until Marion County Community Corrections was alerted nearly two weeks later. The agency applied for and was granted a warrant to have Hellams re-arrested, writing he was “erroneously” released.

Top Bottom