• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Jerks, victimless crime...or something like that. They should be catching child molesters...

Of they are snatching up cell phone addicts lane weaving on 465 hell man I will help them. 45 to 75 crossing the lines and back to 45 then see their exit is on top of them and bail across 2 lanes scattering traffic.
    Get-em.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    First off please don't make this into a cop bashing thread. That was not my intention. Second along CM's post this is what rode my bumper for about 10 minutes this morning. Before you string me up I waited until a stop light to get the pic. I was dumbfounded. The pic is fuzzy but you can make it out. This girl was trying to get the best TGIF selfie she could get. I could see her pose take a bunch of pics and then review. Like I said it went on for awhile. Piece of advice, no one gives a $h!+ you're gonna kill someone .

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I almost got rear ended this morning. The car was barreling toward me and I saw the driver’s head pop up from whatever she was looking at in her lap. Both hands lurched for the wheel as she slammed on the brakes. The next light she stopped about 50 yards behind me.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm all for LE doing what they can to give distracted & or excessive speeders etc a reality check. I doubt that it truly stops anyone from carrying on with the same habits, but it does make people think twice

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The more tickets they write the more money the cop makes. No longer a quota but an incentive program.

Man how LE has changed! I totally would have had a Lambo if PDs were doing this when I was still working.
    Wait, did I just say Lambo? Hell, I'd have had a Rolls too.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'd like to hear your "very obvious" reasons that you seem to think quotas exist.

Here ya go:

The month of March is a “blitz” month for Operation Pull Over. Officers from many agencies are working federally (NHTSA) funded overtime writing speeding and distracted driving citations. There have been several multi-officer enforcement details around the city this month. The next blitz period begins in May.

A certain number of tickets per hour are required for officers working these grant-funded projects. They ain't getting paid $45+ an hour on overtime to write warnings.

Also, ask a trooper about "performance goals" with regards to UTTs sometime and see what he/she says.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    20 years on the job, maybe 5 traffic citations written in that time frame, zero mention of writing more by any supervisor I've ever worked for.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    A certain number of tickets per hour are required for officers working these grant-funded projects. They ain't getting paid $45+ an hour on overtime to write warnings.

Also, ask a trooper about "performance goals" with regards to UTTs sometime and see what he/she says.

Does this mean that every contact that an officer has while working OPO s/he MUST write the person a ticket even if the same stop was made during a normal shift the officer would just give a verbal/written warning?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The more tickets they write the more money the cop makes. No longer a quota but an incentive program.

If you take it to court and we are on a shift that gets overtime for court appearances is the only way to make any money from writing a ticket. There's no quotas, at least I've never been told to write a ticket or got an attaboy for writing one, either. Granted, I've not had a ticket book for about 6 years, but I doubt it's changed.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Does this mean that every contact that an officer has while working OPO s/he MUST write the person a ticket even if the same stop was made during a normal shift the officer would just give a verbal/written warning?

I'll put it this way. If he/she ain't writing tickets, he/she ain't gonna work OPO again.
    Normal shift? Varies by department regarding expectations for traffic tickets. I think Westfield PD has a weekly contest on US 31.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

No. Or at least traffic grants didn't work that way when I worked them.

Top Bottom