• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Good one, you beat me by six mph. Late 1980's with my 1980 Sporster on the way to work. Just hit the 55 zone and hammered it, about four miles later I stopped for a 4 way stop where I would turn left. Saw the lights comming around the curve about a half mile back. Turned the corner and pulled over got license out by the time he pulled in behind me. County Sheriff walks up and hand him my license, he looks at it and says "Mister Brown you were going 91 mph." Said "I know" and got in his car where the radar still said 91mph.
    Said "I know I am getting a ticket but it would be real nice of you if you knocked off some of the milage." "This is not a speeding ticket, after 21 over it is reckless." "It would really be nice if you knocked off some of the milage." We talked a couple more minutes and he wrote me out a warning ticket for speeding and indicated he would throw the book at me if there was a next time. The ticket showed where he got me on radar and that was almost four mile back. Being respectfull and not trying to lie to him went a looooong way that day. Jim.
    As a kid that owned a XLC and a XLCH, thats within a mile or two of what those Sportster's would do.
    Or so I was told. A 80- 80 FXS can do better. LOL

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Tommy, tommy, tommy…
    boy did you let us down. You could have really provided us with some quality entertainment.
    He stopped me right where 145 crosses parts of Patoka lake, so I did consider jumping out and running across the road and diving into the lake, but my wife would have been all mad and stuff, I can hear her now going “you ruined my whole weekend”. Women are crazy.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    Good one, you beat me by six mph. Late 1980's with my 1980 Sporster on the way to work. Just hit the 55 zone and hammered it, about four miles later I stopped for a 4 way stop where I would turn left. Saw the lights comming around the curve about a half mile back. Turned the corner and pulled over got license out by the time he pulled in behind me. County Sheriff walks up and hand him my license, he looks at it and says "Mister Brown you were going 91 mph." Said "I know" and got in his car where the radar still said 91mph.
    Said "I know I am getting a ticket but it would be real nice of you if you knocked off some of the milage." "This is not a speeding ticket, after 21 over it is reckless." "It would really be nice if you knocked off some of the milage." We talked a couple more minutes and he wrote me out a warning ticket for speeding and indicated he would throw the book at me if there was a next time. The ticket showed where he got me on radar and that was almost four mile back. Being respectfull and not trying to lie to him went a looooong way that day. Jim.

So how long before you did that again? 2 - 3 weeks maybe?

Asking for a friend

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    State patrol pulled me over Said I better have a darn good story for going that fast and not stopping right away? his shift change was ending in twenty minutes -- so I said my wife left me three years ago for a state patrolman, thought you were bringing her back? --- He said with a smile have a good day. ----{Good story anyways}

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I've only once had a negative police experience, and then it was only one cop out of several present, years back before the AWB sunset:

I got bored so I drove to a friend's house. He wasn't home, so I started back.

There was this "kid," maybe 18, walking. Snow was coming down pretty good. He looked cold and I was in a warm 4x4, so I stopped and let him in.

I started going again, and was suddenly blocked by police cars... hmmm. I turned my flashers on and put the truck in park.

The kid then says, "It's ok; they're gonna let you go."

I responded with, "I'm not going anywhere, and neither are you." He had a deer-in-headlights look.

Cops come to his door, yank him to the ground, and cuff him. I surrender my pistol and one of the officers proceeds to ask me questions. Before I could answer, this one young cop yells to me something about my magazines being illegal.

First I didn't know what he was talking about, then it dawned on me. I hollered back (because he was several feet away) that they were grandfathered, pre-ban mags.

He didn't like this and started yelling something else.

I heard one of the other cops call this cop by name, and start taking to him. About the same time the cop who was trying to talk to me led me to the back of his cruiser to continue my statement. He even let me keep the door cracked when I mentioned claustrophobia.

Got my pistol back with advice to stop being such a nice person by giving rides to folks I don't know.

Turned out the kid had been kicking up a ruckus, bashing headlights and the like, because something upset him. (I think girlfriend troubles, but don't recall for sure at this late date.)

I've only given one dude a ride since. He was from Western Europe someplace, was broke, and was trying to get to the coast so he could go home. It was ungodly hot, no shade in sight, and he was trying to hike on US-24. He was also going on elderly.

I dropped him off 10mi or so later with apologies that I couldn't take him further. I had camping food in the Blazer and tried to give him at least a day's worth. He wouldn't take anything but a can of beans and a bottle of water. He was a gentleman who seemed alien to the life circumstance had chosen for him.

I digress.

Last edited:

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    I'll bet.
    The only way a Yugo would hit 110 is if you drove it off a cliff!

With an anchor in the back seat.
    I would not have believed it either. College road trip from the Haute to Indy.
    Don’t know know how long it took to get to that speed, but we were straddling the ruts in the asphalt from all the coal trucks.
    4 people in the car.

Young and dumb.

Pretty sure we all thought we were going to die.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Few years back, I got pulled over speeding after squirrel hunting and shooting on a farm. I was wearing camo, open carrying, had an AR case, two 50 cal ammo cans, and a huge cooler visible. Oh…. And there was also blood all over my pants from cleaning squirrels.

I realized my ID was in my backpack in the back. I told the officer I’d keep my hands on the wheel, and I’d give him permission to retrieve my backpack, and I’d pull my wallet out. Went very well, had an hilarious chat, and only a warning.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I've only once had a negative police experience, and then it was only one cop out of several present, years back before the AWB sunset:

I got bored so I drove to a friend's house. He wasn't home, so I started back.

There was this "kid," maybe 18, walking. Snow was coming down pretty good. He looked cold and I was in a warm 4x4, so I stopped and let him in.

I started going again, and was suddenly blocked by police cars... hmmm. I turned my flashers on and put the truck in park.

The kid then says, "It's ok; they're gonna let you go."

I responded with, "I'm not going anywhere, and neither are you." He had a deer-in-headlights look.

Cops come to his door, yank him to hunt ground, and cuff him. I surrender my pistol and one of the officers proceeds to ask me questions. Before I could answer, this one young cop yells to me something about my magazines being illegal.

First I didn't know what he was talking about, then it dawned on me. I hollered back (because he was several feet away) that they were grandfathered, pre-ban mags.

He didn't like this and started yelling something else.

I heard one of the other cops call this cop by name, and start taking to him. About the same time the cop who was trying to talk to me led me to the back of his cruiser to continue my statement. He even let me keep the door cracked when I mentioned claustrophobia.

Got my pistol back with advice to stop being such a nice person by giving rides to folks I don't know.

Turned out the kid had been kicking up a ruckus, bashing headlights and the like, because something upset him. (I think girlfriend troubles, but don't recall for sure at this late date.)

I've only given one dude a ride since. He was from Western Europe someplace, was broke, and was trying to get to the coast so he could go home. It was ungodly hot, no shade in sight, and he was trying to hike on US-24. He was also going on elderly.

I dropped him off 10mi or so later with apologies that I couldn't take him further. I had camping food in the Blazer and tried to give him at least a day's worth. He wouldn't take anything but a can of beans and a bottle of water. He was a gentleman who seemed alien to the life circumstance had chosen for him.

I digress.

20+ years ago, I picked up a guy around my age in the pouring rain during a thunderstorm who was walking. Gave him a lift to where he was going. When there, he said “That’s kinda crazy you’d just pick up a stranger, I mean, what would you do if I pulled a knife on you right now?” I responded, “I’d kill you.” He left quickly. I’ve never picked up anyone since, and won’t.

Dwight

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    I would not have believed it either. College road trip from the Haute to Indy.
    Don’t know know how long it took to get to that speed, but we were straddling the ruts in the asphalt from all the coal trucks.
    4 people in the car.

Young and dumb.

Pretty sure we all thought we were going to die.
    I just figured out the mystery - the speedometer was in Kilometers Per Hour!!!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    1983, backroads of New Mexico, going to the ravine where we all shot, straight stretch of road, '70 Dodge Charger.....I was going at least 120, saw red and blue lights in the distance behind me, made my turn, slowed down, and saw in my rearview a trooper fishtailing onto the road I turned... I was standing at the back of my car, with my license, and registration...he got out, and I said "How fast was I going?" he said "I was doing 80-85 to catch up with you, that sound right?" I said sure.. got a ticket, was considered reckless, but just paid a fine...Cannon AFB suspended my driving privileges for 3 days.....
    I had a Yugo, could never get over 85...downhill...with a wind.....but at least the rear window defroster kept my hands warm as I pushed it.....

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    T
    1983, backroads of New Mexico, going to the ravine where we all shot, straight stretch of road, '70 Dodge Charger.....I was going at least 120, saw red and blue lights in the distance behind me, made my turn, slowed down, and saw in my rearview a trooper fishtailing onto the road I turned... I was standing at the back of my car, with my license, and registration...he got out, and I said "How fast was I going?" he said "I was doing 80-85 to catch up with you, that sound right?" I said sure.. got a ticket, was considered reckless, but just paid a fine...Cannon AFB suspended my driving privileges for 3 days.....
    I had a Yugo, could never get over 85...downhill...with a wind.....but at least the rear window defroster kept my hands warm as I pushed it.....
    To be fair, said Yugo did die young a couple months later from terminal oil loss.

Top Bottom