• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    This morning at 7:30 I had a guy break into my house. He came in through my back door, which is adjacent to my bedroom. The back door is ~1/2" narrower than the hallway it opens into. The wife and I were fast asleep, and heard a loud bang on the back door. We were both jolted awake. The second bang I was throwing off the blankets and on my feet, reaching into the gun safe where my M&P 45 resides loaded, with a round in the chamber. By the third and final bang, the door popped open. I heard my 70lb pitbull "Spot" charging down the hallway, and he hit the back door as it came open. The intruder braced the door, and then dashed into my bedroom, where me, my wife, and my 3 month old son had been sleeping. He was met by me standing there, pistol in hand, with every last micro inch of trigger slack and takeup depressed. That is to say, I was literally waiting for the shot to break, as he began screaming "Its me, its me, don't shoot!" The man was wearing a camouflage shirt, a ball cap, and a turkey hunter style face mask.

I wear contact lenses, but I don't sleep in them, so I could not see him very well. My first reaction was "Who the F*** ARE YOU!!!!???!!!" "It's me, Johnny" he replied, and pulled down his mask.

*Back Story*
    Johnny is related to three of my neighbors. He's a two time convicted felon. I know he has been to prison, and that he went to prison for burglary. I also know that Johnny has had a drug problem. I saw Johnny just two weeks ago. He was there when I had to put down a dog that had been hit by a car. Johnny doesn't live near me, but as stated, his mother, grandmother, and cousin all live within a mile of my house. Today, he looked much thinner than he was two weeks ago. I have had dealings with meth users, and he definitely fit that description to a tee. He looked like he'd been up for 3-4 days.

Upon hearing him say "It's me, Johnny." I said "What the hell are you doing breaking into my house?"
    He replied "I'm scared man. Somebody's after me. They're gonna kill me. I didn't know who else to go to, so I came to you."
    I said "Man, I got my wife here, my baby's laying there, get outta here, just get out on the porch." I grabbed my glasses, and followed him out the door in my boxers, .45 in hand. I know that meth, and other similar drugs will make a user paranoid, especially after prolonged use. Johnny proceeded to tell me that he had been partying with some people, had sex with somebody's girlfriend, and the guy was trying to kill him. I stood there looking at him, trying to figure out what was going through his head. In his hands were a flatbar and a pair of bolt cutters. In his back pocket was a pair of pliers. In his front pocket were several wads of rope, a digital camera hanging from a case around his neck, and a 5-6" hunting knife hanging from his belt.

I told him "Go around to the front. I'm gonna throw some clothes on." I went back in, dropped my P3AT in my pocket, and clipped on my Kershaw Tanto Blur. I went back out with my .45 in hand. I stood there listened to him for 20 minutes, attempting to calm him, and interjecting advice all the while.

I instructed him to go down to his grandma's house and hole up in case the guy came looking for him. I knew that he was coming down, and would need to find a place to crash. I also knew that he wasn't going too far. Understand that Johnny said he tried my front door, and then tried my back door when nobody answered. The problem with that is, my dog goes nuts any time somebody pulls into the driveway, touches the gate, or knocks on the door.

After he left, I called 911 to have a deputy come out. My wife and I made statements, and the Deputy went down and picked him up for Residential Entry. Due to his prior offenses, he is looking at 20 years and $110,000 bail.

Johnny's female cousin, and her boyfriend (a friend of mine) came down to get the story, apologize, and thank me for not killing him. His grandma followed suit an hour later. The cousin informed me that Johnny had been on a bender, because his girlfriend was kicking him out. His grandma informed me that there are three guys after Johnny, looking to kill him over drug money. Johnny gave the deputy the names of the guys that are after him, as well as enough info to hang them.

I just can't help thinking things like "Should I have shot him?", "I guess it's a good thing I didn't do that trigger job yet.", and "Who else do I have to worry about breaking into my place".

Everybody keeps telling me that I used good judgement in not killing him, and that this is a "win", because everybody is safe, Johnny is in jail, and the police have leads on the drug dealers.

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I think you did ok.
    You dont have to go to sleep tonight knowing you shot someone (possibly of killed them) esp. in your own home.
    Your family is all ok, door can be fixed (hopefully with a much stronger door).

Although if you would of shot, I wouldn't blame you for a second.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    If you and family are safe,his family grateful perp's alive and not angry he's in jail,you WON! Thanks to you for being prepared with your.45.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    WWWWWOOOOWWWWW.:faint:

How you didn't shoot him is BEYOND me(judging by your description of what he was carrying), but you did great by not shooting him...No need for unnecessary legal trouble and weapon seizure when your family is safe.

Since he's facing 20 and sounds like he's snitching on some other low-lives, looks like everyone wins.:yesway:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    That is probably his luckiest moment in his life right there. Good on you for maintaining control and using proper judgment in the face of a very stressful situation.

You saved yourself and your family, not only in just that moment, but also from having to live with the weight of taking a life.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    WOW...thankfully everything ended without someone's life ceasing to continue. I hope the wife and kid are doing fine. Good job keeping cool. Definitely sounds to me he was set up for a home-invasion. Im glad he got picked up by the fuzz.
    Just monday morning quarterbacking here...but I would not have let him go anywhere until the police got there (but you are the one who lives there and knows the people he was going to). Sounds like he was lucky he was staring down the barrel of your .45 and not your dog's throat. Good luck to you and your family

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Way to keep a level head. I think you did well. Just glad to here you an ur family is safe. Hard to say how any of us would have reacted.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I honestly think he is lucky I couldn't see very well at the time I was holding him at gun point. Without glasses/contacts my vision is 20/200 left 20/70 right, so to me he was a dark shape against a light background (window). Had I been seeing with my corrected 20/10 vision, I would have seen the potential weapons in his hands, and shot without hesitation. Rule #4 was what kept him alive.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Everybody keeps telling me that I used good judgement in not killing him, and that this is a "win", because everybody is safe, Johnny is in jail, and the police have leads on the drug dealers.

I would tend to agree with this statement. Although in all seriousness, I'm not sure I would've resisted pulling the trigger. Good for you for keeping a cool head.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    WOW! I don't think I could have believed that story, he came with other intentions. Why the camera? Why the bolt cutters, the knife? Yet he knew you were armed. Drugged is a no brainer but his intentions were not what he claimed.

I commend you for not shooting him, as you had the upper hand.

But now, he has spilled some beans........and you and your family are involved.

Time to have the .45 in your underwear while you sleep.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Sounds like he was lucky he was staring down the barrel of your .45 and not your dog's throat. Good luck to you and your family
    Yes, very lucky indeed. Spot is 70lb of fur and muscle, and he can bite a room temperature ham hock in half in two seconds.
    Way to keep a level head. I think you did well. Just glad to here you an ur family is safe. Hard to say how any of us would have reacted.
    Thank you. I know that had I not actually KNOWN this guy, he would be dead.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I honestly think he is lucky I couldn't see very well at the time I was holding him at gun point. Without glasses/contacts my vision is 20/200 left 20/70 right, so to me he was a dark shape against a light background (window). Had I been seeing with my corrected 20/10 vision, I would have seen the potential weapons in his hands, and shot without hesitation. Rule #4 was what kept him alive.

Man, that's some bad eye sight.:):

I would have held him at .45 point while my wife called the police, but at least he didn't make it far. It's also nice to hear your neighbors thanked you...Feuding with neighbors is never fun.

And yeah, his story is complete bull ****. He was there to rob you.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Whether you "should" have shot him or not is completely irrelevant. What you SHOULD have done was be prepared to employ whatever force necessary to stop a mortal threat, and de-escalate your force when the threat lessened.

Oh, wait. That's what you did do. WIN.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yea, definitely there to rob you -> especially if his family said he was in trouble for owing drug money.

You did the right thing. You and your family are safe and you don't have any blood on your hands (justified or not).

On the brighter side, if your wife has EVER given you crap about your firearm habits... I'm sure those days are long gone now.

Top Bottom