• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhatTheHill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Columbus, IN
    Alright everyone. I have a slight problem with my 1911... I have recently been removing my grips on my 1911 because after every time i shoot it i like to wipe down behind the grips, and inside. I found a hex wrench that i thought removed the screws very nicely. Well comes to find out that all this time this particular hex wrench has slowly been stripping the top of the hex screw. Now to the point where i can not remove one of my grip screws. what is the best thing i can do to remove the screw?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Alright everyone. I have a slight problem with my 1911... I have recently been removing my grips on my 1911 because after every time i shoot it i like to wipe down behind the grips, and inside. I found a hex wrench that i thought removed the screws very nicely. Well comes to find out that all this time this particular hex wrench has slowly been stripping the top of the hex screw. Now to the point where i can not remove one of my grip screws. what is the best thing i can do to remove the screw?
    I am not a gunsmith, but I would use a small file or a Dremel (gasp!) with a cutoff wheel to VERY CAREFULLY cut a notch in the head so you can remove the screw with a flat head screw driver. Replace the screws (and grips if the "carefully" advice failed) and use the correct size wrench in the future. :twocents:

WhatTheHill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Columbus, IN
    Thats scary business getting a Dremel anywhere near my VZ Grips...:( But i guess its my fault I'm in this situation anyways. Thats probably what I'm going to have to do.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would wait until all the suggestions are in.
    In the mean time, quit being so anal about cleaning. Screw those grips down tight and shoot that gun. :)

Since it's an allen screw, wouldn't it be easier to use the hole as a pilot to drill it out?
    You should pick out your next set of screws (that aren't allen.) Torx?
    If they are standard grips, I may have bushings laying around, as I've converted to slim grips. Holler if you want to go that way and I'll look.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would wait until all the suggestions are in.

Agreed, wait for more wisdom to pour in. (the whine of a dremel or any power tool approaching ANY pistol, much less a 1911, is a stomach-cringing experience)
    There are also bits out there for removing screws that will bite into the stripped head, allowing them to be backed out (slowly) by hand.

Though before taking any action, if your gut is warning you of further damage by trying something else on your own, I would listen to it and visit a qualified gunsmith for his/her advice and/or services, even if it means biting the bullet and spending a few dollars.

In the mean time, quit being so anal about cleaning. Screw those grips down tight and shoot that gun. :)

Why the purple?? Sounds like good advice to me!

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    No, no!! Don't wait for more sound advice! I said Dremel!! DREMEL!!!!

c'mon guys, I prefaced it with "I'm not a gunsmith" and even stated it simply as what I would do.

I'm just a simple polymer-gun guy. :) All my grip-related "smithing" involves poking with a hot soldering iron.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'll start this by saying IANAGS. Try a torx bit OR use the same Allen wrench you have been using and JB weld it in the head of the screw. Mask your grips off so you don't get any weld on them.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    As a gunsmith, I do not like socket head grip screws because of the damage to the screw, wrench, or both which is very common. Slotted head screws and a PROPERLY fitting screwdriver have worked for over a hundred years. I have removed more damaged socket head screws than I can count, having to drill them and use a screw extractor. They are grips and do not need high torqued screws to hold them on.

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    I have found that the wrench as well as the head wear. I grind about 1/8" off the wrench to get one more try at the bad screw. It works most of the time.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    If you had bothered to click the link I provided. It's to a set of back out stripped screw remover bits.

They work.

They are made specifically to remove stripped screws.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I'd suggest bringing it here, let me drill out the screw head, saving the grips. Once the heads are off, grips come off, then we can take out the remaining piece. Then replace them with slotted screws

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is no bite left to it. The torx bit just made it worse...
    unknown.jpg

Well poop. Strip screw removal tooling will now be required. If you were close you could bring it here and I would get that out for you. Be surprised how often this happens.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Also.....do not tighten them up like a head bolt. Just bump them up. If they come loose when you run the gun go a bit tighter but sneak up on them. Never use a locking agent either. Just saying.....not needed.
    Not saying you do but I have seen this. Buddy used thread locker on grip screws and 2 piece guide rod. :faint:

Top Bottom