• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    More gravel.
    Number twos of six inches depth with number 58 to bind and number nines to top dress. Enough depth to drain off the water and keep it dry. No moisture no weeds.
    About 500 a tri axel delivered. If the driver can drop it correctly you can move it manually If not a day rental of a skid steer or knowing someone who can skid steer or a box grader but number twos are hard on stuff.

or you can buy a pull behind sprayer and spray.
    There is ~4" of gravel on the range, I dunno how deep around the barn, and the driveway was paved last year, so just the edges. It should all be thick enough, but weeds, ya know?

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Why not get rid of the gravel, dump some good dirt on it and then some good grass seed? Without having to mow around it, it will probably reduce the time you are mowing by a little bit. And then so what if a few weeds invade the grass. Beats putting down poisons!
    Range is in the trees....ahheck, I will just post photos tomorrow. Mowing there is not much of an option, grass don't grow.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    SALT keeps anything from growing. I know my salt lick areas have absolutely nothing growing around them. It is even in the Bible about “salting the earth (ground)” to spite your enemies.
    Yep. back in the day, to control weeds in the drive dad would buy bags of rocksalt and pour small mounds on the clumps of weeds and spread handfuls around the rest of the gravel. No weeds for several years.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not really. Takes a long time with a 20lb propane tank.
    Propane should only be employed after killing/drying the weeds out as an alternative to raking the gravel to remove them.

Going straight to fire is slow because you gotta cook the water out of them and many are VERY succulent plants.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not a shooting range but I made a gravel parking pad where I used to live that lasted for years. When I put it in I excavated out all the topsoil down to clay, put weed mat down, a couple inches of #2 clean gravel, 4 inches of 3/4 minus over that, compacted it all down. After a few rains it was like concrete.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    SALT keeps anything from growing. I know my salt lick areas have absolutely nothing growing around them. It is even in the Bible about “salting the earth (ground)” to spite your enemies.
    When I was a kid, we had probably a 4'x6 or 8' "pad" outside our back door made up of concrete pavers. It was my job to pull the weeds out from between the pavers, but I think I learned about the Romans "salting the earth" in history class or something, so I got the idea to pull up the pavers in the spring, put down a layer of rock salt, then replace the pavers. No weeding the pavers for me all summer!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When I was a kid, we had probably a 4'x6 or 8' "pad" outside our back door made up of concrete pavers. It was my job to pull the weeds out from between the pavers, but I think I learned about the Romans "salting the earth" in history class or something, so I got the idea to pull up the pavers in the spring, put down a layer of rock salt, then replace the pavers. No weeding the pavers for me all summer!
    I trust drainage was such that the dissolved salt didn’t run off into areas you wanted to keep vegetation when it rained hard. :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I trust drainage was such that the dissolved salt didn’t run off into areas you wanted to keep vegetation when it rained hard. :):
    Yeah, never had a problem. Might have killed maybe a 2" border around the edge of the pad but that was more of a feature than a bug. :)

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Photos of the area of concern. Mainly what I think of as the pistol range, then the path. Had 4 trees close to the house removed last year, and they took an extra 3 farther back while getting the 4. Most of the green growing stuff was not there before the trees came down, and I would just use the weedhacker to keep the area clear-ish.

House to backstop, 54 yards -
    20210810-093454.jpg

From bridge to backstop, the 'pistol range' -
    20210810-093544.jpg

Back toward the house -
    20210810-093611.jpg

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I make my own and have had pretty good success.

1gal vinegar
    2cups table salt
    1 tspn dish soap

I don't use it in my yard much but it really cleans up my drive and parking area.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thank you, kind sir!

What mix ratio do you use? I have a 25gal tow behind sprayer that I use, and I put 1.5gal of RM43 in that, then fill with water. 5lbs of Prodiamine is $68 on amazon. If I could get 3 applications out of that, I think it would work fine.
    I use Prodiamine 65 WDG. I use about 2 level teaspoons per gallon of water for 1,000 sq. ft. This should control weeds for around 4 months. Higher concentrations last longer.

Last edited:

ductape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Pave it. Everything else will eventually let it grow back. I have to treat fence rows all the time and they just grow back. Also you have to consider what living things are around it.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    The weed preventers work best when the area is not disturbed. if you are applying it to an area that vehicles are driven on {gravel areas} then the preventative effects will not last of the advertised length of time. They form a barrier to seed germination.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I use water softner rock salt on my gravel areas. I get 2 bags in the winter in case I need it to melt ice. If it doesn't get used, I spread it in the spring. It's like magic, ie. works a charm.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The weed preventers work best when the area is not disturbed. if you are applying it to an area that vehicles are driven on {gravel areas} then the preventative effects will not last of the advertised length of time. They form a barrier to seed germination.
    This is true, but walking on it should be OK. Also, the area between the tire tracks should be OK.

Top Bottom