Weed Killers - What's The Strongest/Most Effective?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Good suggestion! I recently sprayed down a whole bunch of thorn bushes using glyphosate alone. I guess I'll know in a couple of weeks if that is sufficient, or if I need to add other chemicals (as you suggested) to improve absorption.
    Actually killing woody plants are not glysophate’s strong suit. As stated upthread Tordon and other such products are better suited for such plants...”brush killers.”

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    the best LEGAL herbicide is Speed Zone.
    Or the product that it’s made from :
    Tzone buy it at farm cooperatives or seed dealers. 1.5 ounces per gallon of water and it will not harm grass
    2nd product is a granular that is 1 teaspoon per gallon on water and it will kill thistles and crabgrass to the root. I bought mine thru a Lawncare service and you can buy it online
    Not sure how far away you are dd but you’re more than welcome to come use it on my yard.. beer is in the fridge…. Seriously if you want to come get some and bring a gun we can make this happen.. heck anyone else?? Really not trying to go Tom Sawyer on ya!
    BEE82B89-FBFB-493B-9ED5-221511535224.jpeg 55472BAA-425F-4C73-A7F0-E8F0EC11C237.png

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Thistle is one tough plant. We had a stone drive and had it paved two years ago. The thistle pushed up through 3" of asphalt and started trying to keep the drive as their home. Tordon RTU worked on mine.
    I've used Tordon over the years to kill rat trees like mull-berry and rose of sharons that just keep re-sprouting.
    Great stuff.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Actually killing woody plants are not glysophate’s strong suit. As stated upthread Tordon and other such products are better suited for such plants...”brush killers.”
    Thanks for the advice. But will Tordon kill mature trees? Many of my thistle plants are near trees that I don't want to kill. And with a sprayer, it's going to get a little bit everywhere.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for the advice. But will Tordon kill mature trees? Many of my thistle plants are near trees that I don't want to kill. And with a sprayer, it's going to get a little bit everywhere.
    Yes. absolutely. But only if you use it in a sprayer. If you cut the plants and paint the cutting with tordon, your nearby trees should be fine.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Or the product that it’s made from :
    Tzone buy it at farm cooperatives or seed dealers. 1.5 ounces per gallon of water and it will not harm grass
    2nd product is a granular that is 1 teaspoon per gallon on water and it will kill thistles and crabgrass to the root. I bought mine thru a Lawncare service and you can buy it online
    Not sure how far away you are dd but you’re more than welcome to come use it on my yard.. beer is in the fridge…. Seriously if you want to come get some and bring a gun we can make this happen.. heck anyone else?? Really not trying to go Tom Sawyer on ya!
    View attachment 347537 View attachment 347538

Nice bike

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Tordon IS a woody vegetation killer (trees, brush, multiflora rose). DO NOT use Tordon to control anything else as it has the potential to translocate to the roots of non-target woody vegetation.

Tordon 22K IS a broadleaf weed killer and is listed to control several thistles.

Why they used a similar name for two extremely different products is beyond me.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've never sprayed TorDon, I have just used the pull top to wet the cut off plant / tree. Its a dispenser like on liquid dish soap.

I have used it to kill rat trees living in clumps of Lilac's, it has stunted the Lilac's for a year or so and that's the worst that I have had happen. Its killed nothing 5-10 ft away.

TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    If you can find a generic form of Clopyralid, it works really well on Canadian thistle. We use a restricted use version around the farm called Stinger.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Flame weeder works but those damn thistles and dandelion have extensive root systems and do come back and back. The flame weeder is now amount my favorite garden gadgets. It is like being a giant monster dragon with flame killing everything in the path.

when I now get thistles and dandelion in the garden I have to get out the bulb planter or shovel and dig out all of that root. I am not putting any chemicals into my food I don’t have to.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I read somewhere that the thistle has a very extensive underground root system and not to pull the weed up out of the ground as it just stimulates the root system to grow more above ground plants. What I read was to either cut the above ground plant or apply chemical to them.
    I had a very large outbreak of these plants a few years ago and was just pulling the plant and they would multiply. After reading the info above, I was able to get them under control.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Flame weeder works but those damn thistles and dandelion have extensive root systems and do come back and back. The flame weeder is now amount my favorite garden gadgets. It is like being a giant monster dragon with flame killing everything in the path.

when I now get thistles and dandelion in the garden I have to get out the bulb planter or shovel and dig out all of that root. I am not putting any chemicals into my food I don’t have to.
    I’ve done this until the kids got a little older but when the dandelions turn to fluffs use a propane torch on them. Burns the seed and it is gratifying.. works. Then spray with brand xyz. Thistle yes tough. I sprayed some yesterday in the parking lot and wild violets ,creeping Charlie Checking on them when I finish my nap..zzz

Top Bottom