We MUST create more laws, there are not enough!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Indiana police officers want state lawmakers to beef up a ban on texting while driving so it includes any activity that could take a motorist’s attention away from the road.

Can we now all please drop the charade that police do not make laws?

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    The texting ban as it stands a farse anyway. It only applies to text messaging and electronic mail messages and nothing else directly. It's very difficult to prove whether or not you're doing one of those two things while driving and since they cannot take your phone from you then they cannot check. Don't get me wrong, I'm against making more laws but that is a new one that needs modification, otherwise it's useless.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    The texting ban as it stands a farse anyway. It only applies to text messaging and electronic mail messages and nothing else directly. It's very difficult to prove whether or not you're doing one of those two things while driving and since they cannot take your phone from you then they cannot check. Don't get me wrong, I'm against making more laws but that is a new one that needs modification, otherwise it's useless.

Tacking more crap onto a worthless law is hardly going to make it useful, though I understand what you meant.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Saw this is the local rag today, I guess we don't have enough laws on the books already. Some people are just never satisfied with what they have, and feel the need to clamp down even harder. Before long, I guess listening to your car stereo will be against the kings law.
    Police call for tougher law on distracted driving » Recent Local News » News and Tribune

Will it apply to them too? I don't text and drive but talk alot on my cell, but every cop that drives by is doing the same thing.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Will it apply to them too? I don't text and drive but talk alot on my cell, but every cop that drives by is doing the same thing.
    That's just silly, of course they will be exempted.
    This ^ ??????

They are constantly on their laptops.
    Then we need to outlaw talking on phones, or, what the hell, talking PERIOD. And outlaw laptops in cars unless locked safely in the trunk. Maybe make it illegal to have a laptop with the battery attached, we could make that a felony.

Are we really that far away from these things happening?

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Many states and major cities only allow using hands free devices to talk on your phone, so maybe we should go that route. I don't text while I drive, though I have very little in the past. It's not worth the risk to me.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    This ^ ??????

They are constantly on their laptops.

No doubt! Last night the wife and I were heading over to my moms to pick up our girls after seeing Prometheus (+1 by the way) and some douche bag greenwood cop was driving down the opposite lane, messing with his laptop and came completely into our lane. I had to swerve onto a small shoulder and blare my horn at him.

He corrects and then speeds up! I had to come to a complete stop.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    No doubt! Last night the wife and I were heading over to my moms to pick up our girls after seeing Prometheus (+1 by the way) and some douche bag greenwood cop was driving down the opposite lane, messing with his laptop and came completely into our lane. I had to swerve onto a small shoulder and blare my horn at him.

He corrects and then speeds up! I had to come to a complete stop.

Report it!

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    While they are at it, why not add:
    -music capable devices(back in the day, the complaint and hand wringing devices were the radios and that new demon spawned 8 track that caused all the accidents)
    -cb radios
    -any control that is not needed to steer or safely propel the vehicle down the road (no heater or ac, directional vents, cruise control, gps, etc)
    -no passengers (specially children unless they are sedated) unless all vehicle occupants are muzzled(passengers who have voluntarily had their vocal cords snipped are exempt) and passengers are bound in such a way as to not be able to sign
    -any substance that can be used or deemed to be cosmetic in nature must be secured in a location not readily accessible to the operator(passengers are bound)
    -any substance that can be consumed orally or by absorption to satisfy a craving or need(food, water, medicine, etc) must be secured and not readily accessable to the operator(passengers are bound)
    -all writing instruments and medium as well as any medium, product, published or printed with alphabet(of any language) or symbols
    -any device capable of producing/viewing a digital picture or video
    -any animal that does not possess human dna as a majority of its genetic composition must be kept in a separate cargo area, muzzled and bound as any passenger would, regardless of physical likeness to human species
    -guages or dash warning lights(I think we are all in agreement on how distracting those things can be)

I think that there should also be a companion bill that would limit those things outside of the automobile that could be considered as distractions, whether they be people, animals(domesticated or other), buildings, lights etc...

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    That law would allow them to pretty much pull over anyone any time they wanted to. How wonderful would that be?

Last night, I was listening to my radio for several hours. One of the deputy town marshals had more stops than every other police officer, sheriff's deputy and state trooper in the county combined. Keep in mind, this was in a town with a population of 375.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    While they are at it, why not add:
    -music capable devices(back in the day, the complaint and hand wringing devices were the radios and that new demon spawned 8 track that caused all the accidents)
    -cb radios
    -any control that is not needed to steer or safely propel the vehicle down the road (no heater or ac, directional vents, cruise control, gps, etc)
    -no passengers (specially children unless they are sedated) unless all vehicle occupants are muzzled(passengers who have voluntarily had their vocal cords snipped are exempt) and passengers are bound in such a way as to not be able to sign
    -any substance that can be used or deemed to be cosmetic in nature must be secured in a location not readily accessible to the operator(passengers are bound)
    -any substance that can be consumed orally or by absorption to satisfy a craving or need(food, water, medicine, etc) must be secured and not readily accessable to the operator(passengers are bound)
    -all writing instruments and medium as well as any medium, product, published or printed with alphabet(of any language) or symbols
    -any device capable of producing/viewing a digital picture or video
    -any animal that does not possess human dna as a majority of its genetic composition must be kept in a separate cargo area, muzzled and bound as any passenger would, regardless of physical likeness to human species
    -guages or dash warning lights(I think we are all in agreement on how distracting those things can be)

I think that there should also be a companion bill that would limit those things outside of the automobile that could be considered as distractions, whether they be people, animals(domesticated or other), buildings, lights etc...

None of those all added togeather equal the madness of cellphone distracted driving now. Get in a semi, do 5mph under the speed limit and watch the madness. It is an epidemic.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I don't have a problem with the concept here. Seems the last few years every time some idiot tries to kill me out there it's because they're messing with a damned phone.

The problem is the methodology. Getting the job done without being overly intrusive is problematic.

As far as cops go, none of us had cell phones before I retired, but we had just gotten the MDTs, mobile data terminals.

We were told that if we wrecked a police car because we were using it while in motion it would be our asses. I found I could run plates on it without distraction. I never even tried to text on it while moving.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't have a problem with the concept here. Seems the last few years every time some idiot tries to kill me out there it's because they're messing with a damned phone.

The problem is the methodology. Getting the job done without being overly intrusive is problematic.

As far as cops go, none of us had cell phones before I retired, but we had just gotten the MDTs, mobile data terminals.

We were told that if we wrecked a police car because we were using it while in motion it would be our asses. I found I could run plates on it without distraction. I never even tried to text on it while moving.

I do have a problem with the methodology. We have plenty of laws to deter idiots.
    Sounds like they would hold you responsible for reckless op. I'm all for this. If I were to cause an accident because I was tying my shoes, then I would expect to get in trouble. Legislating common sense is stupid and not the job of the government.

Top Bottom