• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Looking for some insight from some plumbers or someone who has dealt with them. Our water heater is I think 3 years old and last fall I noticed our hot water starting to smell like sulphur. So I researched and ended up putting in a new anode rod. Picked one up at Lowe’s. Drained the water heater and flushed it out be put the new rod in. First few days it was ok and now it’s back stronger than before. I’ve read where some take it out all together. Is there another style or type that will eliminate the smell? It’s only when the hot water is turned on. Found one online that is powered and runs some current through the water heater to help stop the bacteria from growing. I have an AO smith electric water heater. Thanks for any help or tips.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I've always heard take them out with well water... until recently. Watching this old house they said there is a kind specific to well water-water heaters. I forget what kind of metal, maybe aluminum?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I believe you need an aluminum one, but there are active rods that do a much better job. They get plugged into power, and manage the smell much better.

I've always just cranked them out without draining or flushing, as they need changed somewhat regularly.

I've never had an active anode rod and I'm not a plumber, but next time around I plan to try one. I have exceptionally hard water at this property.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I believe you need an aluminum one, but there are active rods that do a much better job. They get plugged into power, and manage the smell much better.

I've always just cranked them out without draining or flushing, as they need changed somewhat regularly.

I've never had an active anode rod and I'm not a plumber, but next time around I plan to try one. I have exceptionally hard water at this property.
    I actually just ordered one 5 minutes ago.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    Do you have any sort of filtration or softener? I had that smell BAD and it went away after I put filtration and a softener system in. The smell is amplified when the water is heated...so the better the water heater works the more smell you will have.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Not a plumber, but when we bought our house (on a well) we had the same problem.

We wound up getting a new heater anyway, and asked the install plumber to remove the rod entirely. Haven't noticed a smell since.

We also have a water softener.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Do you have any sort of filtration or softener? I had that smell BAD and it went away after I put filtration and a softener system in. The smell is amplified when the water is heated...so the better the water heater works the more smell you will have.
    We have a water softener. The smell only came out when the hot water was turned on.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    What sort of filtration did you put in?

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    Springwell. I went with the best they had. In order of flow - Spin down filter, Well filter, Carbon filter, Blue particulate filter, Softener, and finally a UV light.

The well filter aerates the metals and filters those out. I had organics, living things, in the well so the UV was suggested. It is a million gallon set up so the cost (close to $6k) should be offset over the next 10 years or so. Hard pill to swallow, but clean, stink free, rust free water is a must.

I then filter any drinking/cooking water in a Berkey 2 stage filtration system.

20221122_200925.jpg

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Springwell. I went with the best they had. In order of flow - Spin down filter, Well filter, Carbon filter, Blue particulate filter, Softener, and finally a UV light.

The well filter aerates the metals and filters those out. I had organics, living things, in the well so the UV was suggested. It is a million gallon set up so the cost (close to $6k) should be offset over the next 10 years or so. Hard pill to swallow, but clean, stink free, rust free water is a must.

I then filter any drinking/cooking water in a Berkey 2 stage filtration system.

View attachment 344357
    That's a kick *** system. Our well is great, crystal clear water but an occasional sulfer smell out of the bathroom faucets (nothing else though). We have a softener and RO system for drinking water.

I've heard the smell could be amplified by the liner inside the stainless steel supply lines, but haven't investigated that or swapped them out yet. They are all new (including the kitchen), but the only odor is in the upstairs bathrooms.

Top Bottom