• ...and so much more!
  • Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have arthritis and the meds for it reduce your immune systems ability. So I am very conscious about ticks while on the farm. Does seem early.

Thanks for the warning.

Don

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Any time it’s above freezing you can get ticks out and about.

Since I live in the deep woods and spend a lot of my time in the woods elsewhere, I pretty much live in Insect Shield permethrin bonded clothes from Spring to late Fall. Other clothes get periodically treated with permethrin and the livestock gets it as well. It’s greatly reduced the number I find on me. I also let the chickens out during the day and they help around the house.

Oh, btw, every year is the worst tick year ever according to someone.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I hate ticks... couple of years ago I was getting very tired and lethargic went to the doctor and found out I had Lyme disease.

A friend of mine ended up getting bitten by that tick that gives you the allergy to red meat. That was 4 years ago and he still has the allergy

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    Friday was out in woods with a few friends. I found 3 on myself after returning home. So messaged them, strange that they also found 3 on them. There was 5 of us now 15 less ticks in that woods.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hate ticks... couple of years ago I was getting very tired and lethargic went to the doctor and found out I had Lyme disease.

A friend of mine ended up getting bitten by that tick that gives you the allergy to red meat. That was 4 years ago and he still has the allergy
    There is no one "that tick" that gives it to you. It is just how ever MANY ticks it takes for your system to hit its own max # of tick bites to trigger the allergy. Yours may be ONE, the next guy it may be a thousand or it might be 50.

Use permethrin on your boots, pants, shirt, hat. Less ticks, less chance of getting your "one tick" to trigger it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    There is no one "that tick" that gives it to you. It is just how ever MANY ticks it takes for your system to hit its own max # of tick bites to trigger the allergy. Yours may be ONE, the next guy it may be a thousand or it might be 50.

Use permethrin on your boots, pants, shirt, hat. Less ticks, less chance of getting your "one tick" to trigger it.
    I think he may have meant the species of tick (lone star) that creates the alpha-gal allergy, not a particular number of them.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I found this one on my girlfriends cats neck last weekend. It was stuck on there good too. Tried everything to get it to release, such as a hot match head but nothing worked. Ended up using a pair of tweezers to pull it off. Treated the area with alcohol and some triple antibiotic. She seems fine a week later, no apparent infection. Don’t know where the head went, but it didn’t appear to be in the wound.
    1711921333086.jpeg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I get the occasional tick bite, but permethrin and a lifetime of work in the industrial chemical business I think has made me unappetizing for anything except desperate ticks. ;)

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I found this one on my girlfriends cats neck last weekend. It was stuck on there good too. Tried everything to get it to release, such as a hot match head but nothing worked. Ended up using a pair of tweezers to pull it off. Treated the area with alcohol and some triple antibiotic. She seems fine a week later, no apparent infection. Don’t know where the head went, but it didn’t appear to be in the wound.
    View attachment 343827
    I believe someone on here suggested putting peppermint oil on them to get them to release. I haven't had to try it yet but am prepared.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe someone on here suggested putting peppermint oil on them to get them to release. I haven't had to try it yet but am prepared.

I prefer tweezers but I've used both of the other here as well.

I've never tried peppermint oil.

I suggest you get more than one method ready and do not bother the tick until you are PREPARED to grab it and remove it quickly lest you cause it to regurgitate in to your skin and you'll have a giant itchy sore spot for a freaking month after.

Be prepared. When you act, act quickly and decisively. I don't suggest you aggravate it first with oil, matches or nail polish.

Top Bottom