• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I was alive during the Carter administration but way too young to remember any of it, so I'm hoping some of you old timers can share a little of your knowledge with me.

I've noticed that Obama is either revered or reviled depending on how you see his policies. So, was Carter this divisive and did his followers act as if he walked on water or were most Americans ready to give him the boot?

I've never seen a population more divided in my lifetime.

Meezer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Porter County
    Carter was very reviled. That's one of the reasons why Reagan beat him by a landslide. As bad as Jimmy was, O is a lot worse by far.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    By the end of the Carter Administration, even the Democrat lapdog press and Hollywood was openly mocking him.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I don't remember how he was with foreign policy, but I do remember that the Iranians gave up our hostages real quick when ol' RR was about to get control of the nukes.

I do remember how bad the economy was. When you bought a house, you may as well have put it on a credit card.

The local news programs always seemed to have a story about a housewife who spent 40 hours a week clipping coupons and fed her family of four on only x dollars a month. We haven't gotten that bad (yet), have we?

I remember my parents waking us up early so we could get the gas station before it opened and the lines started to get to long. At the head of the line my dad would order the 5-gallon limit (our big GM V8 probably got 12 mpg, highway). Every evening, the news showed film of the lines, and the signs saying, "Sorry. No gas." Does the media show any negative results of the Obamatard's policies?

I think Carter was largely just inept. Obama, by comparison, seems to be dimantling this country with purpose.

It took a while to undo the damage Carter created. I don't think we will ever recover from what President F#%&stick is doing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I was alive during the Carter administration but way too young to remember any of it, so I'm hoping some of you old timers can share a little of your knowledge with me.

I've noticed that Obama is either revered or reviled depending on how you see his policies. So, was Carter this divisive and did his followers act as if he walked on water or were most Americans ready to give him the boot?

I've never seen a population more divided in my lifetime.

No. Carter was not this divisive. Carter and Obama are very similar in ideology. But Obama is just plain snarky. Also the Carter years were well before the "education" system had produced enough collectivists to allow the president to be as snarky as he is. Carter wold never have gotten away with pulling the crap that Obama does.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Carter was a hapless buffoon. Amazes me that he was once an officer on a nuclear sub. IMO, aside from a terrible economy his worst legacy is how he mishandled the Iranian hostage thing. Can't think of anything positive he accomplished.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Carter was a hapless buffoon. Amazes me that he was once an officer on a nuclear sub. IMO, aside from a terrible economy his worst legacy is how he mishandled the Iranian hostage thing. Can't think of anything positive he accomplished.

At least during the Carter administration, the media was not completely in his pocket. The current President is worshiped by most of the mainstream media. Carter had to face some honest reporting.

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    Carter was completely incompetent at everything. The man was a joke waiting to happen. The biggest difference that I have noticed as compared to BHO, Carter was just disliked. BHO has a very large portion of the population that truly hate him. And of course BHO is much more childish and hateful in his actions and words.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Interesting to hear another perspective on things. Growing up there might be, at most, two paragraphs in an entire textbook regarding Carter and the paragraphs simply referenced a gas crisis and slow economy. I've never heard anyone talk about him as if he were the next messiah but I see people daily that honestly believe Obama is as close to God as one can get. It's baffling how so many people worship him and credit him with making this the greatest country ever because from what I see daily things have only gotten worse since he got into office.

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    Carter was a piker and appclown as you compare to BHO. BHO knows what he is doing and the media has mostly covered for him and himself and his. The attitude they have about gun control is the same as it was in the 90s and they think they have the public on their side. They believe it. They know it. There are exceptions among the elites.
    Watch the man stagger boast as he just got re-elected. If the table is cleared in 2014 and we turn more seats over in the congress he will still do what he wants to do in the exec.

What is a piker?
    #digthemup

B-lou

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Danville In
    Rates

I remember buying my first house at the end of the Carter term, got a rate of 16.5% and was glad to get that.....watching BHO give his speech after the gun bill was voted down was like watching a little kid throwing a tantrum...Bob

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Carter was very reviled. That's one of the reasons why Reagan beat him by a landslide. As bad as Jimmy was, O is a lot worse by far.
    I would agree. Another thing my family experienced is from 71 to 77 We went from Nebraska to Los Angeles, then North Dakota and then down to Indiana. So we got to follow the wave of economic crap that started out west and moved inwards. So about the time the West Coast was recovering, the Midwest was tanking, it was not the entire country at one time. The house we bought in LA in 71 for 40k was worth 180k in 81.

This time it has been nationwide for 5 years and Obama is starting to realize he let too many things pile up and he just became a lame duck even before November of 2014 crushes him. 8 years of Big O makes 4 of Carter look like a walk in the park, especially when we finally get hit with inflation.

The one thing Reagan did right was he made it OK to be American again. The return of National Pride was fantastic after 444 days of taking crap. (and driving 55 MPH)(oh and the metric system on our roads. That was Carters equivalent of Obamacare!)

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I remember buying my first house at the end of the Carter term, got a rate of 16.5% and was glad to get that...
    I think my parent's rate was about that high too. It's a credit card rate, after you've missed a couple of payments.

The one thing Reagan did right was he made it OK to be American again. The return of National Pride was fantastic after 444 days of taking crap. (and driving 55 MPH)(oh and the metric system on our roads. That was Carters equivalent of Obamacare!)
    Oh gawd! I remember having the metric system shoved down my throat for three straight years. According to the repackaged hippies that ran the progressive school system I was in (stinking commies!), the US was going to be all metric by 1980 -- about the same time the next ice age was going to hit (yeah, that's what they were saying). They were wrong about EVERYTHING. I wish I could go back in time and punch them all in the vagina (that includes the "men").

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County

Well, he did serve only one term in office...:D

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Carter was inept and not politically savvy at all. Barack Hussein is exactly the opposite. Hussein is one of the most cunning, shrewd POTUS's we've yet seen. Combine that with a media that, unlike Carter, is willing to serve him without question, and you have the recipe for where we are today.

As far as life for the average American, the days of Carter were MUCH worse than today. Financial times are tight right now but they are much, much better than the late 70's. It's another reason why Barack Hussein is virtually unchallenged by anyone. With an economy as truly bad as it was with Carter, even the liberal media wouldn't be able to save their Black Messiah.

Top Bottom