• ...and so much more!
  • hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Fellow bretheren on INGO:

I submit this question to you - was I too harsh in dealing with this person?

Here is the back story - I saw an ad for a 4x4 winter beater on Craigslist, by the description it didn't seem to be in that bad of shape. The poster stated that he was getting rid of it because he lost his license, and could not get it back until spring - but had bought this rig expecting to be able to title and license it this winter. As such, he had a low price on it, and I inquired about trading for my Ruger P89DC with 3 mags and a holster. Below is the complete transcript of our conversations thus far.....
    Date: Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 8:44 PM

i wold have to see a recept with matching numbers, and if it checks out then yes, i would trade.

Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:23:37 PM
    Subject: Re: 4x4 trade

Where is the Jimmy at? Could I look at it? Do you have a LTCH?
    Please advise.

Thanks!

Jason

Subject: Re: 4x4 trade
    To: "Jason Fendrick" <jnmfendrick@yahoo.com>
    Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 6:03 PM

Not sure what LTCH stand for, and I `m not sure I want any one with a gun knowing where I live, you never answer about the recept matching the numbers? I`m not saying any thing bad about you, Its just you hear about bad thing that happen to people when dealing with online sales.

I know how you feel about the uncertainty of online sales. I have done a few online sales and / or trades, and I go into every one of them wondering what sort of person I am REALLY dealing with.
    To answer your questions:
    1. As for a reciept with matching numbers - I received the Ruger on a trade deal with a guy from east of Elkhart, and as such, all I have is a Bill of Sale - that matches the serial number of the gun.
    2. The reason that I asked you if you had a LTCH (License To Carry a Handgun), is that when you are selling / trading a gun in the state of Indiana, it is important to observe the basic laws pertaining to ownership / transport of a handgun: If you wish to carry a handgun, other than from the purchase point of a gunshop to home; you are required by the State of Indiana to have a LTCH - which is issued by the state, only after an extensive and thorough background check (to ensure that you are of legal age, not a convicted felon, nor a person who is mentally unstable). If, during the time that you hold a LTCH, you are convicted of a Felony, you must surrender that License. My asking if you have one covers both parties involved in regards to the laws about traveling with a gun - only those that have been proven to be law-abiding citizens can do so. I cannot in good conscience hand a gun over to someone that I may have reason to believe should not have one in the first place. SO, with your statement about NOT knowing what a LTCH is, it implies that you have never obtained one, and therefore do not currently hold one. I am not saying anything bad about you either; but, without a LTCH, I have no REAL way of knowing that you are of legal age, not a convicted felon, nor a mentally unstable person.
    3. As for worrying about someone with a gun knowing where you live....... all I can say to you, sir, is that there are people with guns EVERYWHERE. The ones that you REALLY need to worry about are not the ones that choose to abide by the laws of this great state (regardless of how little sense they make); instead, you need to worry more about the thugs, gang-bangers, drug dealers, and general miscreants that would do you harm for no other reason that a quick profit or simple pleasure. Myself, I carry a handgun with me everwhere I go, because in order to protect my family, my property, and yes, even the innocent people in my vicinity - I accept that I must do so. I accept that I cannot rely on the police to save my family from harm - it is not their job - and it is unrealistic to expect the police to be with me every second of the day. I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.

I thank you for your time in this matter, and I wish you the best of luck in the future. I would recommend to you, if you intend to carry a handgun, to go to the local police department, and apply for your LTCH. It takes just a few moments of your time, and some ink on your fingers, a little bit of money, and the process is started. After a few weeks, the local and state police having checked your background and found no reason to disqualify you from carrying a handgun, a License To Carry a Handgun will come to you via regular mail, and you will be good to go. It seems like a lot, but really it is not. Should you get arrested for something, and have a handgun on your person or in your vehicle - without having that License, the penalties can be severe.

Take care, and if you have any other questions pertaining to ownership of guns in the great State of Indiana - check out www.ingunowners.com - there are a lot of good people on there that can help.

Sincerely,

Jason Fendrick
    Elkhart

After I sent the reply, I got to thinking about it, and thought that perhaps, maybe, just a bit...... I was a smart-arse. I know I have that tendency, a little.....:D

Sorry for the long read - I just wanted to see if I was a bit harsh with the guy.
    Thanks!

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    My wife (reading over my shoulder :whip:) says that what you wrote sounds pretty good. I agree (and would even if there weren't some prying eyes around!).

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    Might have been a little harsh for a guy that is not not really into trading guns and has not done too many deals online. He's probably a little scared of the idea and not sure what to do and doesn't want to get "burned"

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    INGO needs a "schooling the sheep" smiley!

Nicely done. I don't know if he'll read it all (It was a little wordy, not that I have room to talk in that area!) and I'm pretty sure I would not have disclosed that I carry all the time outside of a forum like this (nor is it really a bad thing that you did. It's a judgment call, and I am not questioning yours.)...but all in all, no, not harsh at all.

Blessings,
    Bill

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    Bravo sir. That is excellent. I would have to say he may take it as a little harsh but oh well maybe not and he'll learn something out of your interactions. I'd like to know if he replies back.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Looks good and sounds very "professional" it was not a rant
    but the facts, don't worry about holding strong convictions
    some people can deal with it and others can't. :twocents:

Not sure what LTCH stand for

You were right to questions this statement, however on the flip side
    there are still some on this board that ask "what does LTCH stand for?"
    So he might have never heard the term and just knows it as a carry permit
    or gun permit, gun license, etc.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You were right to questions this statement, however on the flip side there are still some on this board that ask "what does LTCH stand for?"

:+1:

LTCH is not a commonly known term to people who don't frequent boards such as INGO. :ingo:

Bull

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Jennings County
    You were right to questions this statement, however on the flip side
    there are still some on this board that ask "what does LTCH stand for?"

agreed, I just knew of it as a personal protection permit until I came here

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    If you are not going to deal with someone who doesn't have a carry permit I would have left it at that. I've had my Permit for over 25 years and still wondered what "LTCH" meant.The guy obviously didn't have much to do with guns and didn't want to carry one so why go into a rant about it. I would say he's probably better off not dealing with you.

Top Bottom