• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    I guess I have been fortunate. Every time I have purchased through an FFL, whether is be a big box store or a LGS, I have only had to wait in the store for a few minutes before being approved and taking my new firearm home.

SilveradoII

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I get delayed every time. I made one purchase a few years ago that still shows delayed. Dealer called me after the minimum time to come in and pick it up. Purchased another gun from him 6 months later and he said that previous one still had no action on it.

JasonCountry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    West Lafayette
    I spent an entire summer waiting for RK to get a proceed. I got a delay, waited 30 days or so with no response from NICS and then had to refill out the 4473 again and repeat for like 3-4 months. Since then I try my best to avoid buying from any place that doesn't honor the 3 day rule. I asked RK why they had this policy and they said it was to protect ME in the case it came back denied... my response is let ME deal with that as I know if I'm an unlawful person or not.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If your buying guns at SPB the. You have enough money to entertain yourself doing something else while you wait as their prices are lousy.
    True, i'll usually go in and look around after our Costco trip. Before covid they would sometimes have some good deals on used guns but i've never been impressed with their new gun pricing. They did have a ton of ammo on the shelves, any 9mm FMJ you wanted as long as you were willing to pay 35.00 a box, even for the no name imported stuff. Kirk's theory did not pan out regarding you have to get it on the shelves for the price to come down lol.

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    I spent an entire summer waiting for RK to get a proceed. I got a delay, waited 30 days or so with no response from NICS and then had to refill out the 4473 again and repeat for like 3-4 months. Since then I try my best to avoid buying from any place that doesn't honor the 3 day rule. I asked RK why they had this policy and they said it was to protect ME in the case it came back denied... my response is let ME deal with that as I know if I'm an unlawful person or not.
    The 3 day no response release is optional for the FFL. Federal law says no firearms transaction is final without a completed 4473. While delayed the FFL is still carrying the firearm on his books. So actually it's not just your problem. If there is a delay,and the FFL releases after 3 days then the buyer gets denied, the FFL is responsible for retrieving the firearm . If the customer doesn't comply, within a specific time period it gets referred to the sheriffs dept. It's also a trigger for an ATF audit. Not a good time for anybody. For a small corner store the low volume sales may never see it. In a high volume chain it's pretty common. It's a complicated and ugly process.
    In today's world selling firearms and staying legal with the convoluted Federal, state, county and municipal laws is a bitch. I'm glad to be out of it and back to just being consumer.

JasonCountry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    West Lafayette
    The 3 day no response release is optional for the FFL. Federal law says no firearms transaction is final without a completed 4473. While delayed the FFL is still carrying the firearm on his books. So actually it's not just your problem. If there is a delay,and the FFL releases after 3 days then the buyer gets denied, the FFL is responsible for retrieving the firearm . If the customer doesn't comply, within a specific time period it gets referred to the sheriffs dept. It's also a trigger for an ATF audit. Not a good time for anybody. For a small corner store the low volume sales may never see it. In a high volume chain it's pretty common. It's a complicated and ugly process.
    In today's world selling firearms and staying legal with the convoluted Federal, state, county and municipal laws is a bitch. I'm glad to be out of it and back to just being consumer.
    I should have said I knew they were doing it for themselves and not me. Frustrated they acted like they were only protecting me.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Is this what the law says? I find it hard to believe if that is what the law says that any FFL would release without a definite proceed vs releasing after 3 business days if a deny is not issued during that period.

If that action is truly on the FFL then it would seem the potential liability on releasing the firearm before a definite proceed is received, would outweigh the profit on any particular sale.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is this what the law says? I find it hard to believe if that is what the law says that any FFL would release without a definite proceed vs releasing after 3 business days if a deny is not issued during that period.
    Yes. It may be released after 3 FULL BUSINESS days at the FFLs discretion.(unless the FFL hears otherwise from the folks at NICS) Its an option and not a requirement.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yes. It may be released after 3 FULL BUSINESS days at the FFLs discretion.(unless the FFL hears otherwise from the folks at NICS) Its an option and not a requirement.
    I get that. I was wondering about the part I bolded in @rala 's post: "If there is a delay,and the FFL releases after 3 days then the buyer gets denied, the FFL is responsible for retrieving the firearm"

If that's true, I could see that being a big concern for any FFL.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, the Dems keep talking about getting rid of the 3 day part of the language.
    And if they do, I'd bet money they would under-man that dept. And the wait times would skyrocket.
    Look at some of the anti-gun States. In their law, licenses to carry are SUPPOSED to be done in a given amount of time. A time which is REGULARLY exceeded. And yet nothing gets done about it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I’ve never been delayed, ever, on any purchase even with multiple NFA items over the course of years. I’m not afraid to put my SS# on the 4473 though. I figure once you’ve been down the NFA road they have everything anyway, so what’s it matter
    I have never heard of the FFL being forced to retrieve a firearm. They have no police powers so I'm not sure how that could possibly work. ATF calls and if the firearm was released THEY get the information from the 4473 and retrieve the firearm because ATF has police powers..
    For those somewhat new to the firearms world. Another example of inept practices by ATF in link below. Hunter Biden IS guilty of lying on a 4473. As you can see they are very quick to deny your rights but fail to prosecute obvious violations of the law by felons.. Give em an inch and they will take 2 miles. Don't give them anything!!

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/articl...0-denied-gun-purchasers-were-prosecuted-fy-17

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    NHT3 is correct. It is not on the FFL to retrieve guns. If a gun is released after 3 days and then NICS comes back with denied it then becomes ATFs problem. I have seen this happen a couple of times and can tell you how ATF handled those situations. Of course this may vary, but here were the options for the purchaser:

1) Relinquish the gun immediately to the ATF. I am sure this is the official response. Plus face any potential charges for buying the gun as a prohibited person.

2) Sell the gun back immediately to the FFL from which it was purchased. That was the option given. ATF told us that if it was only worth a $1 then so be it. It was solely at the discretion of the store to set the price and if they would trade it back in.

Regardless it is a hassle.

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    I get that. I was wondering about the part I bolded in @rala 's post: "If there is a delay,and the FFL releases after 3 days then the buyer gets denied, the FFL is responsible for retrieving the firearm"

If that's true, I could see that being a big concern for any FFL.
    Unfortunately -yes that's the way it works. We would contact the customer and inform them they had to return it to the store. We would have to issue a full refund and be stuck with a used gun, and all the paperwork.

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    NHT3 is correct. It is not on the FFL to retrieve guns. If a gun is released after 3 days and then NICS comes back with denied it then becomes ATFs problem. I have seen this happen a couple of times and can tell you how ATF handled those situations. Of course this may vary, but here were the options for the purchaser:

1) Relinquish the gun immediately to the ATF. I am sure this is the official response. Plus face any potential charges for buying the gun as a prohibited person.

2) Sell the gun back immediately to the FFL from which it was purchased. That was the option given. ATF told us that if it was only worth a $1 then so be it. It was solely at the discretion of the store to set the price and if they would trade it back in.

Regardless it is a hassle.
    Depends on who at the ATF your talking to. We have been told "I'll take care of it" and "Go clean up your mess". As with all things "4473" clear as mud, and an invitation to an ATF audit. Glad to be on the other side of the counter these days.

Top Bottom