• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Long time lurker, seldom poster, and novice and many things. I recently was introduced to a product called the War Lock which allows the user to switch calibers on an AR platform without tools. (google it, I was told no linking). It looked interesting and appealing and seemed based on promo material easy to install without being a gunsmith.

I see benefits in that you can use multiple different calibers on one platform based on availability or intended use (penetration, distance, legality, etc.). Less to carry if you are mobile and uncertain of ammo availability at your destination. (I am NOT talking a end of world belief kind of scenario) or as ammo of one caliber is available at a discounted price you are not limited to only one.

What are pros and cons of something like this? I am not very versed in customization, or the engineering and mechanics of how it works vs durability, safety, reliability.

I am not currently a regular shooter, but I like being able to shoot cheaper rounds on a platform I am used to, but have option of switching to a larger or more powerful round and still have same "feel". This may be due to my lack of experience regularly shooting.

The draw backs is you are limited to ONE working weapon at any time, if you have multiple shooters too bad. Also the initial up front investment for different configurations. Would it just be cheaper to buy multiple different rifles?

If this is the incorrect area to post apologies, I wasn't sure if it belongs here, customization, accessories, etc.

I do NOT have a affiliation in the company marketing, promoting, advertising etc. Full disclosure it was designed by a buddy, and he is usually who I go to with gun questions (only because of accessibility, and personally knowing him) but wanted others opinions as he is biased and I wanted more than the promo information. This was the first I have heard of a product like this, like I said, ignorant of some things. Looking to get more educated/information.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Hey Rick. Not sure who told you no linking, but that is BS. Just don't advertise your products without becoming a proper advertiser. Feel free to put in links, pictures, etc as appropriate.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Was a moderator. I am OK with what he told me. I explained in PM that I wasn't trying to advertise, but linking to product because I had no other way to describe it since I was not term literate of what it does/function/parts. Said post name of product without linking to company as there are paying advertisers who compete and would be perfectly fine. I was unaware of a similar product but was fine with re-posting without link to company and stating product name. I was more interested in education of said product than business referral. Like the guy, seems like a good product, he has always been honest with me, but wasn't posting to drive business to him. Wanted an unbiased non promo information. He has been good about providing that too, but I would be biased in his position.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    There is the Dolos quick change barrel system from Huntertown Arms.

Personally I would be more interested in the MGI Hydra system which allows full caliber changes on the same lower.
    Military Arms Channel has a video of both.

As for linking, the moderator must have felt your post sounds too much like an advertisement.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Never understood the quick change fad.

When you factor in cost and everything, isn't easier and cheaper to just but another upper?

that was my thought too, I'd just build another upper for that money. It's $500 just for the quick change coupler by the looks of it. Still need barrel, handguard, etc.

Top Bottom