Wanting to purchase first handgun, advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iamthameg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Brownsburg, IN
    Alright, so I want to obtain my LTCH and I'm looking to purchase my first handgun. I want something that is easy to conceal and carry on my person. I want a big nasty, but not one of the pink/purple/multi-colored ones. On the other hand, I do want something that is manageable shooting wise. Mark has helped me and has suggested some, i.e. : Kahr PM9, PM45; Ruger SR9c ; Glock 26, 27, 30, etc. I am not a fan of the shorter barrel pistols. Mark has given me good, constructive advice however, since he is my boyfriend and I live with him I feel like his opinion is a little biased based upon what he'd like to see me carry. I don't know a lot about guns and some opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated! :D Thanks!

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    You know you are going to get a million different answers!!

I'd say go to a Gander Mountain (only to fondle firearms) and see what fits you. Then buy from a reputable gun shop.

This is how my wife picked out her first handgun. She did a good job too because I liked hers so much I'm getting myself one just like it! (almost, different color)

Good luck to you and seriously, research and handle a LOT of things before you decide what you want.

emayer7285

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    I would try and get your hands on as many pistols as you can. If possible find a gun shop that rents out firearms and see if you can test fire ones that you really like. And I would encourage some different classes to be proficient with your new pistol whatever you decide on.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Glock, XD, M&P, Ruger.

Frankly, none of them are objectively better than the others, IMHO. All are tough, durable, accurate, reliable guns. Get hands on, see which feels better to you. Shoot them if you can. Pick the one that you like. The SR9 has the shortest track record of them, but seems to be working quite well. Still, the lack of long term experience with them influenced my choice to go with the P95 instead, along with my personal preference for a traditional double action/single action trigger system.

There are other choices than those. They are just some of the major players.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Kahr P380... Well-made, best trigger, good sights, plenty of punch with CorBon or Hornady ammo. Just shot one for the first time tonight. It would be very difficult to choose a better "always" handgun. Just shoot one and you'll see!

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I would try and get your hands on as many pistols as you can. If possible find a gun shop that rents out firearms and see if you can test fire ones that you really like. And I would encourage some different classes to be proficient with your new pistol whatever you decide on.
    This is the best advice I can offer. Even if you don't go to a store that rents them, see if you can find people who have guns you're interested in and are willing to let you put 20 or 50 rounds through them.

That said, I have a SIG P250. I had a P226 before that, which I actually liked better because of the weight of it, but the trigger pull was too much for me when in DA mode. The P250 has a really smooth pull that's only about 4 lbs. It's incredibly reliable - the only FTFs I have ever had with it were because I did something to cause it (like, not seating the mag properly, or using dummy rounds). It conceals fairly well (if I'm willing to make the adjustments to my wardrobe), but since I work at a store that doesn't really believe women's pants should have belt loops, I don't carry often. Another girl I know got the Raven appendix carry rig, and it disappeared completely under her tee shirt (which was not incredibly loose). I do enjoy shooting it, although the muzzle blast is fierce if you ever practice shooting up close and personal with your target. I also like the P250 because it's crazy easy to take apart and put back together to clean. The trigger portability to other size frames is really only worth it to people buying large quantities, like police departments, imho. I'd just rather have the additional trigger assemblies and not mess with switching the frames out if I'm really that in to switching which size frame I'm carrying that day. Downsides: Crazy expensive everything, from the initial purchase to additional magazines to holsters. My holster had to be custom made, and my firearm was used as the mold for at least two holsters, maybe 3. The P250 has been out a while now, though, so things are starting to look up.

However, SIGs are expensive. Glocks are just as (if not more) reliable. OTOH, I don't like how they fit my hand. The grip tends to tear my hand up, but that can be sanded down. Glocks have something like 12 working parts. Take an armorer's course if you can... it rocks to see the thing all in pieces. Trigger pull is nice, not as smooth as the P250 imo, but others might disagree. The G19 is like the Honda Civic of guns - everyone has one, or used to have one, or knows someone who has one. You can find parts for them everywhere, and parts are cheap. They're about as concealable as the P250 is. In regards to the G26, I don't like how short the grip is. I suppose that's true for any sub-compact gun. You can get pinky extensions for that, but you might as well get the G19 for all the space it saves you after you add the extension.

And I know you said you don't like the fancy pink guns - but you know, if a pink gun fits your hand and you like how it shoots and it's reliable, you can always duracoat it black. ;)

The important things to note here are:
    1) Try before you buy.
    2) Try often.
    3) Get a firearm that is known for its reliability. You don't want it to fail when your need is greatest.
    4) Get what is comfortable *to you.*
    5) Be comfortable with the idea that if you want reliable + concealable, you may need to adapt your wardrobe. You'd be amazed at how well a full-size frame conceals on a tiny-frame person if he or she wants it to.

My :twocents:. They're worth what you paid.

bambek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Henry Co.
    My wife started with a 380, but as a new shooter, with limited time to devote to shooting, it just didn't work well for her. I quickly got her a S&W 642 revolver. No muss, no fuss, be there when you need it to function, less worries.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, you can learn to shoot almost any handgun. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I would try and get your hands on as many pistols as you can.

Even if you don't go to a store that rents them, see if you can find people who have guns you're interested in and are willing to let you put 20 or 50 rounds through them.
    Both these ^.
    This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, you can learn to shoot almost any handgun. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....
    And this ^.
    Good advice that's helped a lot of people choose guns.
    Jay never minds when I pimp him out, so here's the deal. Send him a PM and set something up to try some of his handguns. Even if you don't find a firearm in his collection that feels right in your hand, you'll have a frame of reference of "like/dislike" when you look elsewhere.
    And besides...he's just dang fun to shoot with. And he carries tactical candy around.
    Win/win.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Try as many as you can, attend INGO shooting events (even a 4 hour drive is worth meeting and talking to other members and the sheer number of handguns at the NWI shoots is close to being overwhelming), just about everyone will let you try whatever you want. Don't take advise from a forum or a gunshop or anyone with an agenda that isn't what is best for you but instead make up your own mind. Join here and read about other women and their experiences Women & Guns :: Index ...

Above all don't let yourself get pressured into buying something you don't want...take your time and make your own decision.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    There are so many choices, and only so much money :D. I also suggest going somewhere like Gander, and hold as many as you can. See what fits you best. Then start narrowing it down, until you make your final choice. I would suggest a 9mm for caliber choice though. Cheaper to shoot, and lighter on recoil. For a revolver, I would suggest .38 for caliber. Most people are going to swing toward a particular make. There are so many good ones on the market though, it can make for a tough decision. Best of luck, hope you find one that fits you well :D.

deerslayer13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    indpls in
    i would have to say a glock. easy to fire easy to clean and i would trust it not to mis fire on me . on top of that cant be to bad of a gun indians police force choses it as there main handgun of choice

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    Is this the first handgun you've shot, or will this just be the first one that you have owned?

If unfamiliar with handguns, find a cheap .22 and shot a bunch. Ammo is cheap, no recoil, and .22 guns are accurate and fun to shoot.

If you have some experience with handguns, like other posters have stated above, find something that is comfortable in your hands and that is cheap to shoot (9mm probably will fit this requirement). Plan on shooting your new gun a lot to become a proficient markswoman.

You seem two want contrary things: "easy to conceal" and "not a fan of the shorter-barreled pistols." Again find a gun that you can shoot, and like to shoot, and like to shoot often. Please also consider the legal, moral, ethical, etc. consequences to carrying a firearm in daily life. Maybe some training on proper deployment of deadly force would be in order as well. Possession of a LTCH and a pistol doesn't necessarily equate with a person who is ready to carry/deploy lethal force.

Enjoy your quest for your first handgun, you pistol-virgin. I remember those days...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Listen to the people saying "try everything" and not so much the ones saying "I recommend [X brand]."
    The people making specific recommendations don't have your hands attached to their wrists. How could they possibly know what will fit you comfortably?
    Anyhow, good luck with the search. It's half the fun. :)

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I think it would help to list your uses and requirements, on paper. Then a knowledgible friend or salesperson can show you what features and characteristics each gun has which suit (or not) your intended use. For instance, if purse carry seems to be possible, the kind of safety could be an issue, or if carrying IWB, depending on your physical stature, a shorter barrell might be easier/quicker/faster to unholster. Some characteristics might be sacrificed for others, etc....there are a lot of tradeoffs. And by all means, fondle them all...it's just plain fun, to say nothing of instructional. Good luck!! :)

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Try as many as you can, attend INGO shooting events
    This is good advice from 451 ^

1) Go to a few gun stores and handle the firearms. Note which ones fit your hand. Find something safe to point the firearm at - as if you were pointing your finger. Then look at the sights....are the sights lined up to where you are pointing? If they are close, then it is likely that the gun is one to consider.

2) Attend an NRA Basic Pistol Course - many opportunities exist. Just ask on the board for the where's and when's. You will get to fire several different pistols and learn the basics of how handguns operate, and how to operate them safely. Be sure to shoot the .22s first as that will give you a good idea of your early marksmanship skills before heading into firearms where recoil will have to be handled.

3) Then attend an INGO shoot where there will be tons of firearms from which you can try. The PW Shoot, for instance, https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._shoot_part_2_september_25th.html#post1220928 will have at least 25 handguns and all you would need is to buy some ammunition to get a lot of experience with the different makes. It'll also give you a good idea of what level of recoil you can handle so that you can determine what the largest caliber you can shoot accurately with is. Then try to follow up with multiple shots to see if you keep it relatively accurate.

4) Do a little research on ballistics. This is a pretty good site to start with: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

I also recommend Gunshot Wounds- Practical Aspects of Firearms Ballistics etc. by Vincent DiMiao - it'll debunk a lot of fallacies hurled about in the gun community (including this board). It will help to make caliber choice more clear for you based upon real world forensics. Contact me if you are interested as I have a highlighted book so you do not have to read all 400 pages - just the highlighted stuff!

It won't do you a lot of good to carry firearm for personal defense that doesn't have a good amount of energy. While shot placement is #1, we're not all going to shoot 1-2" groups under pressure and larger diameter bullets can help to make up some of that difference.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    I will say this. IF you wind up in a gun shop and are told "Here is what you need, a nice little 22 or 25, because that's what a woman should carry".....run, don't walk out of that place.

Now, the earlier advice you were given about getting a 22, if you are not well experienced with handguns, is good advice.This way you can learn the fundamentals of aiming and trigger control, which will carry over to larger center-fire firearms. But I have seen and heard a lot of advice given to women that they should only have a little gun because it's a "womans gun".
    Good luck! :twocents:

ayz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    get one for a purpose

if it's home defense, get a compact 45

if it's for competition, get something appropriate

my first handgun was a glock 34 with the intent of shooting IDPA. no regrets

if you get a gun just in general, you'll find that it's lacking in certain areas and will want a new one. i.e. too big for concealed, too much kick for competition (smaller caliber), etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom