• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    would anyone know if i would be able to work with a gunsmith. i would like to learn to work on a variety of guns. possibly near clay, parke or vigo county

jimbojr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    SE MI
    would anyone know if i would be able to work with a gunsmith. i would like to learn to work on a variety of guns. possibly near clay, parke or vigo county

Good luck.
    Most will only teach family. You would be better off going to scool for it.:twocents:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Its a very tuff trade to get into... required years to get the experience..... if you can find someone to train under go that way, but you will have to see litterally thousands of makes and models before you are comforitable breaking them down all the way... i suggest starting with yours, taking them all the way down over and over again until its super easy.... buy some basic quality tools.... the other option is to attend a college, i think there are three in the country, none of them even remotely close to indiana... either way its not a very easy thing to get into... i have been trying my hardest in my spare time for about two years, and its still a major investment on my part.
    HTH

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i was interested in this as well, so i took an armorers course in the army. 90% of it was how to do paperwork. im not all that worried about it any more.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Some places have summer courses for specific platforms. I've looked into the Pennsylvania Gunsmithing School, but they are backlogged to where it would be 2 years before getting in. I'm taking advantage of being out of work since, now I'm out of school and have my worthless piece of paper of a BA degree...

I'm just going to do some hit or miss types of classes, and learn most by myself.

Last edited:

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    It fascinates me, but I'm pretty sure it will remain just a hobby. I enjoy taking mine down to every pin and screw. I polish and clean guns for friends, just to get experience.

It would be awesome to do it full-time, but in addition to education, I don't really think it would be a viable option as a money making career.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    It fascinates me, but I'm pretty sure it will remain just a hobby. I enjoy taking mine down to every pin and screw. I polish and clean guns for friends, just to get experience.

It would be awesome to do it full-time, but in addition to education, I don't really think it would be a viable option as a money making career.

Top Bottom