• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    They make a checkered strap that mounts under the grip panels. Or you might check with AllenM. He does a lot of 1911 work. He might do it or can point you in the right direction.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I too was thinking of having that done. Right now I have a piece of skateboard tape there. It works real good. I will wait until the pistol needs a refinish, then de-horn it and possibly have the checkering done.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    They make a checkered strap that mounts under the grip panels. Or you might check with AllenM. He does a lot of 1911 work. He might do it or can point you in the right direction.
    Thanks for the info I will keep that in mind for sure.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Sorry, i dont do checkering. But I hope invest in a fixture that will allow me to on my mill in the not to distant future

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    From what i read it is tedious and time consuming and not cheap, but I receive plenty of requests for it. So we'll see. I am thinking in 30 to 45 days I will look into it

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    From what i read it is tedious and time consuming and not cheap, but I receive plenty of requests for it. So we'll see. I am thinking in 30 to 45 days I will look into it
    From what little research I have done so far, I have seen 2 methods. They both use a jig to position either the part or the tool to correct position based on the lines per inch (lpi). 1, uses a file to cut the lines and would be done by hand and I am assuming very time consuming. 2, uses a mill to do the work with a bit that is like a keyway cutter that cuts a V groove instead of a flat or square groove.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    From what little research I have done so far, I have seen 2 methods. They both use a jig to position either the part or the tool to correct position based on the lines per inch (lpi). 1, uses a file to cut the lines and would be done by hand and I am assuming very time consuming. 2, uses a mill to do the work with a bit that is like a keyway cutter that cuts a V groove instead of a flat or square groove.

I will setup to do on my mill, its a few bucks for what I want to buy to do it with

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not to shoot myself in the foot (no pun intended) this looks like a good deal here

Machine Checkering 1911

I think you would do fine. Amortizing the cost of the fixturing and the price you could charge, your ROI would be pretty quick. Sending it to Clarks will cost $200 by the time you are done. And by sending you the business, it would remain within the state and with someone we know.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Ive seen and handle quite of few checkering jobs through the years. Ive yet to find one that was able to combine form and function together so well like Stan Chen custom. Look him up.

Top Bottom