• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Stan Chen, Jim Garthwaite, Pete Single, CT Brian - hand checkering by these guys is a work of art into itself. But it's expensive, and as many of these talented gentlemen are getting older they are stopping hand checkering purportedly because of the toll it takes on fingers wrists and joints. I'm sure some younger guys might be picking it up, but most folks seem happy with machine checkering, and why not? It is even, controlled and less expensive. But when you see checkering by one of those masters above, it is really something.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Checkering setup is marvels from Brownells , 30 lpi file, I would post pictures if I could ever get them to upload.

what the hell is the problem uploading pictures from my tablet? I ALWAYS get that it exceeded my quota by 200-300kb

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Checkering setup is marvels from Brownells , 30 lpi file, I would post pictures if I could ever get them to upload.

what the hell is the problem uploading pictures from my tablet? I ALWAYS get that it exceeded my quota by 200-300kb

Easier to host them on photobucket. It's free and easy to use. If you want you can email the file to me (if you don't want to mess with it) and I'll send you back a link you can post.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I know Neal Keller of Kustom Ballistics does checkering. He might know a thing or two about 1911's. Check him out at Kustom Ballistics. He's from Decatur, IN. He also sells the fixtures to machine checkering, fish scales, and snake skin.

We mentioned Neil upthread a bit. I've never had the pleasure of meeting him, but certainly by reputation he is on the short list of master pistolsmiths.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    I loaned him the checkering fixture and files so we will see how his job turned out

I am starting to make a jig for my minimill based on the jig you loaned me to get a clean pass on the front strap to make sure it is level before filing the checkering. I am just waiting on getting a replacement DRO beam because somehow I misplaced one while rebuilding the mill. I rebuilt it with the LittleMachineShop.com's "Solid column" and base since I could not get the pivoting type to true up while tramming. Once the jig is ready I will try to get some pictures and maybe even a video posted of the process. We will see since I don't have, what you might call, a camera personality.

Once I go full CNC I will probably go with a Grizzly to try to save myself some grief.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

I had that one and sold it, all I do now is put a thin piece of steel next to the frame and c-clamp it on, cut my first few verticals and then just finish it up.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Stan Chen, Jim Garthwaite, Pete Single, CT Brian - hand checkering by these guys is a work of art into itself. But it's expensive, and as many of these talented gentlemen are getting older they are stopping hand checkering purportedly because of the toll it takes on fingers wrists and joints. I'm sure some younger guys might be picking it up, but most folks seem happy with machine checkering, and why not? It is even, controlled and less expensive. But when you see checkering by one of those masters above, it is really something.

Most of the big names now just send their frames to Pete, many are now even admitting it.

Top Bottom