• ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Nope. New cars are dealer direct.
    ?

But they are not manufacturer direct as you mentioned you would prefer earlier. Auto Dealers are mandated by law in many states. I believe Tesla ran into issues when trying to not sell via dealers.

There are also distribution agreements such as I understand Toyota has in the southeast US, etc that provides territorial distribution monopolies.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I get being picky over your purchases, but some customers could waste a lot of time being OCD about details.

I always tried to accommodate them, but it definitely tried my patience.
    Depends on what the customer is buying. I get your point on run of the mill polymer shooters that are the volume these days. It is hard to get teary eyed over these plastic princesses, but when I order a $5000 Sharps or other rifles and shotguns, I seem to care a little more than the casual gun owner.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ?

But they are not manufacturer direct as you mentioned you would prefer earlier. Auto Dealers are mandated by law in many states. I believe Tesla ran into issues when trying to not sell via dealers.

There are also distribution agreements such as I understand Toyota has in the southeast US, etc that provides territorial distribution monopolies.
    Pfft. I'm sure Trapper Jim has his vehicles custom made from scratch. Home steel producer, electronics producer, plastic producer, to fabricator to direct sales to the consumer. He's fabulously wealthy don't you know!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Well good luck with that. :thumbsup: I would suggest having all your guns custom made from scratch by an individual with no employees if that's what you're really after. Hope you have deep pockets.
    Wish I could and I didn’t say it could be changed, just complaining I guess. Wait to you order your $4000 Wilson Combat and you go to pick it up with an idiot scratch on it. Not good.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wish I could and I didn’t say it could be changed, just complaining I guess. Wait to you order your $4000 Wilson Combat and you go to pick it up with an idiot scratch on it. Not good.
    I get it. And I've been throwing out counter arguments that are equally ridiculous. But it is the way of things today. And FWIW I would never spend $4000 on any firearm, not even if I won the lottery. That's just crazy. That's an ego thing, and nothing more.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

I get it. And I've been throwing out counter arguments that are equally ridiculous. But it is the way of things today. And FWIW I would never spend $4000 on any firearm, not even if I won the lottery. That's just crazy. That's an ego thing, and nothing more.
    We’re cool. Different Strokes

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Depends on what the customer is buying. I get your point on run of the mill polymer shooters that are the volume these days. It is hard to get teary eyed over these plastic princesses, but when I order a $5000 Sharps or other rifles and shotguns, I seem to care a little more than the casual gun owner.
    It does depend.

The situation that comes to my mind is a guy who spent half an hour or longer trying to pick the better of two identical brand new arsenal ak rifles. Neither one had any discernable flaws or differences, but he was making sure to pick the better one.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    It does depend.

The situation that comes to my mind is a guy who spent half an hour or longer trying to pick the better of two identical brand new arsenal ak rifles. Neither one had any discernable flaws or differences, but he was making sure to pick the better one.
    I get it. When you work in retail, crazies come with the job.

On the other hand, I’ve seen (and worked for) a dealer that swapped parts between two new guns and another (didn’t work for him) that would clean up used guns (some customer returns) and sell them as new.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I get it. When you work in retail, crazies come with the job.

On the other hand, I’ve seen (and worked for) a dealer that swapped parts between two new guns and another (didn’t work for him) that would clean up used guns (some customer returns) and sell them as new.
    That speaks more to an unscrupulous individual than the retail industry as a whole. I understand how that would sour you on the process though.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    That speaks more to an unscrupulous individual than the retail industry as a whole. I understand how that would sour you on the process though.
    To be clear, there are a lot of hardworking honest and caring gun dealers. As a matter of fact, the bad ones don’t stay in business long. My comments were mostly about the process that we must go through to buy a gun and why I will not work in one.

See you on the range

Trapper

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The point is all retail goods go from manufacturer, to wholesalers to distributors and finally to the retail outlet. Unless you're buying directly from the manufacturer (and your gun would be handled by the assemblers, quality inspectors, pickers and packers there), you tell me how you would get a gun that has not been touched by anyone.

I've special ordered a few pieces from a lgs. The box was basically unsealed in front of me.

Top Bottom