• jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Don't make me kick you.

Seriously, jedi, thanks for pulling the codes together. They're sprinkled here and there throughout the FAQ, but I think you have the most comprehensive and concise list on here yet. :)

Thanks Pami. In a prior life I must have been a librarian or record files clerk. I just love to organize stuff and could spend hours on end in a basement library just categorizing stuff to my hearts contend. Sad but true. :laugh:

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    went to cabela's today in hammond off of 80/94..they had sign at the front door that read.....For the saftey of our patrons all guns must be checked at the door before entering..then under that it read....accept those who have a concealed weapon permit...
    i might be wrong but.....anyone in indiana have a concealed weapon permit?

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    went to cabela's today in hammond off of 80/94..they had sign at the front door that read.....For the saftey of our patrons all guns must be checked at the door before entering..then under that it read....accept those who have a concealed weapon permit...
    I have a concealed weapon..................:D

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC

Just speculating, but it's probably a generic sign for all of their stores... considering there is a whopping 1 in Indiana, and considering most states have concealed carry permit in opposed to a LTCH, it makes perfect senes. That being said, who cares what the sign says, the underlying point is that you CAN carry there.

I also agree that having the "law" in your pocket is utterly useless.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @Buffalo

1) Welcome to INGO
    2) There is a NWI INGO group you might be interested in:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana
    (We have get togethers, CC/OC events, range outings, etc...)
    3) There are many threads on here on the Cabela's signs and issues that we have talked, re-talked, and re-re-talked about.

Summary is you can OC or CC in the store and they are OK with it. If you are taking your handgun to get it serviced (repair, shipped out) or to try a new holster THEN AND ONLY THEN do you need to "check it in" with the customer service desk. Someone from the gun dept. will come and help you out.

They do this (me thinks) for insurance purposes and to ensure that "that gun" is unloaded so when they or you are handling it for the holster or repair that it does not go BANG! Note this does not apply to GLOCKs those go BANG all the time just by looking at them. So please NO GLOCKS ;)

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    thanks for the welcome and the info jediagh.....lol at the glock comment...ya know the 1st person ya shoot with a glock..is yourself....I've learned more about gun laws in the short time i've been here then the 30 yrs i've been carrying....if gun info was explosive...i'd have a mushroom cloud over my puter...tx again

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    i see comments like this every so often. what is the big deal? im not a linguist but what is the difference between a permit and a license?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    i see comments like this every so often. what is the big deal? im not a linguist but what is the difference between a permit and a license?

The short answer is NONE. Language wise both permit and license mean to "give permission". Some here and elsewhere however view a "permit" as something "lower" than a license. Since you get a "driver's permit", a "pilot's permit", etc.. **BEFORE** you can get your driver's/pilot license. So translate that to firearms and well you understand.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Good list ! I really could've used this the other day .

icon10.gif
    I stumped a LEO
    On my way home from work tonight I stopped in my local gas station and was talking to a clerk .

A local LEO was in his civies , talking with the other clerk and I could hear the conversation .

The clerk noticed his gun and badge and asked him about OC'ing vs CCing .

The officer said it was a "concealed carry permit and according to code it had to be concealed ".

I walked over to him and took out my pink slip and asked him where on my license did it say that I had to conceal it and if he knew which code it was ?

We walked out to our vehicles and he pulled out a little thick , red book .

It was a copy of 2009 IN. Criminal Codes .

He thumbed through it for a few minutes using my LTCH for a book mark and said I had "stumped him " , now he would be looking for that all night long .

I diplomatically informed him that the ISP website said that IN. law was silent on the issue .

He informed me that he was "always told that it had to be concealed" and that it would cut down on " harassment issues and man with a gun calls " .

He told me that he had to go but when he found the code , he would " leave it at the gas station for me " .

I smiled , thanked him for his time and quietly thought to myself " yeah , you do that buddy but I won't hold my breath " .
    biggrin.gif

MODS: Sorry , I'm too lazy to re-type it all .

This happened about last Thursday .

I spoke with the same clerks tonight and they said he's (LEO) been in but hasn't said another word about it . :D

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle

Usually the word "permit" denotes a concealed carry permit in that states that require concealed carry use the term. Indiana allows open carry and simply issues a license to carry a handgun. It is splitting hairs and the terms really are interchangeable. There are surely some exceptions as well. However, when someone calls it a permit people naturally infer concealed only. Those that are sticklers for using the correct term don't want to cause any confusion about Indiana's open carry status.

ETA: Michigan is such an exception. They issue a CPL; a concealed pistol license.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Usually the word "permit" denotes a concealed carry permit in that states that require concealed carry use the term. Indiana allows open carry and simply issues a license to carry a handgun. It is splitting hairs and the terms really are interchangeable. There are surely some exceptions as well. However, when someone calls it a permit people naturally infer concealed only. Those that are sticklers for using the correct term don't want to cause any confusion about Indiana's open carry status.

ETA: Michigan is such an exception. They issue a CPL; a concealed pistol license.

great point... i also have a home in michigan...i guess thats why i was surprised at the cabela sign here in indiana....is it a big deal between the words permit and license?...maybe not ..depending on which house i'm at .

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    great point... i also have a home in michigan...i guess thats why i was surprised at the cabela sign here in indiana....is it a big deal between the words permit and license?...maybe not ..depending on which house i'm at .

Yeah, some people simply care more then others. For me, I use the term the issuing state uses. So I call Indiana's permission slip a license to carry.

Arieas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Indianapois
    Thanks to both the OP, and Mlang2000. as someone who is just getting into firearms and just getting my permit this is very helpful, i have already passed this on to a few friends.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    JEDIAGH

I was wanting to know if you can email me the file of the codes so i can have one for my wallet. My e-mail is sfoster1990@gmail.com

thank you

Send & :welcome: 2 :ingo:

NWI INGO MEMBERS

Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

UPCOMING EVENTS
    Every Wed: Lunch, Cigars, and Guns @ Pine Island Pit Stop Cigar Lounge
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ne_island_pit_stop_cigar_lounge_part_2_a.html

Appleseed for NWI

2 Day Courses
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Calendar
    19-20 MAR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    02-03 APR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN

Keep this post for uncoming info & updates
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/appleseed/107083-new_ranges_coming_to_eventbright.html

NEED YOUR HELP
    List of ranges in NWI; Is your range here?:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

Pro-Gun & Anti-Gun Stores in NWI:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...un_and_anti-gun_stores_northwest_indiana.html

OTHER INFO
    A Guide to Protecting Your Rights: What to do when LEO stop you and your are carrying.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...what_to_do_when_leo_stops_you.html#post915009

Wallet IN LTCH Info with IC Codes
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../83645-wallet_in_ltch_info_with_ic_codes.html

FFLs in Indiana
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/81265-indiana_gun_shop_info_-_combined.html

Top Bottom