• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I use a cane every day. Problem is when I first started watching some self defense videos, and training with mine, I broke the cheap piece of crap one the VA gave me.

Then they gave me this real stupid heavy steel one with an adjustable end. Works ok, but I NEVER use it. It clinks with ever step. Though it's weight, and strength would make for a formidable weapon, it's weight would make for slow moves.

I got myself one of those long shepherd crooks at a farm store, and cut it down to size. Very sturdy, and looks like a normal wood cane, but beefier. Been using it for years now. I can beat the crap out of it, and it has never cracked or broken yet. Easy to replace if it does.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I use a cane every day. Problem is when I first started watching some self defense videos, and training with mine, I broke the cheap piece of crap one the VA gave me.

Then they gave me this real stupid heavy steel one with an adjustable end. Works ok, but I NEVER use it. It clinks with ever step. Though it's weight, and strength would make for a formidable weapon, it's weight would make for slow moves.

I got myself one of those long shepherd crooks at a farm store, and cut it down to size. Very sturdy, and looks like a normal wood cane, but beefier. Been using it for years now. I can beat the crap out of it, and it has never cracked or broken yet. Easy to replace if it does.

Study up on the methods that don't involve striking with the cane shaft like a baton or bat. There are a lot of reaching, jabbing and hooking things to do with even cheap flimsy canes when you use the ends. Knees, groin, neck, ankles...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Irish Blackthorn bought in Ireland. I also have a Cold Steel Blackthorn. I've dropped them both and the legitimate Blackthorn has shown no wear; the CS one does. I'd trust either to provide a legitimate blow.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I wonder if using your cane to stop someone getting beaten would buy you some legal sympathy?

A: I don't use public transportation.
    B: I'd have done some whoopin'.
    C: Happened right in front of the kids and you didn't do anything means your training your kids to be victims and not do anything. SMH

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    A: I don't use public transportation.
    B: I'd have done some whoopin'.
    C: Happened right in front of the kids and you didn't do anything means your training your kids to be victims and not do anything. SMH
    Too many people are content to stand by and film stuff rather than get involved personally...
    I'd have been standing between the aggressor and the woman...
    Real men protect women...they don't abuse them...emotionally, psychologically, or physically!!!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Study up on the methods that don't involve striking with the cane shaft like a baton or bat. There are a lot of reaching, jabbing and hooking things to do with even cheap flimsy canes when you use the ends. Knees, groin, neck, ankles...
    Exact-a-mundo....swinging a cane or walking stick like a bat is the easiest to defend against and the quickest way to have it grabbed or removed from your possession and, possibly, then used against you!
    Learn the various strike points on the body and engage them with jabs or hooks...not many fight back very quickly after a solid jab to key points on the body...gives you time to change up your tactics, evade, or even egress the immediate area if need be.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I wonder if using your cane to stop someone getting beaten would buy you some legal sympathy?

Videos like this never show what leads up to the seconds portrayed. I'm not saying that it is ok to strike anyone; it isn't except in self-defense situations. What I'm saying is that everyone has a temper (some quicker than others). Anyone can be provoked. These edited videos don't give the whole story.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Videos like this never show what leads up to the seconds portrayed. I'm not saying that it is ok to strike anyone; it isn't except in self-defense situations. What I'm saying is that everyone has a temper (some quicker than others). Anyone can be provoked. These edited videos don't give the whole story.

Oh I agree. The woman popped her head right back up, like she expected to be hit after whatever came out of her mouth.

I was leaning more into the idea of using your "needed" cane rather than going hands on with someone that gave you little choice. And the idea that your "needed" cane was already in your old man hands, thus justifying beat down you gave in defense of yourself and others. Maybe getting a fast easy favorable decision legally vs a fight broke out and both parties were at fault.

You could always shoot the bad guy, but that's dangerous to bystanders and in those close quarters there might not be a shot at all? Of course, if you shoot the guy, then you are at fault for bringing a gun into a fist fight. Outcome will be costly at best.

Last edited:

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a cane I picked up in England that looks like oak but has a 10mm aluminum rod in the center. The rod goes from one end to the other. It is bent with the hook. Wish I could find another like it. It reinforces the wood and is light. TSA looks long and hard at it if I fly. They are thinking sword cane. I picked it up in the 80's and have sanded and refinished it a couple of times over the years. There is a seam where it is put together. It can and has take a hit hard enough to knock it out of one of my hands and not break.

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    After my back surgery three years ago and long walks or rough terrain require my walking stick or a cane.
    The 9mm in my pocket is what I count on for protection, the stick may indeed afford my a fast strike.
    Thankfully I have retained all of my upper body strength and most of my leg strength, its just the bottom two vertebra that are in constant pain.

Top Bottom