• indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm wanting to shoot as far as I can for as little money as I can:cool:
    I seen that refurbished one, but didn't really want refurbished.

Ok, I'll take one for the team..

Why not? Same warranty as a 1st run.

Edit: All my scopes are Vortex. They do what I ask of them every time. I have a LR rig that ive successfully shot at 1,000 yards with a 100 yr zero, on paper 1st round.

Alan Alcorn wouldn't sell something that was substandard.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm wanting to shoot as far as I can for as little money as I can:cool:
    I seen that refurbished one, but didn't really want refurbished.

There is nothing wrong with not wanting refurbished, but your kind of contradicting yourself saying you want "to shoot as long as possible for as little as possibel", and "not refurbished". YOu can have either of those things, but not both those things if that makes sense. Dollar for dollar, you will not find anything on the market in any brand that is even close to a refurb.

That said, are you intending to hunt with this?

What is the caliber?

What is your definition of long? Some folks say that and never intend to shoot 200, some never intend 500, 1000, 2000, etc, etc. An intended max range in necessary to determine internal travel requirements.

I am Alan from A&A at 936 on a Friday night. Lets see Alex from Euro do that.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've bought a refurb Vortex off of Alan and it's done everything a NIB one can do for a fraction of the price. Support local too, buy from AA... I guarantee you'll get better customer service there than anywhere else.

shaynster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Rochester
    I'm getting a 6.5 creedmoor Ruger Precision rifle. I'd like to shoot a 1000 yards if I can find somewhere to shoot that far.

Alan you make some good points I'll take another look at your website.

Thank,
    Shayn

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Dont be afraid of the refurbished Vortex they carry the same warranty. I've bought two from A&A and besides the boxes they look new.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Now another question, moa or mrad?

MOA and MRAD do the same job in different ways. Neither is better, just diffrent math. I often tell people to get what their buddies shoot so you all speak the same language.

If you dont intend to hunt, I'd go with the 6-24 version of the scope your referring to. It has enough travel to get you to 1k eith the creedmoore, and the extra zoom will help shoot tighter groups.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not Allen, but I've had both of the scopes he and you mention. I'd certainly go with a refurb in 6-24 version. Same price range, same warranty. Little stuff at long range looks bigger and you are much more likely to see holes in your target. :yesway:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Last year 43 out of the top 50 shooters in PRS used a Vortex, so that scenario is just as likely to go the

yes. But what about the Homeland?

Jfyi, in 2007 I picked up a Leupold 1-4 pigplex to go hog hunting and put it on my AR10. Went and 2nd day the reticle went of center. It maybe had 2 dozen shot on it and was disappointed but the guide let me use his rifle the rest of the day and he let me use it the remainder of the trip. It was a Vortex Crossfire2 1-4 vbrite and it had zero issues. Got home and called Leupold and was met with resistance on getting the warranty fix done. They informed me that the scope wasnt designed for a high caliber and would have to pay for shipping and pay a discounted fee for repair, needless to say I wasnt to pleased. They informed me that they would give me credit towards a different scope and I took them up on it. Only got about 80% of my money spent towards a vx2 6-18 but I did it. I used that for a year or so. One day at the range my rifle fell off the sand bags and hit the table top on the windage turret. It wasnt a bad fall, maybe 10" at most. I couldnt get the windage to work after that so when I got back home I gave Leupold a call. I was informed it was my fault and that it would cost me shipping and labor to repair. I was very disappointed in their attitude and their costumer service. So much for their lifetime warranty. Told them they could shove their scopes and warranty opposite the hole they spewed their warranty and quality from and do their best popsicle imitation.
    I then picked up a Vortex Crossfire2 1-4 and was fortunate to go hog hunting again and had a great time without issue. That same year I went to Knob Creek and competed in their assault rifle comp with the Crossfire and did quite well concidering the top players were military and had free ammo and rangetime. I went back in the fall and competed again except while running between target sets I tripped and dropped my rifle and the scope hit perfect on a rock and windage turret was trashed. My fault and accepted it. I got home and contacted Vortex and they said no problem and would fix or replace it and emailed me a shipping voucher. 7 days later I had a brand new scope. The next Christmas my gf got me a Vortex Viper 6-24 bdc. When mounting it I over torqued it due to a bad torque driver and little experience and crimped the tube and that offset the reticle. Again my fault but called Vortex and they said they would have to look at it and emailed me another shipping voucher. I said I would pay for the repair since I knew it was due to my negligence but he said that we would discuss that after they looked at it. About 10 days later I received a brand new scope. I was elated. Would have been happy to pay just to reassure my gf that I respected her gift and to accept my dumbass attack but I didnt have to.
    Last year I picked up a Vortex Viper gen2 5-25 ebr2c reticle ffp and loved it. Took it to the range with better success than expected. The 1000yd gong was my prey. Killed it many times that day. Went from 500 - 1000 and the reticle was easy to use and made me look pretty good that day. I got home and seen my battery cap was missing and couldnt find it. I again gave Vortex a call to get it replaced. I was informed that it would be sent out the next day at no cost. I told her she rocked and thank you very much. 3days later I had a new battery cap, a new Vortex trucker cap, 10 different Vortex stickers and a catalog.
    I also have a few US Optics scopes. A new B25 5-25 Gap reticle on my 6.5 creedmoor and picked up a used LR-17 3.2-17 Gap reticle on my 270. I love both of them but for cost I bet they will be my onlys.
    I'm all about the homeland product, I drive 2 Fords and a Jeep, but when they cant stand behind their product and only will if you treat it like a glass egg I have to give my decision process pause.
    For the money and costumer service you cant beat Vortex and would agree with Allen that a higher magnification for close to the same price would greatly benefit the OP.
    You might have got lucky and got a good Leupold but they have seen my last dollar and to doubt or question Allens information or think you advice is better is pretty insulting and unjustified. Stand behind your brother, brother. Thats how he built a successful business.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Jfyi, in 2007 I picked up a Leupold 1-4 pigplex to go hog hunting and put it on my AR10. Went and 2nd day the reticle went of center. It maybe had 2 dozen shot on it and was disappointed but the guide let me use his rifle the rest of the day and he let me use it the remainder of the trip. It was a Vortex Crossfire2 1-4 vbrite and it had zero issues. Got home and called Leupold and was met with resistance on getting the warranty fix done. They informed me that the scope wasnt designed for a high caliber and would have to pay for shipping and pay a discounted fee for repair, needless to say I wasnt to pleased. They informed me that they would give me credit towards a different scope and I took them up on it. Only got about 80% of my money spent towards a vx2 6-18 but I did it. I used that for a year or so. One day at the range my rifle fell off the sand bags and hit the table top on the windage turret. It wasnt a bad fall, maybe 10" at most. I couldnt get the windage to work after that so when I got back home I gave Leupold a call. I was informed it was my fault and that it would cost me shipping and labor to repair. I was very disappointed in their attitude and their costumer service. So much for their lifetime warranty. Told them they could shove their scopes and warranty opposite the hole they spewed their warranty and quality from and do their best popsicle imitation.
    I then picked up a Vortex Crossfire2 1-4 and was fortunate to go hog hunting again and had a great time without issue. That same year I went to Knob Creek and competed in their assault rifle comp with the Crossfire and did quite well concidering the top players were military and had free ammo and rangetime. I went back in the fall and competed again except while running between target sets I tripped and dropped my rifle and the scope hit perfect on a rock and windage turret was trashed. My fault and accepted it. I got home and contacted Vortex and they said no problem and would fix or replace it and emailed me a shipping voucher. 7 days later I had a brand new scope. The next Christmas my gf got me a Vortex Viper 6-24 bdc. When mounting it I over torqued it due to a bad torque driver and little experience and crimped the tube and that offset the reticle. Again my fault but called Vortex and they said they would have to look at it and emailed me another shipping voucher. I said I would pay for the repair since I knew it was due to my negligence but he said that we would discuss that after they looked at it. About 10 days later I received a brand new scope. I was elated. Would have been happy to pay just to reassure my gf that I respected her gift and to accept my dumbass attack but I didnt have to.
    Last year I picked up a Vortex Viper gen2 5-25 ebr2c reticle ffp and loved it. Took it to the range with better success than expected. The 1000yd gong was my prey. Killed it many times that day. Went from 500 - 1000 and the reticle was easy to use and made me look pretty good that day. I got home and seen my battery cap was missing and couldnt find it. I again gave Vortex a call to get it replaced. I was informed that it would be sent out the next day at no cost. I told her she rocked and thank you very much. 3days later I had a new battery cap, a new Vortex trucker cap, 10 different Vortex stickers and a catalog.
    I also have a few US Optics scopes. A new B25 5-25 Gap reticle on my 6.5 creedmoor and picked up a used LR-17 3.2-17 Gap reticle on my 270. I love both of them but for cost I bet they will be my onlys.
    I'm all about the homeland product but when they cant stand behind their product and only will if you treat it like a glass egg I have to give my decision process pause.
    For the money and costumer service you cant beat Vortex and would agree with Allen that a higher magnification for close to the same price would greatly benefit the OP.
    You might have got lucky and got a good Leupold but they have seen my last dollar and to doubt or question Allens information or think you advice is better is pretty insulting and unjustified. Stand behind your brother, brother. Thats how he built a successful business.

sorry this happened to you. However1 is not quite a scientific sample. I own 15 and have had about 30 in my lifetime, even dropped a scoped rifle down a flight of stairs and ran over one with my truck as my kid thought he’d lean it up again my bumper so I would see it. Never had to send one back so I can’t speak of CS. Some on violent Thompson Center calibers. Still no problem.

you must do what you feel is right. Good luck to you.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Last year 43 out of the top 50 shooters in PRS used a Vortex, so that scenario is just as likely to go the

yes. But what about the Homeland?

What about it? There is only 1 company in america that makes any scopes here, and that is the Vortex AMG series.

A lot of comoanys manufacture parts over seas, and ammemble in america. 1 company calls that "made in America" everyone else call that "made in ???"

The only real difference is Leupold employees 500sh employees in Oregon, Voryex employees 698 in Wisconsin.

People are always understandably resistant to see what is out there besides what they have always used. When they do, they see that the grass really is greener, but making that first jump is hard, especially when it's a company your father probably swore by. Fact is, over time companies change, and Leupold is not the same company it was in the 80's.

Jim, if you have any questions, I'll be happy to spend some time on the phone with you if you decide to see what else is out there. If not I completely understand, and wish you happy shooting.

Last edited:

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    sorry this happened to you. However1 is not quite a scientific sample. I own 15 and have had about 30 in my lifetime, even dropped a scoped rifle down a flight of stairs and ran over one with my truck as my kid thought heÂ’d lean it up again my bumper so I would see it. Never had to send one back so I canÂ’t speak of CS. Some on violent Thompson Center calibers. Still no problem.

you must do what you feel is right. Good luck to you.

It was 2 not 1, my first 2 and last ever Leupold anything. I have always went by a old saying told to me by a very wise man, fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. It only took 2. I felt it right to share my experiences with the OP. Im glad you have had success in your scope choices and hope you continue on that path. Good luck to you also and Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Top Bottom