• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A co-worker brought me this since she knows I reload. She had no idea what it is and I'm not sure either. There are no markings on it of any kind but it appears to be some type of a cartridge loader.

It looks like some vintage shot shell loaders I have seen pictures of.

Then again it might an olive pit remover.

Any one have any input on what this is? Thanks. IMG-2377.JPG

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Looks like a finish crimper for paper shotshells. WIthout measurements, or a size reference it is hard to tell.

The old Lyman shotshell loading manuals had pictures of a lot of little gizmos like that. I started with a Lee Loader and mallet, and went straight to a MEC press.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Looks like a finish crimper for paper shotshells. WIthout measurements, or a size reference it is hard to tell.

The old Lyman shotshell loading manuals had pictures of a lot of little gizmos like that. I started with a Lee Loader and mallet, and went straight to a MEC press.
    Leo, I thought of you when the person gave it to me. I figured you or maybe @Trapper Jim might know.

It is sized to a typical shotshell. I has one end that looks like it would work on 16/12 ga and a smaller end that may work on 410/20ga. You can adjust the length so when you operate the lever it only travels so far. But the inside of each end is concave so I can't see in my non-engineering mind how that would finish the crimp. Seems like it would be flat or maybe even a touch convex.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The old shells used a cardboard wad on top the shot and the crimp just rolled over the top. I still roll crimp if loading slugs, but use a rotary tool that fits in a drill press. The friction kind of melts the plastic into a ring at the top of the hull.

Top Bottom