• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Some googling and looking on the indiana gov website.. does anyone know for certain if children of a purple heart recipient can go to state college for free?

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    A Purple Heart recipient will likely qualify for a rating. They should see their county Veteran Service Officer (VSO) to file their claim.
    No rating. Was denied. Been through county office. So just trying to read off the states website and looked like it says purple heart is a qualifier. Didnt say had to have rating with the purple heart

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    It states on the in.gov website that: (it does use OR)

"The Tuition and Fee Exemption for Children of Disabled Veterans or Purple Heart Recipients provides up to 100% of tuition and regularly assessed fees for up to 124 semester credit-hours at Indiana public colleges and universities at the undergraduate resident tuition rate."

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    It states on the in.gov website that: (it does use OR)

"The Tuition and Fee Exemption for Children of Disabled Veterans or Purple Heart Recipients provides up to 100% of tuition and regularly assessed fees for up to 124 semester credit-hours at Indiana public colleges and universities at the undergraduate resident tuition rate."
    Thats what inwas thinking. So even without a rating should be able to get kids a college education

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    You know, now that I think about it, I think that the Purple Heart college tuition only applies to the actual recipient of the Purple Heart, and not the children. Unlike the disabled veteran tuition waiver which does apply to the children.

Hopefully someone smarter will come along and explain it for certain.

Here is the link from IU's site: If nothing else they do have contact information through the OVMP which should be able to answer your questions.

https://veterans.iupui.edu/edu-benefits/state/index.html#phr

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    You know, now that I think about it, I think that the Purple Heart college tuition only applies to the actual recipient of the Purple Heart, and not the children. Unlike the disabled veteran tuition waiver which does apply to the children.

Hopefully someone smarter will come along and explain it for certain.

Here is the link from IU's site: If nothing else they do have contact information through the OVMP which should be able to answer your questions.

https://veterans.iupui.edu/edu-benefits/state/index.html#phr
    Thanks for the link. Gonna have to look into more. I loathe our county rep but looks like I'll have to go be nice and talk to them

1SG USA Ret

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Pendleton
    Indiana Law used to state that children of a disabled veteran can attend any of the state funded schools with waived tuition. This applies to those veterans rated with a VA approved disability even if they were ZERO percent compensable. What Gaffer said 124 semester hours per child.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Indiana Law used to state that children of a disabled veteran can attend any of the state funded schools with waived tuition. This applies to those veterans rated with a VA approved disability even if they were ZERO percent compensable. What Gaffer said 124 semester hours per child.
    Yea. Don't even have a 0 rating just a denied. Have the purple heart. Website does said a rating OR purple heart. But the IU website doesn't say children of purple heart. Just confused

Top Bottom