Venting not all it’s cracked up to be, d@#n it!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I love how one study can determine what works for every single human alive. It's pretty awesome.

Wife and I have our vent sessions, get it out and move on. Not moving on from it is what keeps people angry, not the venting part. But hey, I've already learned on ingo that depression is just being a ***** and now venting is wrong so thanks ingo!

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I can see both things. I yell at traffic all the time and then move on 30 seconds later. I doubt this is what the article is talking about though. I've been in situations where part of me wants to let go and rage but then another part of me notes that it won't actually help the situation, it will only fuel the fire. As noted, thinking through a situation and how to move forward is usually the only solution but venting does not help you think.

Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    Reminds me of some people I know on Facebook. They will post something like, "Impeach Biden!! Keep it going". What in the he|| do they they do this?

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I can see both things. I yell at traffic all the time and then move on 30 seconds later. I doubt this is what the article is talking about though. I've been in situations where part of me wants to let go and rage but then another part of me notes that it won't actually help the situation, it will only fuel the fire. As noted, thinking through a situation and how to move forward is usually the only solution but venting does not help you think.
    Some of us leaving it bottled up lets it compound with interest. A little vent valve to release the pressure allows us to think things clearer and walk it through to its logical conclusion.

But hey, INGO says I'm not even a man so don't listen to me.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Some of us leaving it bottled up lets it compound with interest. A little vent valve to release the pressure allows us to think things clearer and walk it through to its logical conclusion.

But hey, INGO says I'm not even a man so don't listen to me.
    I don't think anyone would say you should keep it bottled that would mean you're not addressing the issue.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Venting doesn't dissipate anger?

Sounds like the appropriate scientific principle to apply to this conclusion is the NSS algorithm, named for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's most popular protagonist.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We're not all the same. I think getting something off your chest and then moving on is healthy, as long as you don't hurt others when you do it. Some people want to complain about the same thing over and over, and resolve nothing. When my husband was working, he'd come home and complain about work, over and over. It stressed me out and then i'd be in a bad mood as well. It didn't help him at all. We made a house rule that we can't vent more than 15 minutes about that type of thing.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Couple possibilities:

”Dealing with a problem” is not the same as “venting.”

”Venting” as referred to in the article linked is a euphemism for “temper tantrum.”

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yeah. I saw myself out if that "discussion".
    you weren't discussing, you were throwing labels and ignoring everything but your opinion. There's a difference. Look, I was a denier for a long time. One of the "just think happy thoughts, what is your problem" type people at one time. When I could no longer "just be happy", things changed.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Couple possibilities:

”Dealing with a problem” is not the same as “venting.”

”Venting” as referred to in the article linked is a euphemism for “temper tantrum.”

Generally, speaking, it seems like when someone "vents" their anger, they just want someone else to agree with them....and that would have a tendency to reinforce the anger, not get rid of it.

As I have gotten older, I found it more useful to not play into my own emotional anger. What good does that do? Sure, getting angry in the moment is natural, but dwelling on it and gathering allies to tell you how right you are only keeps it going and solves nothing.

You are correct- "Venting" is not solving the problem. If there is a problem to be solved, work on solving it. Anger isn't going to help. If it's just a situation that made you angry, but there's nothing to do about it, let it go. Watch some dashcam videos if you want examples of people taking minor bad driving and turning it into the most important thing of the day with horn blowing, yelling, etc. I'm telling you, that doesn't make you feel better. Thinking "idiot" and then immediately moving on to your tasks, and getting whatever the perceived sleight was, does.

The anger reaction has some similarities to panic- you have your natural reaction in the moment, but it does no good and when you calm down, you still have a problem to deal with.

Top Bottom