• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I've done jerky, smoke sausage, snack sticks, canning, grinding, breakfast sausage etc. Do any of you have a favorite process recipe?

I break down and package my own. By about this time of year, when I get fresh meat, I go ahead and (almost)thaw any of my vacuum sealed venison from last year. I try to break the new deer down in the largest portion size I can(roasts). I vacuum seal the roasts. Any trimmings to grind, I mix with beef fat, and last season's meat. All meat and fat is mixed, being generous with the fat, and ground up and stuffed into 1# or 2# sausage bags. We here really like that ground burger meat well into the following Sumer.

I have very little freezer burn, if any at all. All the burn is easy to see and eliminate. All silver skin is also removed. Me? A hillbilly? maybe so. I'm just gonna say the results are worth the effort, or I would use the old meat for yote and snapper bait.

Last edited:

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    By the way........Do any of you know a good source for edible beef trimmings heavy in fat, or just beef fat? I hit a meat market in New Pal for it last year. I gave over $3 a pound. I thought that was high, but Supply/Demand.

Today I went to a great little meat market in Maxwell, and they also had the pure fat for $3. I would highly recommend the market, but the fat seems high. Maybe it's me that's out of line? I'm pretty sure I bought packer brisket for $2 a pound. I know I got whole pork shoulder for .99/lb.

Top Bottom