• ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This makes me absolutely sick.

"This defendant's chilling determination is a stark reminder that there are people -- even here in Oregon -- who are determined to kill Americans," Dwight C. Holton, U.S. Attorney for the District of Oregon, said in a statement . "The good work of law enforcement protected Oregonians in this case -- and we have no reason to believe there is any continuing threat arising from this case."

Somali-American accused of plotting to bomb Oregon tree-lighting event - CNN.com

The only thing that makes me sicker is think of how many folks will now have an idea to do something similar.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It just seems amazing that NONE of these plots ever work... what are the odds that every single ONE would fail?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    According to the story I read, the guy may have had some intent, but the plot was fabricated in its entirety by the Feds. Sure, he may have decided to do it, but the feds incited him to do it. This seems to be a reoccurring theme in these types of busts. Can't help but wonder if he'd never have done anything if the feds hadn't incited him to.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    According to the story I read, the guy may have had some intent, but the plot was fabricated in its entirety by the Feds. Sure, he may have decided to do it, but the feds incited him to do it. This seems to be a reoccurring theme in these types of busts. Can't help but wonder if he'd never have done anything if the feds hadn't incited him to.

That's a very good point. The old saying "give them enough rope to hang themselves" comes to mind. It would be interesting to see how much encouragement he got vs. opportunity to take the next step. I.e. was the undercover Federal Agent giving him the ideas, or allowing the suspect to come ujp with the ideas, and he just helped with the creation of the device.

Sounds like from the article the individual in question had the original idea, and had asked for help in constructing and excuting the device. Either way, it is interesting how deeply involved the FED was.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The article I read said flat out that the feds gave him the "bomb". That adds a whole different level of incitement to it. They did the same thing with the guy in Dallas last year. The feds are just grabbing the easiest, low hanging fruit and creating "terrorists". Just another "keep the masses scared and on edge" scheme.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/11/27/us/AP-US-Portland-Car-Bomb-Plot.html?hp

The key here is in the statement..."The public was never in any danger".

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The article I read said flat out that the feds gave him the "bomb". That adds a whole different level of incitement to it. They did the same thing with the guy in Dallas last year. The feds are just grabbing the easiest, low hanging fruit and creating "terrorists". Just another "keep the masses scared and on edge" scheme.

Would be interested in your source as well...since CNN is typically more interested in "Shock and Awe" in its reporting versus putting together a good factual story.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    It just seems amazing that NONE of these plots ever work... what are the odds that every single ONE would fail?

About 1:1, if my math is right.

Add incite to the list of words you don't understand the meaning of. He initiated contact with someone in Pakistan. The Feds closed the loop.

The crazy thing is that if the Feds had done nothing, this guy hooked up with somone capable of building a bomb, he detonated it and killed and injuried a bunch of people, you and your Libtard buddies would be railing on the government about how they were so incompetent because they know about this guy and did nothing.

redlegrod

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I think the older I get the more cynical I get. Every time I read something like this happening the tin foil hat wearer in me can't help but think this is the gubmint trying to keep scaring us to keep taking our freedoms away.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    OK. So do I have this right? The Feds hooked up with a wannabe terr, gave him a fake bomb and encouraged him to plant and detonate it. Then after the fake bomb doesn't detonate - that's when they bust him and make a media splash?

Compare and contrast this with the so-called "Time Square Bomber" from earlier this year. The guy actually built and planted a bomb tied to detonate it but it did not work. Then he nearly escapes the country.

In which case does LE seem to be more competent at foiling a domestic terrorist attack? The one that they seem to have set up or the one where the bomber was incompetent?

Just asking folks to give it some thought...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Keep up that kind of talk and you might get elected to something...

no one would be able to hear anything but beeping if I gave a debate on TV since I would drop the F-bomb every 4 words or so from being so pissed at the coarse and coruption in our country. im not refined enough to be a corupt politician. that line of work takes a special kind of weezle. im just a d***. I still believe that if people betray the United States they should be shot. i wouldnt make friends in the media, and to get elected now days you need to have at least one network in your back pocket since a lot of Americans will fall for liberal BS. im better at war than backroom deals.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    no one would be able to hear anything but beeping if I gave a debate on TV since I would drop the F-bomb every 4 words or so from being so pissed at the coarse and coruption in our country. im not refined enough to be a corupt politician. that line of work takes a special kind of weezle. im just a d***. I still believe that if people betray the United States they should be shot. i wouldnt make friends in the media, and to get elected now days you need to have at least one network in your back pocket since a lot of Americans will fall for liberal BS. im better at war than backroom deals.

That is why you will be my defense go to guy when Im King.......I mean Ruler....ohhhhh President...yea thats it!!!

Seriously the dude was out looking for a way to blow some people up. Figures the gubberment actually does something HALF-arsed right and people cry he was set up! PC is killing this country time to call a spade a spade.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    In reading the CNN article, it seems that Mr. Somalia wanted to blow-up some people. I don't believe the Feds encouraged him to do this. The article said he had wanted to commit violent jihad since he was 15. This case doesn't seem any different than the ones where a person takes out a "contract" on their spouse. Then when the money is paid, they are arrested because the "contract killer" is an undercover police officer.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    OK. So do I have this right? The Feds hooked up with a wannabe terr, gave him a fake bomb and encouraged him to plant and detonate it. Then after the fake bomb doesn't detonate - that's when they bust him and make a media splash?

Compare and contrast this with the so-called "Time Square Bomber" from earlier this year. The guy actually built and planted a bomb tied to detonate it but it did not work. Then he nearly escapes the country.

In which case does LE seem to be more competent at foiling a domestic terrorist attack? The one that they seem to have set up or the one where the bomber was incompetent?

Just asking folks to give it some thought...

They also gave him citizenship.

Top Bottom