• ...and so much more!
  • areamike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    Monticello, IN
    Hi All,

First off, I've never owned a red dot until now. I only bought one to try on my Shield Plus OR. I did a HUGE amount of research to initially find red dots that would fit the Shield Optic cut. The amount of info out there is confusing at best. After extensive reading, investigating etc. I never found a clear answer as to the plethora of mounting footprints. Frankly, my friggin' head hurts and I'm almost at the point of giving up and just slapping this red dot on one of my AR's at a 45 degree angle.

But, I digress. The reason for my post is I'm trying to figure out how to mount this red dot on my Shield Plus. Everything I read says this red dot should fit with no adapter plate and is ready to go. well, that does NOT seem to be the case. When I mount it to my Shield Plus, there is a noticeable gap between the base of the optic and the cut out on the slide. At first I thought maybe I need to file down the lugs like some others mention doing with other red dots, but I'm not really keen to taking a file to my new firearm yet.
    The Red Dot I have is the Vector Frenzy-S.
    Here's one bit of info I read through.

TLDR: Do I need a mounting plate to mount the Vector Frenzy-S to a Shield Plus OR? If so, which plate do I need?

Thanks, Mike

Last edited:

areamike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    Monticello, IN
    Vector frenzy???
    Ugh. Yes, it's the VECTOR Frenzy-S. I edited my original post and corrected my mistake.

I also found this info in the Specs for the Frenzy-S RDS.
    Footprint Shield standard
    Mounting Standard Shield RMS/SMS

Apparently, RMS/SMS is not the exact same as RMSc, which the Shield Plus allegedly has.

Last edited:

areamike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    Monticello, IN
    I tried to take as best of a picture that I could. You can clearly see light through the gap between the optic and slide.
    It almost seems as if the alignment holes on the optic aren't deep enough, or the 4 lugs they sit on are too tall. It seems to fit into the cut space perfectly, but just won't sit flush/flat on the top of the slide.

red_dot_shield_plus.jpg

areamike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    Monticello, IN
    Am I replying to myself? That's OK. Hopefully this may help others.
    I ended up ordering a "shim" that should help eliminate the gap. If it still won't work, I may just end up trying to mount this optic on the new GX4 OR I just ordered. I'm not sure what optics cut it has, so it may not fit at all.

I'll post back with results. New shim should be here Sunday the 12th.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Am I replying to myself? That's OK. Hopefully this may help others.
    I ended up ordering a "shim" that should help eliminate the gap. If it still won't work, I may just end up trying to mount this optic on the new GX4 OR I just ordered. I'm not sure what optics cut it has, so it may not fit at all.

I'll post back with results. New shim should be here Sunday the 12th.
    Was going to suggest a shim. Looks like everything lined up you just need a little extra clearance. Worst case you might be able to have someone fabricate something out of derlin or plastic?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Was going to suggest a shim. Looks like everything lined up you just need a little extra clearance. Worst case you might be able to have someone fabricate something out of derlin or plastic?
    Just saw this, I was going to suggest a shim as well. I was thinking worst case a couple thicknesses of inner tube cut to fit or in at the very worst electrical or black duct tape. Add a layer at a time until it fills the gap.

areamike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    Monticello, IN
    I ended up putting the Frenzy-S red dot on my Taurus GX4 TORO and it fit perfectly. No gap and sits nice and flush. I'll just leave my Shield Plus without an optic.
    Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of optics on a CC firearm. I only picked up this optic since it was a great price and I have other options I could use it for.

areamike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    Monticello, IN
    Just picking up on this thread too ... @areamike, glad things worked out with your optic.

I'm with you, having a red dot on an EDC pistol isn't my cup of tea. They're super fun on the .22LR plinking pistols though.
    Thanks TJ.
    The nice thing about this optic is that it ticks all the boxes for what I would consider "acceptable" for an EDC.
    Auto on/off and you can co-witness with it should it fail. Only downside is the battery compartment is underneath.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Just picking up on this thread too ... @areamike, glad things worked out with your optic.

I'm with you, having a red dot on an EDC pistol isn't my cup of tea. They're super fun on the .22LR plinking pistols though.
    Same for me. I put my Holosun on my 44 magnum for deer hunting this coming season.
    I'm just so much faster with iron sights out to 15yds which is well within self-defense ranges. Past that I can see the usefulness of a red dot.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Thanks TJ.
    The nice thing about this optic is that it ticks all the boxes for what I would consider "acceptable" for an EDC.
    Auto on/off and you can co-witness with it should it fail. Only downside is the battery compartment is underneath.
    I suggest getting a nice night sight front post for any EDC. They are just a must have after practicing night shooting drills. A bright light is a must as well. Say 850 or higher lumen.

areamike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    Monticello, IN
    I suggest getting a nice night sight front post for any EDC. They are just a must have after practicing night shooting drills. A bright light is a must as well. Say 850 or higher lumen.
    My Shield Plus OR came with Night Sights. So, I'm good there. I also have a new GX4 TORO and I'll definitely be adding a front night sight to it. My only firearm I have a light on is my Night Stand pistol. Also, I am rarely out after dark, so I'm not too concerned about a light on my EDC.

Top Bottom