• ...and so much more!
  • Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Just about ready to dip my toes in the water and try a USPSA match. Does anyone here shoot cast bullets and if so what are the pros and cons. For me, it is way more affordable than jackets or plated and quite frankly I'm certain I won't be setting any records to start. I am a guy and competitive by nature so I want to do my best. Any tips are much appreciated.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    LOTS of people shoot cast bullets in USPSA. Even with my smokiest loads (over-lubed IBC 9mm over Red Dot), the smoke has never been an issue. You're always either not firing enough rounds for it to matter, or you're not standing in one spot long enough for it to.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    LOTS of people shoot cast bullets in USPSA. Even with my smokiest loads (over-lubed IBC 9mm over Red Dot), the smoke has never been an issue. You're always either not firing enough rounds for it to matter, or you're not standing in one spot long enough for it to.

That's a smoky load for sure.... Its great when there is no wind blowing and someone is shooting a compensated pistol and it looks like a coal locomotive.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I shoot lead. I really like the the coated bullets from Bayou Bullet. They are cleaner to load and don't smoke as bad.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Thanks for the input guys. I didn't want to be "that guy" sending up smoke signals with my cast loads and wind up being some sort of outcast on my first attempt. I went to a match as an observer and didn't see any plain lead being loaded up and was curious.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I shot lead for a year in USPSA with no problems. I now exclusively use Black Bullets International coated bullets. Chandler makes great bullets at a great price and ships for free.

Top Bottom