Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Per the USPSA rules on barrels in production class-

BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you may
    replace the barrel with an OEM or aftermarket barrel
    which is of the same length, contour and caliber as
    the original barrel for that model of gun.
    Special Notes/Clarifications:
    For purposes of this interpretation, a barrel within
    +/- 0.1” of OEM is “the same length”.

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Would it really matter if a conversion barrel was used at a club match by a non uspsa member?

Still the same deal, unless it was some kind of "outlaw style" USPSA match that didnt run 100% by the book.

So, you can either run the .40 in production ( I did it for a while), or if you are really wanting to shoot the 9 and not be concerned about scoring. You can drop the barrel in and run open to get the practice. Personally, I would just go with the 40. You are limited to the same round count (10 in the mag), same gear limitations and if you ever plan on running the same gun in 9mm later down the road the learning curve should be minimal. Only down fall would be a minor recoil difference and a little added cost to shoot the bigger round.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Does anybody know the history or reasoning for this rule? I can understand requiring that production guns remain stock, but that is still not the case. A person can change sights, recoil springs, lighten triggers, use aftermarket barrels, add weighted recoil spring guides, use skateboard tape, etc. But we can't convert calibers. Other then a little less recoil and less expensive ammunition there is no advantage. These advantages are only true for those that don't reload. Seems to me the people interested in caliber conversions are those new to the sport, already own a gun and do not yet reload. So why would USPSA or a local club not encourage new shooters?

Maxamillion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Does anybody know the history or reasoning for this rule? I can understand requiring that production guns remain stock, but that is still not the case. A person can change sights, recoil springs, lighten triggers, use aftermarket barrels, add weighted recoil spring guides, use skateboard tape, etc. But we can't convert calibers. Other then a little less recoil and less expensive ammunition there is no advantage. These advantages are only true for those that don't reload. Seems to me the people interested in caliber conversions are those new to the sport, already own a gun and do not yet reload. So why would USPSA or a local club not encourage new shooters?

That was my thoughts exactly. I purchased my first gun, a glock 22, this summer and thought the ammo savings and lower recoil of a 9mm might make my first competition more enjoyable.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    My thought process was "A M&P9 is legal and a M&P40 is legal so why wouldn't one turned into the other be legal".
    Guess I could use this as a very good reason just to buy another gun :):

BROBERTS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Warsaw IN.

When we signed on to run a USPSA match we sign up to use the same rules weather you on the east coast or west. There are no local rules just USPSA.
    We try to help out a new shooters any way we can but bending rules shouldn't be one of them.

You can change the barrel and shoot limited but use 10rds and look at the combined scores to see were you place at. Get caught in production with it and you will be in open.
    Or sign up in limited and load up and have fun. More bullets the better!!!:ar15:If your new I would sign up with what you have and worry about safety rules and good gun handling skills after a few match see what you think then.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The USPSA rulebook like many other things in life can really hurt you if you are looking for logic and common sense. The other side of the coin is that it is easier to head off problems but simply not allowing something. These shooters will take a mile if given an inch.

Top Bottom