• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    My son will graduate Marine Corps boot camp next month. I'd like to get him a nice "combat knife" for his graduation. I'm not looking for a show piece, but more of a knife he can use in his service. I've seen the Ka-bar options, but I'm thinking these are more of a historical piece these days. If any engraving, it will be minimal. Again, I'm looking for something he can use, not throw in a drawer. Any suggestions?

Proud Papa.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    1618485877130.jpeg

No, in all honesty, big love to you for raising a man of honor, and to him for serving his country!

As to the knife, that can go a lot of ways depending if you want it to be part of his kit or more as a decorative gift. For a utilitarian blade, some of the other folks who served might provide some better insight as to regulations and truly useful tools beyond a “combat” knife. Without knowing regs, my first suggestion might be a medium sized fixed blade that would take some abuse, like an ESEE 4 or 5. Something that might not draw a lot of attention from the unit quartermaster or a stickler NCO (if applicable) and that might not be missed to much of something happens to it.

Look forward to hearing some more input!

Congrats again.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    If you want him to use it... a mid size folder. 4inch blade is stretching it. Depending on Mos, maybe a nice leatherman would be a great thought. Fixed blades are a strict no go. The only time we were allowed to handle a fixed blade was bayonet/ knife training and sere school. I was issued a Gerber like this...

If that helps any. Either way, welcome him to the corps for us. He still has a long way to go, and the hard part comes later. With the right support, he'll be home and missing it before he knows it.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Super congratulations to your Son! An achievement that few can really relate to! 23 years active duty here.... Temper your thoughts of the knife gift with the thought that "if the Marine Corps wanted him to have a knife, they would issue him one." :cool: While a K-bar is great thought, I suspect he will be unable to carry it, usefully, anywhere, whether it be in the field or in garrison. (uniform and Base/Unit regs). Might I suggest going to a military related web site (Sgt. Grit, comes to mind - https://www.grunt.com/) (I have no relationship with the site). You will find a multitude of gifts to suit the occasion. If you choose a knife, you can find a lot to choose from. Tell your Son, Semper Fidelis, from a really old "Grunt".

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Congratulations!

After 11 years in the Corps this is my perspective - there is no finer way to welcome a young warrior into the big green gun club than with a USMC K-bar. I carried mine around the world for more than a decade. It is in my nightstand. And if I were only allowed to keep a single of my knives, this would be the one. I would not part with it for any other knife.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Go with the Kabar. I carry mine quite a bit when I’m the field. With everything else we carry, what’s a few more ounces?

Check out TomarsKabars. They carry most any Kabar and will engrave it for you. Mine has the reference Ephesians 6:10-13 on it, and means quite a bit to me. I’ve killed alligators and hogs with it, so it’s gotten some use.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I never regretted having my Gerber Mk 1 or 2 on my belt. Best fighting knives ever. Originals are hard to find now though.

Swords are good gifts too...

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    My son will graduate Marine Corps boot camp next month. I'd like to get him a nice "combat knife" for his graduation. I'm not looking for a show piece, but more of a knife he can use in his service. I've seen the Ka-bar options, but I'm thinking these are more of a historical piece these days. If any engraving, it will be minimal. Again, I'm looking for something he can use, not throw in a drawer. Any suggestions?

Proud Papa.
    Congratulations proud Papa....and thanks your son on my behalf!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Proud Papa.
    My son bought this when he deployed and still carries it as his edc.

He bought the none serrated version. You can also get it "PERSONALIZE WITH LASERMARKING"

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    I don't have much to offer in terms of your question, just wanted to say congrats! My son graduated from basic a few months ago, and is about 2 weeks away from finishing up at ITB. It sounds like they are just starting to open graduations back up, so hoping you will be able to go out and see it. We had some friends come over and we watched the FB stream, better than nothing, but sure sucked to not be able to go.

I'll defer to these guys on knife choices. But the leatherman is a good idea. I think my son picked one up at the MCX at Camp Pendleton not long after getting there, just a useful thing to have. And he was there a bunch earlier on dealing with the cell phone issues (let me know if you haven't heard about that yet).

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    If you want him to use it... a mid size folder. 4inch blade is stretching it. Depending on Mos, maybe a nice leatherman would be a great thought. Fixed blades are a strict no go. The only time we were allowed to handle a fixed blade was bayonet/ knife training and sere school. I was issued a Gerber like this...

If that helps any. Either way, welcome him to the corps for us. He still has a long way to go, and the hard part comes later. With the right support, he'll be home and missing it before he knows it.
    I liked this suggestion so much I just bought one for myself. :)

Congratulations in advance to your son!

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I liked this suggestion so much I just bought one for myself. :)

Congratulations in advance to your son!
    As I was typing that response, I remembered how much I liked that knife. I know a lot of us snuck it home. I have mine away to a young marine I got close to as a parting gift.

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    Congratulations, I myself just did a ton of research regarding what to get my son for his graduation of Marine Corps bootcamp and I ended up getting him a really nice blade marked WWII issue Ka-Bar to keep, a new Case XX USMC fighting knife in a Peloza sheath for the field, and a compression lock Spyderco PM2 for everyday carry. I told him to get what multi tool he likes best and he's all set.
    He's been gone since July and probably won't be home until late June
    It's a shame these fine young men and women can't have families attend graduation, or get boot leave because of COVID.
    SEMPER FI, Marine ️

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    As I was typing that response, I remembered how much I liked that knife. I know a lot of us snuck it home. I have mine away to a young marine I got close to as a parting gift.
    You say none folders are not allowed in the Marines or did I misunderstand your post earlier? My son attached his right to his gear when he deployed. Army.

Top Bottom