US Sen. Richard Lugar, Champion of the RKBA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Gimme a break, I'm not stupid. :n00b: I just wanted you to click in and read this. :D

What follows is a letter I emailed to Sen. Lugar not too long ago. I just received a reply to this yesterday, the text of which follows my letter.

Dear Senator Lugar,

The elections for this year are over and a new Chief Executive has been chosen. I must admit that Mr. Obama's previous voting record and his ties to others who do not have the best interests of my country at heart disturb me greatly. Specifically, he seems to have a great lack of respect for our Constitutional protections for the right to keep and bear arms. I am aware of the Democrats' and sadly, your own proclivity to continue to defy the Supreme Court and the Constitution in further attempts to add more restrictions onto and to criminalize citizens who want nothing more than to be able to defend themselves when attacked. I am also aware of bills proposed and now sitting dormant in committee that would further this goal.

Senator, I urge you in the strongest terms not to pass these ill-conceived bills into law. Our country needs to control violent criminals, not objects.

I join many other lawful gun owners in informing you and those others with whom you vote that your votes will be watched and while we cannot change them once you make them, we can do everything in our power to remove from office those persons who have been elected but who refuse to represent their constituents, choosing instead to force us to decide whether to obey the law or to refuse to be victims-when we should be able to do both.

A reply to this letter would be appreciated.

Most sincerely,

(name)
    (city), IN

Dear (name):

Thank you for following up with me to reiterate your concerns about reauthorization of the Assault Weapons Ban. I appreciate knowing of your continuing interest in this matter.

As I shared with you previously, I support the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens to possess firearms for sporting, collecting, and defensive purposes; likewise, I support Indiana law related to the purchase and ownership of firearms. Indiana's Constitution provides both a liberty and a property right to bear firearms, which is stronger Second Amendment protection than the residents of many states enjoy.

Should legislation to reauthorize the Assault Weapons Ban or other similar proposals come to the Senate for consideration, I will carefully review each with your concerns in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Richard G. Lugar
    United States Senator

You know, if I didn't know better, and if I didn't follow voting records, I might be persuaded to believe that Sen. Lugar is actually pro-2A, Conservative, and truly interested in maintaining or increasing our lawful ability to exercise those rights. Nonetheless, I have it in writing and now, so do all of you. If he actually votes in accordance with his above-stated position, he might (might) keep my vote. If not, he has no chance of doing so, barring someone like Jill Long Thompson running for his seat.

Blessings,
    B

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Lugar is (or at least was) a supporter of the AWB. I pressed him hard one day and he admitted it. I do not trust him to uphold any conservative ideals, and certainly not gun rights. He is as 'moderate' as they come in the GOP and, I believe one of the big problems in the Republican party because he seems to stand for very few principles of the traditional GOP platform and always seems willing to negotiate to a centrist position.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I believe it was the attempt to pass the ban on lawsuits against manufacturers that had a bunch of amendments added which destroyed the intent of the law, and authorized a bunch of anti-gun stuff. The writer of the bill asked that it be voted down due to the addition of the amendments. 92 senators voted against the stuffed bill as asked. Of the eight that voted for it, Mr. Lugar was one of them. Our democrat senator actually voted the way the people requested. Lugar is a closet banner!

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Lugar is a closet banner!

Nothing closet about it. Lugar and the then Sen. Coats voted for the AWB. Coats had first promised to vote against but afterwards claimed Lugar strongarmed him into voting for it. Lugar is worse than worthless, he's a reliable enemy of the RKBA.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hey we have a NWI letter writing campaing going right now for Pete.
    Can we re-use your letter or start another one to also flood his mailbox.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    We are too QUIET, us gun owners, hunters, collectors, target shooters, I always had the gut feeling the few times I have heard Lugar speak publicly that this man is no friend of mine! We must let all our friends know and all the voters in his district, it seems he has a lifetime seat though?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hey we have a NWI letter writing campaing going right now for Pete.
    Can we re-use your letter or start another one to also flood his mailbox.

I have no problem with the thoughts I expressed in my letter being used to contact another rep. I used only slightly different wording writing to Mr. Buyer and Sen. Bayh, addressing party differences and differences in voting records as well.

Of note, though Sen. Lugar theoretically "signed" and sent that reply to me, I have little belief that he ever saw it. I'm guessing an intern or someone else in his office picked and chose certain canned sentences and stuck them together to make a letter to send me. Of note, however, whoever actually composed the letter took the time to note that I'd mailed before, and that I'd done so on this subject. Either they get so few letters on the topic that mine were memorable.... or they have a database indicating what topics particular voters have written on. Somehow, I don't think my letters were that memorable.

Blessings,
    B

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As I shared with you previously, I support the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens to possess firearms for sporting, collecting, and defensive purposes; likewise, I support Indiana law related to the purchase and ownership of firearms. Indiana's Constitution provides both a liberty and a property right to bear firearms, which is stronger Second Amendment protection than the residents of many states enjoy.

Should legislation to reauthorize the Assault Weapons Ban or other similar proposals come to the Senate for consideration, I will carefully review each with your concerns in mind.

I've seen this same crap in many responses from his minions. He will never commit to actually supporting and pro-RKBA legislation or to actually opposing any anti-RKBA legislation. He will virtually always support anything like the Crime Act of 1994 and its bastard offspring that will haunt us in years to come.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Many, many years ago, my grandfather made a comment within the hearing of my mother that what would benefit his small town the most was "a few good funerals".

Leaving aside his political views and now hers also, I must say that while I would not do anything to bring this about personally nor would I engage the services of anyone who would, I think that a similar thing would greatly benefit our country as well: A whole lot of good funerals, and the replacement of those who'd passed with others who actually understand and respect what this country is about and what our Constitution means.

For the attention of the US Secret Service, FBI, DHS, and any other involved "alphabet agencies", please note that while I included in the above my very obvious disclaimer, I did not do so solely for your benefit. The only threat I pose to our elected officials is at the ballot box, when they fail to uphold their sworn oaths, and then the only threat I pose against them is the removal of them from power. May they all live long and happy lives however may they do so out of positions of power that will harm my country and my fellow citizens.

Blessings,
    B

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    This is an example of where we need to follow up and not let them blow us off. These non-commitment (form letter) replys need to stop. We need to press them to get a reply on how they actually feel (although we may already know).

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You'll have better luck getting the right number combination on the Lottery, any lottery winning ticket, than getting a politician to commit to any one thing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    The only threat I pose to our elected officials is at the ballot box, when they fail to uphold their sworn oaths, and then the only threat I pose against them is the removal of them from power. May they all live long and happy lives however may they do so out of positions of power that will harm my country and my fellow citizens.

Blessings,
    B

+1

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    I will be writing the man. When you mention closet whatever I believe he is still there. That's why he can step across and shake the liberals hands.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Kinda on another trail. A friend wrote a letter to his Senator and got an obvious form letter. He wrote back complaining about the form letter and got another form letter in return. After he wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper and another letter to the Sanator he finally got a personal answer. :):

Top Bottom